Dries Van Noten F/W 2015.16 Paris - Page 3 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
04-03-2015
Fat Karl

Hmm...I don't know. I'm all for a distinct and deeply personal point of view from a designer, but I just feel like Dries' work the last couple of seasons now just looks and feels like autopilot. He needs to switch up something...a new stylist? A new runway location? A new casting director?

I mean - it's always gorgeous and sumptuous...but I just don't find it interesting anymore. This doesn't feel like a part of the here and now.

04-03-2015
front row

It's incredible how he can always find a way to match, mix, and highlight different printsnin his collection! This was superb! Elegant and refined but made a bit complex with the severity of the prints as well as the modernity of the silhouette!

04-03-2015
V.I.P.

I love this, he pulled off an incredible feat - taking us to China without turning it into a caricature. I saw no Mandarin collars, no hair that resembled the Qing dynasty headdresses, etc. A very tasteful appropriation of culture.

04-03-2015
chaos reigns

Is Dries infalible? How can he deliver amazing collections season after season when other equally or maybe even more brilliant designers collapsed against the pressure of the industry? Here we see easy, we see wearable and we see a bit of dream. Isnt this what makes great fashion? I loved the collection in its entirety. I especially liked the khaki+navy blue pairings, and of course, the prints. Impeccable.

vertebrae by vertebrae

Love... this is everything I need right now

04-03-2015
V.I.P.

i generally love dvn's collections, and this one is no exception. however, i didn't really like the spring collection. thus, i am super pleased to see that he's returned to form with this one, by using his eclectic amalgamation of sophisticated cuts, textures and colours. i love how he's interpreted the cargo looks here; he takes a "street" casual look and transforms it into the height of elegance.

Fashion: Donít you recognize me? Death: You should know that I donít see very well and I canít wear glasses. Fashion: Iím Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, ďDialogue Between Fashion and Death.Ēabridged

Last edited by Not Plain Jane; 04-03-2015 at 08:16 PM.
04-03-2015
tfs star

Amazing!

flaunt the imperfection

exquisite~!

just when i think he's exhausted his design vocabulary, he's found a new way to express his classic motifs...

can we give a hand to the incredible styling here as well?!

j'adore~

Last edited by softgrey; 05-03-2015 at 12:02 AM.
05-03-2015
backstage pass

Oh my God this is everything! It sounds crazy but it's like what a modern version of Marlene Dietrich would wear on a trip to the Orient. It's beyond fab!

05-03-2015
MON
V.I.P.

The prints made everything too busy for me. It's unappealing and somehow the collection looked unflattering. It's not the worst collection I've seen but I somehow expected more

05-03-2015
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by dior_couture1245 View Post
Hmm...I don't know. I'm all for a distinct and deeply personal point of view from a designer, but I just feel like Dries' work the last couple of seasons now just looks and feels like autopilot. He needs to switch up something...a new stylist? A new runway location? A new casting director?

I mean - it's always gorgeous and sumptuous...but I just don't find it interesting anymore. This doesn't feel like a part of the here and now.
I kind of agree with you. I have tremendous amount of respect and love toward Dries. He's been so genuine and talented for so many years! But we have to be honest, he's probably past the peak of his creativity, and creativity is the most critical for fashion to be exciting and relevant. There's hardly anything in this collection that you can't find in his archive, including the styling. This collection is basically just classic Dries, lots of lovely pieces that his loyal customers would love and keep buying, but it doesn't look modern; the styling, the silhouette, the way he uses the "oriental" embroidery and prints, I swear he has done all these in his archive, and also done in better ways. 5 years ago, there's no way I would have been bored by his runway collection, but I must say I am a bit bored by watching this.

05-03-2015
V.I.P.

This is such a gorgeous collection, I love it! I love how rich feel the colours, the styling is really on point, everything looks just so good. And I have to say this, for me this is one of a few collections that actually really feel fall winter. Mostly designers just don't do such a difference between SS and FW collections, but this is really lovely.

V.I.P.

very strong collection from ingenious designer.

05-03-2015
When in doubt, wear red.

Nobody does this kind of effortless nomadic elegance like him. It's not his best collection for sure but definitely superior than most of the things we've seen this season. As always I love the richness of the collection. I love how he can present such heavily inspired and intricate outfits without them looking like costumes or gimmicks. This time it seems like the whole collection is composed by variations of one piece of clothing or one element. Whether it is a print, a brocade, a color or a fabric. I love how this idea evokes clothes that we cherish so much we wish we could wear them all the time But also the idea of reinventing garments and not just buying them, wearing them all the season long then tossing them before jumping onto the next trend. I love this idea longivity and the second lives of garments. Especially because they aren't stricly minimal but vibrant and exuberant. Even the boldest pieces can be timeless basics.
As always the whole mix&match is done perfectly with the impeccable styling. I also love this new elongted silhouette, with the train. It's almost like a new kind of eveningwear , very romantic.

fashion elite

Well, there goes any chance of me wanting to look at the other collections from the other designers.

Leave it to Dries to pair plain, boring khaki (which I associate w/ American styles) with such lush, exotic Asian styles, and have the expertise and know-who to make it look super-chic and stylish. I can't recall seeing such a combo on any other runway.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this man is invincible.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dries, f or w, noten, paris, van