How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-09-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinRocks View Post
^ Well dont get through all of this ... A pair of pants and kimono never hurt a man ... I'm sure you can do fine without going through the sex change .... Unless you really want it, and thats another subject ...
I guess not everybody is fimiliar with the word "exaggeration" these days

27-09-2012
V.I.P.

OMG!!! I LOVE IT! How he combines nonchalance with femininity, ease with luxe - I don't know. But this is just an incredibly cool and stylish collection. I might quibble with some of the shoes, as others have mentioned, but otherwise, I love pretty much everything: the clothes and the accessories. Gorgeous!!

Fashion: Donít you recognize me? Death: You should know that I donít see very well and I canít wear glasses. Fashion: Iím Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, ďDialogue Between Fashion and Death.Ēabridged
27-09-2012
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGIN View Post
When i'm rich i'm hiring his stylist and getting a sex change just so I can wear all of this.
This is close on how I feel - Dries makes me groan with annoyance at how much I want to afford and wear his garments, last season it were those stunning (emphasis on that word) tailored jackets with the gold embroidery of the cranes, this season it's this coat (pictured below) and numerous other pieces such as that little top that looks as if it's made of upholstery fabric, the embroidered peplum jackets and those chiffon coats, all of which I can just imagine throwing on (once my maid had steamed them profusely )
The styling always helps so much also, it adds such a sense of nonchalance to his luxury. I just want to be a Dries woman!

style.com

27-09-2012
V.I.P.

He never fails, does he? I think that I actually prefer this to the F/W collection, the combination of the plaids and flower embroidery is rather soft and dreamy but also one that one can emulate relatively easily...since not everyone can afford DVN .

27-09-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiercification View Post
He never fails, does he?
Nope! I'm in love with the mix of patterns and fabrics, the texture and floaty silhouette. Dries is just the best at making stunningly wearable clothes, rich but simple at the same time

fashion elite

i looooove it. when you break it down the pieces are so chic, easy, and wearable. the print mixing always gives his collections another dimension.

27-09-2012
backstage pass

absolutely in love with and adore this collection.

27-09-2012
etre soi-meme

Quote:
There’s quite a feeling of sleepiness in this collection. Or maybe it’s extreme, private comfort.
CATHY HORYN "Paris, With a Slouch or a Sashay" #NYT

27-09-2012
Power to the 99%

^ The quilted pieces do look incredibly comfortable ... I wonder if I could get away with wearing them to work

I like the mistiness of it ... this collection looks so easy to wear compared to many of his others (especially for someone who's not crazy about prints!!).

Also wanted to note that Dries' price point is very reasonable, but I imagine some of the more embellished pieces (like the passementerie ones) will be at least somewhat pricey.

27-09-2012
front row

HOLY GOLLY!!!!!! This is absolutely amazing!!! Such amazing prints and pairing! Fantastic styling (as always)! Beautiful fabrics! Amazing construction! Glorious accessories! Dries completely outdid himself!!!!!! Love it so much!!!!!!!!

Last edited by gomtik; 27-09-2012 at 07:51 PM.
27-09-2012
Power to the 99%

style
Found this quite interesting ...

Quote:
September 26, 2012 PARIS

By Tim Blanks

One of grunge's most indelible images is Kurt Cobain in a floral dress thrashing paroxysmally at his guitar. On the surface, it's incongruous that such a vision should insinuate itself into the exquisite collection Dries Van Noten showed today, but Cobain's specter actually served as a useful reminder that Van Noten has become a designer from whom you can expect the unexpected association. He is a past master of nothing ever being quite what it seems, and his new collection easily ranked right up there with his other master-pieces. It was definitely Van Noten's most seductive investigation of the masculine/feminine dynamic that is at the heart of his aesthetic. Here, that dynamic was completely integrated with his other design concerns: his facility with prints and his fascination with the cloth and cut of haute couture.

There was a clear through-line to the men's collection Van Noten showed in June, where quintessentially male camo was reconfigured in quintessentially female lace and shantung. Here, he took plaid, another pattern whose association is mostly masculine, and reworked it in taffeta, organza, mousseline, and lamť. The first outfit laid out the game plan: plaid work shirt (organza), man's singlet (crepe), organza-backed skirt liberally crusted with flowers, and checker-print stilettos (though Van Noten nixed any literal inspirations, he did acknowledge that the shoes were a little bit Courtney Love). Paul Hanlon supplied an artful center-part with a couple of inches of grungy regrowth; Peter Philips created an opposite look with the perfectly made-up lips of a lady who lunches (the subtle but significant contributions of these collaborators are sadly all too easy to overlook in the ten or so pell-mell minutes of a fashion show). There you had it: grunge couture.

It was simplest, coolest in an oversize gray sweater (cashmere), layered with a plaid shirt (organza, again) hanging loose over floral-print pants (mousseline) over shorts (couldn't see). It was more complex when couture-friendly silhouettes, like emphasized hips on jackets, sack backs, peplums, or smock sleeves, were stirred into the mix with clashing plaids or faded florals, the latter absorbed from the dresses of the women in the Lucian Freud retrospective that Van Noten had seen and loved in London. One floral slipdress turned to reveal a plaid back, which felt like a straightforward distillation of the boy/girl thing. And those flowers were important too, because they were all screen-printed. Dries turned his back on the digital world, for this season at least, in favor of the pure craft of the human hand.

Underpinning the whole thing was a soundtrack that transmogrified girl songs (Amy's "Back to Black," Kylie's "Can't Get You Out of My Head," Karen's "Superstar") into guitar-driven male groan, underscoring the idea that if nothing is what it seems, it's equally true that nothing need be what it seems. Increasingly confident in his idiosyncrasies, Dries is going further Out There with the passage of time.

27-09-2012
botanizing on the asphalt

^thanks so much for for posting this, ta-ta. it's a great review of a great collection.

I loved this the moment I saw it...but I am a child of grunge and the mere
juxtaposition of plaids and florals triggered a lot of memories.

Only Dries could do a grunge collection that's youthful, but cool enough to appeal to a wide range of ages...I will definitely be looking for some sheer plaids for spring. Love the blond hair with dark roots too. :p

Lovely, lovely collection.

fashion icon

His collection is getting stronger, as a whole it was totally beautiful. Very easy wear.

28-09-2012
girl who fell to earth

I might have to look at this again, but I want to like it more than I actually do...
I'm just not as charmed this season as I usually am with Dries for whatever reason...

28-09-2012
V.I.P.

My fav collection right now. Everything was so lovely and cool (except from the granny shoes).

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, dries, noten, paris, s or s, van