How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-09-2013
V.I.P.

This is very hit or miss for me. I dislike all the ruffles. Even if they're done really well here, I still don't like what they make the garments look like (-> Christmas decoration). But some outfits here are super gorgeous, like this one and some of the looks with the florals. I really like the color palette, too - though I could do without the gold As a whole this collection speaks to me much more than most of his recent work.

25-09-2013
rising star

Wonderful collection ! Love it !

fashion icon

Dries has proven himself once again as a fantastic designer who keeps his excellent work up for season after season. How wonderful are those ruffled pieces and fabulous dresses (and usually I'm not even a fan of ruffles). Plus I love the mixture of golden baroque-ish pieces and the more bohemian and easy-going flower child looks. He's the epitome of good taste and masterful design. And it's probably my most favorite collection of the whole season

Last edited by yesitsdagny; 25-09-2013 at 12:15 PM.
25-09-2013
V.I.P.

I didn't think this brand would be able to top last season, but I was happily mistaken. Stunning.

When in doubt, wear red.

Dries collections are always so rich. They're rich in fabrics, rich in colors, rich in textures, in proportions, in prints , in ideas and references. Sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming but when it's done right there's nothing better. The silhouette is amazing, so many wearable and desirable pieces. I absolutely love the use of ruffles as an embellishment and all that gold . In his hands gold isn't tacky, ruffles aren't overbearing and brocade becomes so cool. One of the most exciting collections of the season for sure. All the girls look so chic yet not too contrived. Like girls on the go who spend their time travelling, wearing the clothes they feel the most confortable in and embellishing them with treasures and inspirations from their trips and as a result you get this new kind of exquisite exotic luxury.

trendsetter

For the first time I don't like a DVN collection. Usually one of the season's highlights, this collection was a miss for me. The first section, the "folk" section I guess, looked homely and old (not in terms of ideas, but as if they were actually fished out of long forgotten trunks). The dark and rustic color palette, heavy tassels, and vintage lace made it all rather drab. The last section was a little better, but in some looks the ruffles were consuming the girls. I did enjoy the subtle activewear elements - gold bandeau top, drawstring pant, bomber jacket, sweatshirts, tanks. Also stellar outwear throughout.

Last edited by VogueDisciple93; 25-09-2013 at 12:49 PM.
25-09-2013
V.I.P.

After seeing the Lemaire show, this seems so pretentious and heavy handed.

25-09-2013
front row

Finally, a TRULY TRULY fabulous collection of the season. I literally love everything. I love the gold.I love the embellishments. I love the ruffles, they're not too overdone. Love it, love it, love it.

Last edited by VersaceVixen009; 25-09-2013 at 01:36 PM.
25-09-2013
backstage pass

Well said Wolkfolk.

SUch a solid collection.

It's been some time since I've really liked a Dries collection. Not that there's ever been anything to not like about his particular brand of design; which is always similar, familiar and instantly personal. His is one that is distinctively casual and effortless and melds seamlessly into your existing wardrobe, and yet, still special. I think it's that earthy, instant-vintage and worldly charm that's also modern about Dries' designs that (never scream fashion) is the equivalent to comfort food. That's what's most admirable about his designs to me.

It takes a master of his craft, and one that is confident but not cocky, that can pull off shimmering gold without it looking costumey (Balmain), or tacky (Versace). Dries' slathering of shimmering gold ruffles and pleats reminds me of Helmut Lang's-- especially the swirling gold ruffles, just gentler and softer-- never a hint of pageantry, as befitting this gentleman's style. And in that sense, his golden women are all gentlewomen, without all that hard concept, and made extremely wearable. Which is another quality I admire about Dries; Everything he designs is meant to be worn by his customers. There are no runway-only pieces, gimmicky status "it" pieces, OTT-styling, or editorial-baits. Not that there's anything wrong with all those attributes, it's simply great to know a designer's capable of producing a collection that's wearable-- and so very distinct, without relying on any tricks.

For me, Dries's vision of the true gentlewomen is the most exciting and regal. And genuine.

25-09-2013
fashion insider

Stellar collection. I always exact something great.

25-09-2013
V.I.P.

still beautiful not his best show but as always there are some amazing pieces! i think the ruffles at the end look a bit of a mess though

V.I.P.

I feel like the woman who wears his clothes has such an understated ease, she's so in control but not in a frigid way. this is beautiful.

25-09-2013
V.I.P.

I was sure that everyone would hate this collection apart from me . Whilst I do have to admit that I find some of the looks to look a little cumbersome (the 8th look and the 'bed' one on Zlata), I love that he totally surprised me and produced something equal parts romantic and modern.

Plus he's one of the only designers who I'll gladly take the Oriental trend from, because he nails it every time!

25-09-2013
fashion icon

There's a few odd looks here and and there and little too much ruffles for me but beyond that it's utterly gorgeous.

25-09-2013
Alluring

Beautiful collection, there are so many gorgeous pieces. Love the styling, makes it all look perfectly effortless and yet so intriguing.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2014, dries, noten, paris, s or s, van