How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-09-2013
Stitch:the Hand

oh my....those explosions of pleats is a surprising a delight. the collection as a whole really does have a dose of mid-90's dries mixed with the classicism we've been seeing from him in recent years.

25-09-2013
fashion icon

I love those golds pop out, and his floral print is cooler than any print i've seen so far.

26-09-2013
i'm almost ready..

i almost get emotional when i see dries' collections. they just overwhelm me with their thoughtfulness and richness and beauty. my dream wardrobe would be filled with his clothes. i can't imagine a happier scene. this is remarkable...

27-09-2013
V.I.P.

Such an impressive collection. Love the materials and the design. Some of the looks looked a bit busy and harder to pull off if you're hips arent 88cm.

27-09-2013
front row

Beautiful collection, looks wearable. I agree about the floral print- so cool.

28-09-2013
fashion insider

“Strong women. Some glamour is involved.” Were that written in a job listing, who wouldn’t want in? In fact, the words are a statement of purpose from Dries Van Noten. Though spoken specifically about his spring collection, they could serve as the designer’s permanent tag line. Van Noten is a master of au courant power dressing. His clothes radiate a kind of glamour that, for all their abundant bells and whistles, telegraph a sense of comfort and psychological security.

Spring was a mélange of disparate elements brought into clear, fabulous focus. In advance of his exhibit in February at Les Arts Décoratifs, Van Noten went into its archives for 19th-century jacquards — rich, opulent florals — which he reproduced with glorious visual accuracy. He added pilings of ruffles: pleated, swirled and tightly packed. He countered the grand romance of the former and girlishness of the latter with earthy tribal weaves, and then contrasted the intense decorative nature of all three against raw, utilitarian cottons and linens. A tiny star print countered the scale of giant florals, and a barbed-wire print, their prettiness.

There were hints of the gypsy in billowing sleeves and full skirts (shades of Loulou de la Falaise) and of the choreographer Fong Leng in the structured frou. The audacious extravagance of it all might have turned decadent were Van Noten not a stalwart believer in form following function.

Here were clothes that work: the roomy jackets and pants with a hint of the Eighties; the trenchcoat over white shirt and black pants, perfectly discreet save for the flash of a dazzling gold vest; the sweaters which, whether finished in a dense thicket of artisanal fringing or with a flamboyant, ruffled swath, were merely sweaters.

It was a spectacular fusion of reality with showmanship. Strong women. Some glamour. Endless fashion.

Source: style.com

28-09-2013
front row

Alongside Junya Watanabe, one of the only two really brilliant collections this season thus far. A wonderful reclamation of gold from the clutches of fashion. Gold is no longer an indication of status or wealth, or something attention-seeking or tacky. Instead, it's elemental here, almost organic. And so more beautiful.

04-10-2013
V.I.P.

this is INCREDIBLE

shadedviewoffashion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6a00d8341c76e453ef019affb7e1bc970c-500wi.jpg (71.0 KB, 15 views)

04-10-2013
tfs star

It really is a return to his previous softer self that I preferred. And nobody does gold like Dries. I don't like the dark florals, a bit too heavy. (Haven't liked his prints in a while). All the same, looking at his work feels like home. <3

12-03-2014
flaunt the imperfection

funny- i had not been liking dries for so long that i never even bothered to look at this...
but this is OLD school dries...

this is the kind of dries i own and like to wear...
so glad he hasn't abandoned this type of thing altogether...

it's just pirate-y enough to make me happy...

12-03-2014
flaunt the imperfection

ha!- i hadn't read all the way through the thread -
but it seems that those of us who are long time fans are all of the same feeling...

bring back the old dries van noten~!!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2014, dries, noten, paris, s or s, van