How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-12-2003
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

those are very nice

09-12-2003
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by ignitioned32@Dec 9th, 2003 - 3:21 am
Couture should be all about original and new ideas.. reason why Versace and it's copy-cat Elie Saad should be asked to leave.
lol some things are reminiscent of older ideas, but I think the clothes are appealing but ur right, that is what couture has always, and should always be about : new ideas

front row

The dresses aren't very original, but they still are quite beautiful

11-12-2003
Mannikin

I don't really understand why the Chambre Syndicale de la Couture (French fashion's governing body) invited Versace to show Haute Couture in Paris. He takes ideas from everyone, understood what he was ripping off, and coated it in bright, beaded iconography and gold Orton mesh so that when it came out again no one could ignore it. His designed Pop Art dresses when Yves Saint Laurent's Mondrian Dresses and even Warhol's paper screen dresses got there first by 20 years ago or so. Rubberised minidresses channel Pierre Cardin; oversized, asymmetrical men's suits recall Yamamoto. His skintight leathers? Purely Alaia. Even Versace's revival of ruching for S/S 1997 - a trend that still doesn't show signs of stopping - can be traced to the classical draperies of Madame Gres. Versace tooks fashion's greatest hits, pumped them up, and gave them immediacy by linking them to a parade to famous bodies.

That kind of work cannot definetly be Haute Couture. It's all about originality and new ideas.

11-12-2003
windowshopping

elie z one of the best fashion designers in the middle east...n he had a big hit esp. after halle wore the dress he designed =)

i was planning to let him do my wedding dress...but i saw a better wedding dresses lines while i was in lebanon

11-12-2003
no tom ford, no thanks.

elie saab makes exquisite shows but i think suzy menkes said it best when she reviewed him in the internationa herald-tribune. she said he makes beautiful, amazing clothes, but what he showed was not the couture.

front row

I agree with Ignitioned...his clothes aren't anything new. They just look like Versace and even some of them look as tacky as Cavalli (yuck). Here's Garcelle Beauvais in a earlier Saab dress. Do you like his earlier stuff better?

15-12-2003
windowshopping

lucy i find his earlies stuff are much better than now!

16-12-2003
fashion insider

beautiful dresses themselves.
love the last 3 ones

thanks for posting the pictures

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
elie, saab