How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-08-2007
the crying of humanity

"Overpriced" doesn't even begin to describe this. Over $200 for a pair of black leggings, something you can find at most other stores for less than $20? It's nothing short of ridiculous and deceiving to say the collection is intended for women with a budget.

27-08-2007
backstage pass

Yes I probably wouldn't really have a problem with the pricing - except to say that it is expensive and I wish I could afford it, and the pricing is rather similar to The Row which seems odd to me. (Whats the point of creating two lines?)
The reason I DO have a problem with the pricing is the same as everyone else, they said the collection was designed for those who appreciate fashion but are unable to spend the money on high end designer items. The pricing seems higher end to me...
Too bad...

27-08-2007
& b

ridiculous prices for basic pieces.

some garments that are obviously not basic, are somewhat reasonably priced.

God Save McQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanutbutter View Post
I agree, which leads me to yet again question Ashley's quote from this WWD article: "...Elizabeth and James is intended for a woman who wants a designer garment but cannot afford it."

If a woman cannot afford a designer garment, how does she think they could find the money to pay for a pair of $275 jeans?
they probably have lived in this multi-millionaire bubble for so long they've forgotten what affordable means.

besides, everything in this collection can be found elsewhere for cheaper. it looks like stuff that you can find at h&m or forever 21. sure the quality and details won't be as good but they are trendy clothes that won't be worn forever. the only piece that really caught my eye on neiman's website was the hooded jacket.

27-08-2007
fashion elite

I understand their intentions behind E&J and why they feel the price might be justified in their minds. But I'm still a little let down because I really love almost everything from that line but I can't afford it all..

27-08-2007
DŌMMkammern

They say it's affordable just as "Marc by Marc Jacobs" is compared to the main line... or "&" is to Dolce & Gabbana... not for everybody, but definetly a lot more people...

backstage pass

^^ well I agree. E&J is basicaly the same price as The Row. The thing is I could affrod them, but honestly for basics I prefer to buy more elaborated pieces for that price, but I may surender soon and buy one V-neck from The Row or a blouse from E&J. We must admit they seems really good quality and good investment.

...hope it's not too off topic because there are thread for both of the lines.

Last edited by Overdrive; 27-08-2007 at 01:39 PM.
27-08-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by after__eight View Post
This is exactly what they are avoiding. That is why the olsen name is not on any of their new lines, they don't want kids to buy their stuff. They are now aiming at high fashion and they want the line to fall in the same category as couture. I bet if it wasn't mentioned that the Olsen's own the lines no one would have guessed it was from them. I actually think it's great what they are trying to do and it seems very successful so far, just imagine the money they are raking in with E&J and The Row.

They want their "affordable" line to fall into a couture category? I get that they want a fashionable and sophisticated line and they are not trying to market to tweens at this point. There isn't much difference between The Row and EJ in my opinion and there is a great scale of difference between The Row and their Walmart line. I thought by their own descriptions this line was going to be an inbetween and actually be affordable. My point is is that they would have had more success marketing to not neccessarily "kids" (I think the majority of their fans have grown up with them now) but youth with some sort of dispensable income. Dualstar (Walmart) has made these girls billionaires I'm sure Ej & The Row will not even come close.

rising star

is it too much to ask for a clothing line aimed towards girls like themselves minus a few millions lol. i mean i am not asking for a line like kate moss at topshop but something normal like marc by marc jacobs. im okay with spending 100 bucks on a plain white tee but i draw the line with the e&j line. i thought they finally answered my prayers too lol

27-08-2007
backstage pass

well, all the clothes i really like are out of my budget, so this is nothing new. but i have a feeling id sooner spend the extra $$ on a great pair of louboutins or marc jacobs than E&J. but then again, i guess the market theyre going for can easily afford that stuff and probably wouldnt know it was by Ash and MK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Angela~ View Post
If someone wants a similar pair of wedges like the black ones she's wearing in the smoking candids these look very close http://www.jildorshoes.com/product.c...ather/PI=46028
angela, good find, they do look close.

27-08-2007
fashion icon

Are they at least made well?

front row

Just saw the looks on Neiman Marcus online. They're not bad.....I'm just not that excited about another Philip Lim/Cynthia Vincent/Theory type of line. It's just not....fresh. I'll rather pay more for real fashion, not just clothes.

31-08-2007
trendsetter

I adore the hooded dress. I have no where to wear it but who cares? I want it.
The thing I find disappointing about E&J is that they (the olsens) don't seem to understand that Walmart and Neiman Marcus are two polar opposites on the spectrum of retail. There is certainly an in between like a mall store or less prestigous department store like Macy's. Being affordable doesn't have to mean Walmart prices and being quality doesn't have to mean hundreds of dollars at an exclusive store.

05-09-2007
fashion icon

^Ashley Olsen said she was good at seeing 'voids' in the market, but I think you have pointed out a void that seems a little more obvious than the upscale contemporary market. There are already a ton of labels out there that are doing what E&J is attempting to, but I can't think of any labels that provide similar cuts at department store prices.

trendsetter

I saw the line on Neimans too. It is not amazing design, but does look like some good staple pieces. I have been looking for some good skinny black pants that are not jeans. Their version looks hopfull, although it will no be shipped to November!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ashley, elizabeth, james, marykate, olsen