How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-06-2007
fashion icon

it's funny how people get all up tight and sh*t about celebrity lines, calling it trash and all. but when it comes to mk and ashley, everything is just cool.
im starting to see where tfs-ers stand.

im sure many like the pieces because they work for now. from what im seeing, the design wise is just like any other retail store stuff. (that blazer looks like this blazer i got from H&M last year...) im not judging on the quality yet, maybe it really is good quality. nonetheless, the line will sell solely on the name of mk and ashley.
aside from the designs...the name is cute, but a little cheeky for me. some people might get the wrong impression.

Last edited by kimair; 02-06-2007 at 10:11 PM. Reason: profanity

01-06-2007
V.I.P.

I don't get it - whats a contemporary line? And how is it different from their other brand "The Row"?

02-06-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUXU View Post
it's funny how people get all up tight and sh*t about celebrity lines, calling it trash and all. but when it comes to mk and ashley, everything is just cool.

from what im seeing, the design wise is just like any other retail store stuff. (that blazer looks like this blazer i got from H&M last year...) im not judging on the quality yet, maybe it really is good quality. nonetheless, the line will sell solely on the name of mk and ashley.
aside from the designs...the name is cute, but a little cheeky for me. some people might get the wrong impression.
agree with u, iT´s just like any other celeb line...

but I think that the concept in The Row is different and I like it... they really surprised me with the other collection

but this one, I cant find anything that I havent seen yet (in h&m or Zara). Moreover I´m not impress by the style seen in the pictures.

and hate the name...

Last edited by softgrey; 04-06-2007 at 03:13 PM.
02-06-2007
V.I.P.

^plus it's called sportswear...
it's maybe not supposed to be as 'fancy'

it is called sportswear, so... shouldn't it be clothing for sports? sorry i don't get the words

02-06-2007
trendsetter

it is called sportswear??? I didnt know that...

Ère de ℳodernité

Quote:
it's funny how people get all up tight and **** about celebrity lines, calling it trash and all. but when it comes to mk and ashley, everything is just cool.
Its not BECAUSE its MKA SO its cool !!! I'd like it even if it was a designer or just Zara !! I think its a bit narrow minded to say it and you present the persons who like the line like "sheeps" but you're definitely wrong.

I'vre read thats some of you think its H&M-ish but, personnally, i dont know how H&Ms are in foreign countries but mine, in France, never has this kind of clothes

V.I.P.

^But you'd never get so hyped up if there was just 4 outfits of normal Zara collection before the whole collection itself hits the shelves. And check the H&M Fall thread in this section.

I don't know if I like this idea...I think the row was "cool", but this just may be another celeb line...

02-06-2007
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuba01 View Post
I don't get it - whats a contemporary line? And how is it different from their other brand "The Row"?
That's retail speak. The Row is what is referred to as "designer," which is the most expensive category of clothing. Below that, you have "bridge," which would be like your See by Chloe or Badgley Mischka Platinum Label, just to name two similarly priced lines off the top of my head. Their price points are between designer and "contemporary," which is where Elizabeth and James falls. Its price points are in the same range as labels like Marc by Marc Jacobs, Diane Von Furstenburg, and Vince. I forget what the terms for lower-priced categories are, but I know that below contemporary there are the labels you would find in your lesser department stores, then mass-market retailers like Target or Wal-Mart, and then consignment stores like TJ Maxx. Hope that helps - I was only a fashion retail major for a semester - I'm pre-med now, so most of that stuff has left my brain completely.

Last edited by rochasfille; 02-06-2007 at 05:54 AM.
02-06-2007
V.I.P.

Thanks! That helps a lot!

02-06-2007
bee
front row

Quote:

They do seem to have much more experience with clothing lines than other celebrities. They've been doing their Walmart line since their early teens (or pre teens?) I realize that they have received a lot of help with their first line, but it's not like they're just jumping on the celebrity line bandwagon.

Last edited by kimair; 02-06-2007 at 10:12 PM.
02-06-2007
the crying of humanity

Quote:
With wholesale prices ranging from $40 for T-shirts to $452 for a fox-fur trim coat, Elizabeth and James is intended for a woman who wants a designer garment but cannot afford it, she said.
I'm not really seeing how this is affordable.

tailored

Quote:

im sure many like the pieces because they work for now. from what im seeing, the design wise is just like any other retail store stuff. (that blazer looks like this blazer i got from H&M last year...) im not judging on the quality yet, maybe it really is good quality. nonetheless, the line will sell solely on the name of mk and ashley.
this thread is only 3 pages long...
it obviously does not represent the opinion of all tfs-ers...

from 3 pics, it's really hard to tell what to make of this, but the concept is interesting...
and like bee said, they have alot of experience in clothing/fashion, way more than say beyoncé or jennifer lopez or jessica simpson...
i think it was a given that as they grow up, they would want to design for women/girls more like them, more their own age...

i think the name is cool...adds a bit of mystery...
if you don't really know the olsen, you probably have no clue they have a brother & sister let alone know their names...
it also reminds me of proenza schouler (named for their mothers' maiden names)...

God Save McQueen

this is cracking me up. they consider 80-600 dollars affordable? oh god.

its ugly, but sheep will probably eat it up

03-06-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
They do seem to have much more experience with clothing lines than other celebrities. They've been doing their Walmart line since their early teens (or pre teens?) I realize that they have received a lot of help with their first line, but it's not like they're just jumping on the celebrity line bandwagon.
they dont have experience designing since before the row/elizabeth and james. their walmart line is licensed out.

03-06-2007
V.I.P.

..but they are in university now, aren't they
it's possible one of them at least is studying even a bit of it
And Ashley's interned at Zac Posen
if that helps at all

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
ashley, elizabeth, james, marykate, olsen