How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-10-2010
fashion insider

This is so childish in a bad way--

04-10-2010
V.I.P.

I like it! Very fun, quirky, with a bit of wit and humor thrown into in. Doesn't look like its taking itself too seriously.

That being said, the background IS overpowering the clothes.

But satisfaction brought it back
04-10-2010
V.I.P.

I can't decide what looks worse... The flowers in the background or the clothes

04-10-2010
V.I.P.

absolute disaster basically

V.I.P.

i checkes some pics in HQ and was pretty surprised. especially the black lace dresess are really beautiful.

04-10-2010
fashion elite

First outfits I was like "Oh, I'm liking it, some interesting textures and materials..." but then, as I scrolled down I was like "OH, NO!!! What is this?!"

I think that sums up my opinion!

V.I.P.

there are some very pretty pieces in this collection.

sure it's not cohesive, and the presentation could be better.

but this is definitely not worse than the Lohan fiasco. I mean talk about hyperbole.

04-10-2010
V.I.P.

Very interesting comments from both sides.

I don't understand all these "stunt" casting and "tacky" casting comments. What is it that's the problem.

04-10-2010
scenester

Anna Dello Russo ??

via www.NowFashion.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Emanuel_Ungaro_068.jpg (118.1 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by all_face; 04-10-2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: image not open
04-10-2010
front row

There is a lot about this that screams CHEAP, but some of the pieces will sell, b/c they look good.

What is up with the presentation, even the top models don't look their best.

04-10-2010
& b

the collection is ok but this has nothing to do with ungaro...as much as i hate to say it, peter dundas was the only one in the revolving door of designers who got the ungaro aesthetic right....(meanwhile he is godawful at pucci but i won't go into that here)

fashion elite

Emanuel Ungaro - S/S 2011 - Preview

barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInNJ View Post
This is when fashion becomes dangerous. It isn't that serious, and I don't see the tackiness many members are seeing. Perhaps we haven't seen a collection from Ungaro in so long that we are forgetting what it used to be all about. I see remnants of past Couture collections which were designed by Ungaro himself. Ultimately, it is a first effort, and I wouldn't discount it fully.
Seriously. I'm looking at this and wondering if half the people commenting even know what Ungaro was when Emanuel was still there, because to me this is pretty damn Ungaro-esque, though done in a more restrained way. All of the Ungaro hallmarks are present; draping, lace, print, color, an overall girlish attitude. It's really not a bad start.

How anyone could accuse this of being worse than the positively insulting Ungaro collection shown one year ago is beyond my comprehension.

Last edited by Spike413; 04-10-2010 at 10:59 PM.
04-10-2010
fashion insider

I think we can all have our own opinions and be free to express them on a forum. We can talk about what we like or dislike about the collection, and those of us who dislike it did that, so maybe those who like the collection should talk about what they like about it instead of flagging the dissenters.

What to some may be "girlish" to others may be "tacky" and "cheap", especially those boudoir pieces that look like the stuff worn by the "girls" around Bois de Boulogne. Lace is fine, transparency is fine, but when it is lingerie without any interpretation, it is lingerie. To some of us anyway.

As for Ungaro "hallmarks", the loud, joke of a flower print looks more Mary Quant than Ungaro, and the ridiculous dangly beads and "muppets" (Giles' endearing term for the bits of marabou here and there and all over one dress) are a garish cliche of "Parisienne" chic, there is hardly any real efforts at ruching or draping, which were techniques used by Ungaro to shape his pieces.

I don't even mind the lack of Ungaro "hallmarks" if the collection on the whole is well executed, or if there are enough redeeming outfits to balance the atrocious ones, as there were in the Archs' collection. As such, there are perhaps 3 outfits that are decent, and even the tailored pieces here are unacceptable to me not only because of the outdated cut but the flower buttons, colours and prints are repulsive and of the look I find in inexpensive "ladies' boutiques" on the main thoroughfare. Of course there must be some who like them, and are going to buy them up, just as I am free to dislike this collection.

Giles can convince us best by sending a collection that would place it in the league of what other designers have done for the other French houses, Lanvin, Valentino, YSL, etc.

Last edited by Zazie; 04-10-2010 at 11:35 PM.
05-10-2010
barcode

Notice I didn't say anything about those who have said that they don't like the clothes, or find them tacky, or ugly or whatever, because clearly taste is subjective. I did however criticize people the people who are going on about this not being "Ungaro" because frankly that's not entirely true. You may not like those elements like the feathers, beads and flower prints but they most certainly are in keeping with what Emanuel Ungaro himself designed for years.

And my last statement was simply my opinion. Am I not free to express my disbelief that anyone could think this collection worse than one which featured heart shaped pasties in place of tops and clothes that looked cheaply made?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
11, emanuel, paris, s or s, ungaro