How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-10-2010
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterlein View Post
Better than Valli? Really? Ungaro's chosen one? The house would not be in this mess if Valli had never left. They should be trying to woo him back. Like I said, Ungaro had many facets to his work, some of it was girly, some of it was loud and you could even say tacky, and some of it was regal and extremely sophisticated. It fit the moment and Giles' collection, Ungaro or otherwise, does not.
giambattista valli remains one of the most talented designers we have today. with that said, i still think peter dundas "synched" more with the house during his short tenure. when i think of valli, the first thing is this....

style.com

we've never seen that from him at his eponymous house leading me to the conclusion that he's stronger on his own. in fact, these days, i sometimes wonder if he would've done well at valentino.

05-10-2010
V.I.P.

The first thing which came to my mind when I saw the collection- is this supposed to be Dior Couture s/s 2010 show?
Disaster, ok, maybe better than Lindsay's terrific collection but is that really a progress?

05-10-2010
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
giambattista valli remains one of the most talented designers we have today. with that said, i still think peter dundas "synched" more with the house during his short tenure. when i think of valli, the first thing is this....

style.com

we've never seen that from him at his eponymous house leading me to the conclusion that he's stronger on his own. in fact, these days, i sometimes wonder if he would've done well at valentino.
It's the opposite, he left and started his own brand because he couldn't change directions while he was there. He had a different vision for the house and the management wanted what you just posted. What he does on his own is probably more or less what he would have liked to have done for Ungaro. And if you can take a look at Ungaro past what style.com covers, you'll see that it fits in nicely. Could have been an amazing thing. *sigh*

Last edited by Mutterlein; 05-10-2010 at 08:05 PM.
05-10-2010
front row

better than lohan (but isnt ANYTHING better than lohan?!), but NOT Ungaro. Doesnt mean it isnt nice. there are some nice parts. its wearable. Not a total let down, but not exactly the pick-me-up the line needs.

the backround was a bad idea. they should have kept it simple

trendsetter

Quote:
Hah! So true. But do remember that designers had their own specific cuts and construction techniques that they were known for, of course.

Yes, that's very true, as well.

06-10-2010
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
It's the opposite, he left and started his own brand because he couldn't change directions while he was there. He had a different vision for the house and the management wanted what you just posted. What he does on his own is probably more or less what he would have liked to have done for Ungaro. And if you can take a look at Ungaro past what style.com covers, you'll see that it fits in nicely. Could have been an amazing thing. *sigh*
they've definitely given giles deacon more lattitude. and peter dundas. it'll be interesting to see if this look catches on.

front row

what the hell did I just laid my eyes upon?

06-10-2010
Amour Comme Hiver

Why do they keep trying to make Ungaro happen?

Ungaro reigned during a time that simply isn't relevant at all in the modern climate; excess, jet set, diva lifestyles have been pushed aside in favor of a very subdued and minimalistic style. I think it would be impossible, at this place and time, to successfully (both in terms of money and aesthetics) resurrect Ungaro without almost entirely abandoning his aesthetic.

06-10-2010
V.I.P.

right, so i am about to see this IRL but quite frankly Giles is pretty close with his debut at ungaro... he knows the womans' body/shape and does extravagant feminine so well in his own collection which a lot of people underestimate. i believe this sense will translate beautifully for ungaro
another plus: the company producing this collection is one of the best ones in the industry... so at least the finishing of the product is assured! *phew*
now i will keep my final thoughts for when i have come back from the showroom

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
07-10-2010
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKharma View Post

Ungaro reigned during a time that simply isn't relevant at all in the modern climate; excess, jet set, diva lifestyles have been pushed aside in favor of a very subdued and minimalistic style. I think it would be impossible, at this place and time, to successfully (both in terms of money and aesthetics) resurrect Ungaro without almost entirely abandoning his aesthetic.
You have a point, but I suppose they're more concerned with keeping a name afloat that will sell as opposed to keeping his aesthetic alive

trendsetter

Quote:

Ungaro reigned during a time that simply isn't relevant at all in the modern climate; excess, jet set, diva lifestyles have been pushed aside in favor of a very subdued and minimalistic style.

Minimalism has only reigned for the last few seasons/years (and even then, it hasn't reigned supreme, by any means) and things are now, as I think we can clearly see(?), on the change, once again.

07-10-2010
Looking Up

Quote:

That doesn't mean it can't adapt. Cavalli and Versace are prime examples of how European fashion has moved past the excessive fashion era into, exactly what you said, "modern climate in favour of a very subdued and minimalistic style".
Ungaro's fatal blunder is its people's failure to make decisions that will help it to stay relevant, but that doesn't mean it's incapable of doing so completely. And I think this collection by Giles is at least a step forward.
And I wouldn't worry about money, Assim's business agenda stretches far beyond fashion. In fact fashion was like a side-dish sorta thing.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
11, emanuel, paris, s or s, ungaro