How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-07-2012
backstage pass

Abstract expressionism
Quote:
Abstract expressionism: The movement's name is derived from the combination of the emotional intensity and self-denial of the German Expressionists with the anti-figurative aesthetic of the European abstract schools such as Futurism, the Bauhaus and Synthetic Cubism. Additionally, it has an image of being rebellious, anarchic, highly idiosyncratic and, some feel, nihilistic. Wikipedia
Quote:
Action painting sometimes called "gestural abstraction", is a style of painting in which paint is spontaneously dribbled, splashed or smeared onto the canvas, rather than being carefully applied. Wikipedia
Action painting by Jackson Pollock

artinthepicture

Action painting @ Alexander McQueen Spring 1999

blog.lensway

Last edited by Perickles; 10-07-2012 at 04:54 PM.

10-07-2012
V.I.P.

Love those I love abstract expressionism... I would love to see a show related to de Kooning.

Performance Art

Quote:
In art, performance art is a performance presented to an audience, traditionally interdisciplinary. Performance may be either scripted or unscripted, random or carefully orchestrated; spontaneous or otherwise carefully planned with or without audience participation. Wikipedia.
John Galliano S/S 08

vogue.com / tonyonopka.tumblr.com

Last edited by Legolas; 10-07-2012 at 06:58 PM.
11-07-2012
backstage pass

De Stijl movement/Neo-Plasticism

Quote:
De Stijl was posited on the fundamental principle of the geometry of the straight line, the square, and the rectangle, combined with a strong asymmetricality; the predominant use of pure primary colors with black and white; and the relationship between positive and negative elements in an arrangement of non-objective forms and lines.
Guggenheim Museum

Raf Simons spring/summer 2008 - De Stijl hiking boots

Van Doesburg - Model Maison d'Artiste, 1923

kicksteez.blogspot, neoplasticism

Abstract expressionism

Raf Simons fall/winter 2008

Jackson Pollock, No. 5, 1948 & Mark Rothko, No. 14, 1960, Grey and orange on maroon, no. 8

Milton Resnick, UNTITLED, 1983

vogue.co.uk, sfmoma.org, cheimread.com

Last edited by Naen; 11-07-2012 at 06:45 AM.
11-07-2012
fashion insider

Raf loves modern art!

11-07-2012
V.I.P.

^He said he loves art more than he loves fashion But it's really awesome how he blends the art inspirations into the collections, it's always on point.

V.I.P.

Brian Calvin x Raf Simons Spring 2013

oneartworld.com/premierartscene.com/artinamericamagazine.com/style.com

V.I.P.

Interesting use of the paintings... Brian Calvin's work would be contemporary art, right? I think he's one of those artists that can not be pigeonholed in one specific movement.

12-07-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by get fashion View Post
Raf loves modern art!
The fact he has a sweet spot for modernism and continues to retain some of its traits is really not that suprising considering his industrial design background, once you make inroads into modernist era you can't shake it off that easily, there are so many things still relevant today regardless how far we've stepped into metamodernism.
And if you just look at the interior of his home... I rememer he owns that Picasso vase he inlaid into those JS ss12 sweaters.
Brian Calvin's paiting also hangs on his wall...

And when it comes to contemporary, he collaborated with Ruby Sterling on several occasions: RS Tokyo boutique with that splatter pattern and the same for jeans collection in SS10. Seems there's a lot of convergence in their creative mindset.
And now at Dior...

Sterling Ruby

Quote:
Sterling Ruby is a multi-disciplinary artist who has become known for his richly glazed biomorphic ceramics, large-scale spray-painted canvases, poured urethane sculptures, various forms of collage, and video work.
... He takes his subject matter from a wide range of sources, including marginalized societies, maximum security prisons, modernist architecture, artifacts and antiquities, graffiti, the mechanisms of warfare, and urban gangs. His work has often been cited as invoking minimalism as a means to expose underlying systems and social power structures.
wikipedia

"SP 10", "SP 13", "SP 12" & "SP 9" (all 2007)

style.com, artnews.org

12-07-2012
backstage pass

Memphis Group
Quote:
The Memphis Group was an Italian design and architecture group started by Ettore Sottsass that designed Post Modern furniture, fabrics, ceramics, glass and metal objects from 1981-1987. On December 11, Ettore Sottsass organized a meeting with designers and formed a design collaborative named Memphis. The name was taken after the Bob Dylan song Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again which had been played repeatedly throughout the evening's meeting.They drew inspiration from such movements as Art Deco and Pop Art including styles such as the 1950s Kitsch and futuristic themes. The group's colorful furniture has been described as "bizarre", "misunderstood", "loathed", and "a shotgun wedding between Bauhaus and Fischer-Price. Wikipedia.
Quote:
After decades of modernist doctrine, Sottsass and his collaborators longed to be liberated from the tyranny of smart, but soulless ‘good taste’ in design. Their solution was to continue the experiments with uncoventional materials, historic forms, kitsch motifs and gaudy colours. Designmuseum.

Christian Dior Haute Couture Fall 2011

This was one of the best Dior's Collection ever

Quote:
A Dior skirt conjures memories of Aldo Cibic's Cabbage Teapot from 1985 (image courtesy of Dennis Zanone). Mirror80.

Quote:
A black and white jacket conjures the patterns of Memphis Group designer Nathalie du Pasquier, as evidenced by this clock she created with architect George Sowden (image courtesy of Dennis Zanone). Mirror80.

Quote:
Triangles, circles and squares, oh my! Left: Dior Couture/Right: The Colon Table by Javier Mariscal (image couresy of Dennis Zanone). Mirror80.
Source: Mirror80

Balenciaga fall 2010

Footwear by Pierre Hardy

source: chicprofile

behance.net

Hell on Heels

Galliano's work had some obvious influences from artists and illustrators:

Rene Gruau (recurring, also for obvious reasons)

Jean Cocteau's illustrations

not to mention Giovanni Boldini's dramatic portraits of belle epoque women:

vogue.it, style.com, elle.it, netcomuk.co.uk, frammentiarte.it, gettyimages, oilpantingshop.com, paperblog.com,mobypicture.com, bulgergallery.com

Last edited by mistress_f; 12-07-2012 at 01:08 PM.
12-07-2012
Hell on Heels

And Dior spring 08 couture referenced Klimt's decorative style and patterns:

richlandart.worpress.com/style.com/myfreewallpapers.net

12-07-2012
backstage pass

Talking about G.Klimt. Sarah Burton was inspired by this famous Austrian Symbolist for Mens S/S 2013 & Resort 2013 collections.

style.com, gestusblog.blogspot.com

13-07-2012
V.I.P.

lady gaga's meat dress kinda reminded me of something that Claes Oldenburg might do.

backstage pass

Performance Art - Leigh Bowery
Quote:
Leigh Bowery (26 March 1961 – 31 December 1994) was an Australian performance artist, club promoter, actor, pop star, model and fashion designer, based in London. Bowery is considered one of the more influential figures in the 1980s and 1990s London and New York art and fashion circles influencing a generation of artists and designers. His influence reached through the fashion, club and art worlds to impact, amongst others, Meadham Kirchhoff, Alexander McQueen, Lucian Freud, Vivienne Westwood, Boy George, Antony and the Johnsons, John Galliano, the Scissor Sisters, David LaChapelle, Lady Bunny plus numerous Nu-Rave bands and nightclubs in London and New York which arguably perpetuated his avant garde ideas. Wikipedia.

masesmasbowery blogspot

Jean Paul Gaultier Fall/Winter 1991-1992

allhatnocattle

Gareth Pugh Spring 2007

style

Alexander McQueen fall 2009

style

I think Leigh Bowery was inspired by Oskar Schlemmer Triadisches Ballett of the Bauhaus School.

lessing-photo

floresenelatico tumblr

And I've found this also

Schlemmer

travess flickr

Selk'nam tribes from Tierra del Fuego (Southern Argentina and Chile)

graficas.explora.cl

ccborges.org.ar

Last edited by Perickles; 13-07-2012 at 01:40 PM.
16-07-2012
backstage pass

Surrealism
Viktor & Rolf Spring 2010

style

Viktor & Rolf Spring 2008

style

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
art, fashion, movements