How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-04-2012
V.I.P.

Glamour Russia April 2012 jurnalik.ru

30-04-2012
V.I.P.

Mercury Russia Summer 2009 Frida Giannini, Dolce & Gabbana my scans

Marie Claire Ukraine December 2011 journal-plaza.net

Instyle UK January 2011
edit: The Women
ph: Lee Broomfield
style: Amanda Bellan
magazinesdownload.com

01-05-2012
V.I.P.

Marie Claire France February 2012
Frida Giannini, Dolce & Gabbana, Jean Paul Gaultier, Silva Fendi and Alber Elbaz
Photographer: Patrick Swirc
magazine3k.com

01-05-2012
V.I.P.

Marie France Dec 2011 Frida Giannini by Fabrice Gaignault
magazine3k.com

02-05-2012
Mr. Magic

Quote:
After becoming creative director of Gucci in 2006, Frida Giannini turned the once very Italian luxury label into a truly international brand. After showing the spring/summer menswear collection in Milan, she sat down with GQ editor Nick Smith to discuss music, muses, men, sex appeal and the secrets to success in the world of luxury.

Nick Smith: I loved going to your show. It just feels so sexy and, well, Ďfashioní.
Frida Giannini: Something that is always important is to deliver a message of a show, a real show. Something where you can have fun, for example, not only looking at the clothes and not only for merchandising, or for customers, but a real show. Iím always very happy when there is this sense of emotion... and sensuality.

NS: How do you avoid crossing the line when putting sexiness into a menís show?

FG: If you push too much on the accelerator you risk doing things that are quite weird. We have clients who are business oriented, so we always need to create this balance. But I donít want to be too Ďclassicí because itís not in the DNA of Gucci. You need to be a little bit provocative.

NS: I saw an interest in sport coming through in this collection.

FG: There was a mix of inspirations. The main one was more of a British attitude in the fabrics, in the construction and tailoring.

NS: What sparked that interest?

FG: We were working around an allotment of very special fabrics and looking at pictures of British movie stars from the í60s and í70s. I really liked this sort of eccentricity on one hand and sophistication on the other. They were very elegant in their own personal way. I was also intrigued by sophisticated gentlemenís sports, like horse riding, fencing and golf. So [we took] all these elements but more for the craftsmanship of garments: like horse riding pants, where itís very sleek, slim and sexy.

NS: How do you feel during one of your shows?
FG: The feeling is always different because you never know what is going to happen. There is always a moment of risk because you never know if a model will work as you imagined. You donít know if the music is going to work perfectly.

NS: Is music important to you?
FG: I have a personal passion, but I think it is quite normal in this job to have a link with music. And vice versa, as musicians have with clothes. Itís something that is part of the history, part of the culture, between these dual worlds. Music is important because with, say, Rod Stewart and other personalities, I love them because they are imposing in their own style in such a strong way.

NS: Whatís on your playlist?
FG: Iím in love with Florence and the Machine because Florence Welch is such a great performer and singer. Sheís becoming, to me, an icon. And we did a collaboration. Then there are so many young bands. When I work on the tracklist, the music for shows, Iíll work with DJs and music designers.

NS: Youíve got very cool tastes.

FG: Itís because Iím curious. I donít have any specific agenda. I like to listen to everything.

NS: Do you rate Gaga?

FG: Iím still trying to understand what she is and what she does. At the beginning I was not convinced 100 per cent because Iím a fan of Madonna and I saw her as just an imitation. I saw her perform and sheís very smart but I would love some more originality.

NS: The luxury brands that are doing well seem to understand that youíve got to embrace your heritage while moving forward.
FG: As a designer you need to understand the codes of the house. Itís important for the customer to find this strong identity because itís not only about the quality but also the recognition of the values and the understanding that you are buying something today but it is something that is going to last for probably the next 50 years.

NS: Do you tweet?

FG: No, I donít have time. I write on the Gucci web page. Yesterday we reached five million fans! They really want to be part of the community. A few years ago the fashion industry was completely closed, very snobby. This is a very democratic and modern way of doing fashion.

NS: Letís talk men. You seem to understand us very well.
FG: I donít know [laughs]. I really love men. I really love being a designer of menswear. At the beginning, when I had the chance to design the menswear collection, I said, ďItís so boring compared to the womenís.Ē But at the end of the first collection I was so excited. You can play with so many different elements and [there are] things you can really have fun with.

NS: Is there a male muse?

FG: Iím always musing on someone up-and-coming, like James Franco. But most of the time I look to the past ó I always think of Alain Delon and Marcello Mastroianni.

NS: What do you think your male customers are looking for?

FG: Male customers are even more obsessed by quality than women. The cut and comfort of the fabric is also important. And they want to be ĎGucci skinnyí. At the end of the day, men are vain like women.

NS: Have you come to terms with being the face of Gucci?
FG: When I was appointed to this role, I was shocked and I said, ďOK, I donít know if I can do it.Ē

NS: Has it changed you?

FG: I remember my first social dinner in LA with a lot of personalities around me. I couldnít talk because I was scared of saying something stupid. Today, I try to have fun. When you change your approach and your state of mind, your life completely changes. So, I feel more comfortable than I did five years ago, but I still feel like 
I need to take it up another step.

NS: You arenít someone who wants to rest on their laurels, then.

FG: I think itís important to always keep growing because once you feel youíve done everything, then you are finished. Especially when you are a creative person, you always need to invent and look forward to the future.

NS: Do you have any advice on being successful
FG: To be humble. You also need to be talented. And be respectful to your people. Today, this job is no longer a solo role, but a role that you need to play with many team members together.

NS: What are your passions?

FG: Fashion is one of my biggest. Fashion to me means a dream, innovation, whatís next, being a trendsetter, creating something that is an object of desire. Fashion is a desire because in the end everyone is following desire.
gq.com.au

(IT'S GOING DOWN
ô)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
26-06-2012
V.I.P.

From gq.com and justjared.com:
Quote:
Milan, Italy - June 24, 2012: GQ toasts Milan's latest [S/S 2013 Men's] collections with a backyard BBQ.

with Tom Ford

02-09-2012
V.I.P.

Gucci Award For Women In Cinema At The 69th Venice International Film Festival at Hotel Cipriani on August 31, 2012 in Venice, Italy.

zimbio

02-09-2012
V.I.P.

Gucci Premiere Fragrance Launch at Hotel Cipriani on September 1, 2012 in Venice, Italy.

zimbio

24-08-2013
fashion insider

Frida Giannini and James Franco attend the 'Guccie Made to Measure' launch on June 24, 2013 in Milan. Photo Credit: zimbio.com

24-08-2013
V.I.P.

really? Tom posed with Frida?

ugh

if i were Tom, i'd die inside 4 times a year, seeing what Frida has done with the house he rebuilt...

24-08-2013
front row

Whatever she wore to that BBQ is atrocious to the core, considering she is the designer of a major fashion house, who is her boyfriend and Tom Ford is there.

25-08-2013
fashion insider

Frida Giannini and James Franco by Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin. i-D Magazine Fall 2009. Image Credit: models.com

25-08-2013
backstage pass

I'm glad Tom isn't the petty, juvenile diva type that refuses to pose with someone just because he may not like her personally.

And if Gucci was so dear to him, maybe he shouldn't have left in the first place...?

I'm not particularly fond of her revision of Gucci, nor am I a fan of her style. But, the woman must be doing something right for them to still keep her around-- despite what I (and many others here) may think of her talent.

27-08-2013
fashion elite

^He was fired.

rising star

He wasn't fired, he left on his own along with Domenico de Sole. For crying out loud he helped acquire Mcqueen and was shareholder at Gucci Group. He and De Sole were pretty much running things at the time.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
creative, director, frida, giannini, gucci