How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-02-2013
fashion icon

This is surprising to see him produced a gown. It was futuristic meets ancient witch to me; it's the perfect combination.

27-02-2013
Stitch:the Hand

can somebody say olivier theyskens 1998-99?

that said,what a massive improvement from gareth and his amazon droids. i like this evolution....it's much more romantic.

28-02-2013
backstage pass

Surely a pitch at the McQueen position

Can a wedding be cool?

28-02-2013
fashion elite

WOW, amazing.

28-02-2013
V.I.P.

I totally lost my love for his collections. S/S 13 didn't say Pugh to me already, but this could be designed by anyone apart from him.
The pieces look terrible, wrinkly with no feel for texture at all. And those trash bag gowns at the end.
The leather pieces look nice and the grey dress on Nastya is the best one, but the rest of the collection should be packed up in those finishing gowns and go all the way to trash heaven.
Pugh lost all his signature style to me and this work of his is just miserable.

03-03-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotineacetat View Post
Some of this reminds me of early Olivier Theyskens collections, except for the fact that I think his work had more depth and wit than Gareth Pugh's take.
exactly what i thought !!!!!
this doesn't even remind me of .... this IS Theyskens ...
For a second, I thought I was watching Theyskens show of the late 90s - early 2000
* please people go and "educate" yourself on theyskens threads .... you'll see how a copy of his work is this collection...
see for yourself here some oldies :
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/sho...&postcount=220

Do Gareth and Rick think we suffer from amnesia ?
NOT ME !

and the gowns are made of trash ? seriously ?

So I can tell you : this collection was designed by Theyskens and Jeremy Scott (his first praised collection was made out of trash .... like 15 yrs ago)

Last edited by BerlinRocks; 03-03-2013 at 03:04 AM.
04-03-2013
fashion insider

Hand's down to make up artist.

10-03-2013

and berlin this exactly the collection i was thinking of. even down to the way the hair is styled looks suspiciously like theyskens.

10-03-2013
tfs star

The thing is, I have come to expect from Gareth Pugh collections that are high on drama on the runway, but deliver very little excitement once the whole inspiration of the season trickles down into what they are actually selling... Which is where we will likely see more of the printed bodysuits and leggings as well as Rick Owens look-a-like jackets. It seems to be a particularly London thing they are getting taught at St.Martins because if I look at other contemporaries such as Mary Katrantzou or Christopher Kane, it's a similar thing.

In the end, it just brings me back to the very thought that I've often had with Gareth Pugh; showmanship for the sake of it, only this time with a few silhouettes too many borrowed elsewhere... At least Olivier Theyskens' gowns always had craft and 'soul'... this just delivers the expected feast for the digital age fashion consumer...

10-03-2013

i agree with you about the visual side of their work. i've noticed that a lot with gareth,usually what gets picked up by shops is usually the simplest of things. theyskens was definitely a showman himself but having had the pleasure of inspecting his pieces up close and personal while designing his namesake,it was phenomenal how he actually made his clothes. and it wasn't just menial items either....his blouses with the hooks & eyes and sharp cut trousers and little jackets and some of his leather pieces.....all were exceptionally beautiful in their own right. he had much more depth which is why he does so well doing more commercial things,like with theory.

Last edited by Scott; 10-03-2013 at 03:01 PM.
10-03-2013
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotineacetat View Post
The thing is, I have come to expect from Gareth Pugh collections that are high on drama on the runway, but deliver very little excitement once the whole inspiration of the season trickles down into what they are actually selling... Which is where we will likely see more of the printed bodysuits and leggings as well as Rick Owens look-a-like jackets. It seems to be a particularly London thing they are getting taught at St.Martins because if I look at other contemporaries such as Mary Katrantzou or Christopher Kane, it's a similar thing.

In the end, it just brings me back to the very thought that I've often had with Gareth Pugh; showmanship for the sake of it, only this time with a few silhouettes too many borrowed elsewhere... At least Olivier Theyskens' gowns always had craft and 'soul'... this just delivers the expected feast for the digital age fashion consumer...
you just put into words the exact 'problem' that I've always had with his collections- they're always amazing as shows, but when it comes down to the actual garments in the stores ,it looks like Rick Owens or simple t's. It's all image and not much else, which is a shame because I'm sure he's capable of more.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1314, f or w, gareth, paris, pugh