How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-01-2009
backstage pass

^If this is true, can we not say the same thing about Rick Owens? I like that he is molding and shaping his image consistanly and efficently over time.

01-01-2009
backstage pass

Did anyone see post these images already?
http://www.dazeddigital.com/Fashion/...eth_Pugh_SS_09

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightguard View Post
^If this is true, can we not say the same thing about Rick Owens? I like that he is molding and shaping his image consistanly and efficently over time.
My thoughts excatly. Certain designers evolve in their own niche, rather than trying to hang on to what might be "trendy" at the time. It's not about "ohmydear, it's autumn, and this autumn, goth is back, so lets use lots of lace!". It's something that is alienated from the fashion cycle and trends, yet is still contemporary and not stale. Personally, I don't get the attacks that he needs something fresh, because I see only slight similarities in his collections. It's the same foundation, but it's still undeniably different from what he already has done. It's wierd, because it seems as though Pugh is on another level from the rest of the fashion world, and is judged as such. He does something radical different, changes much more than 99% of the rest of the houses, but is still judged on his 'lack of new things'. How come? I admire Pugh for the same thing as I admire Rick Owens for... there is something so PUNK about them both, as they don't give a rats about trends, fashion cycles, critics or anyone, they just want to make clothes that challenges and interests, for themselves and anyone who cares to try and understand. It's not about the monogramed logo-bags, it's not about the RADICAL new details in the little black dress... It's something completely else.

About the 'stealing from the industrial scene' I still don't get the critics (although we mostly agree, GasolineRainbow). Each year there is a million takes on goth, punk, mod etc... yet to date, nobody has tried to make extravagant fashion out of the aesthetics of cyber/industrial culture. I think the influences are there, but not directly so (maybe more in his previous collections). I have yet to see cybergoths or rivetheads going around in something like his S/S 09 collection.

02-01-2009
Stitch:the Hand

^i agree.

02-01-2009
fashion insider

Have you guys seen this gorgeousness???

http://frillr.com/?q=node/11163

I think all of us here already did it but let's just add the link

02-01-2009
backstage pass

^ Amazing... I can't get enough of those pictures.

V.I.P.

Full Show in High Quality

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
09, gareth, paris, pugh, s or s