How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-09-2011
Some Like It Hot

I really love the last 6 looks for how wearable they are, the collection has a fantastic mix of editorial pieces but pieces i'd actually wear!
Not so sure on the heels for men though! .
also loving the iron/cage pieces are the beginning, particularly look number 4.

28-09-2011
don't look down

I like Gareth Pugh, but I want to see his work evolve, for him to reach a point where his creativity strengthens, and with the confidence of having reached a certain level in the industry, for him to let it loose, and push his themes to a new level of mastery, where you see the structural invention and sense a depth to the design. Or is that asking too much of the man?

backstage pass

ShowStudio has these further looks

I think it's a positive that Gareth's included this season art/editorial pieces alongside more commercial pieces. Collections serve both functions so let's go there designers.

On the more editorial side, the gridwork and the pieces extending over the mouth pick up again themes from Pugh's SS09. But this time, fortunately, without the Elizabethan elements.

I welcomed also that the label continues to have a runway show (following SS11's 'replacement' of a show with a fashion film). I see on ShowStudio that they have made an accompanying short film. I really don't see what footage like that adds though. It isn't 'art'. There's no particular meaning or subtext there - it's just a random play of lighting, bodies and garments.

Great collection though. Dual purpose. Way to go.

28-09-2011
V.I.P.

Oops! I guess stylebistro didn't finish uploading the collection when I started to save the pics.

Here's the rest:

stylebistro.com

28-09-2011
front row

The initial looks were great, but predictable...these LAST looks however...fantastic! To see him play more with color and movement ("soft" elements) and seeing them interpreted in a sterile/alien-like way really nails it. I LOVE the sharp head pieces....

28-09-2011
backstage pass

lovely balance between commerce and creativity here. I second comments regarding the similarities between this and his s/s 09 offering, I think he takes himself a little to seriously, when he was more about going out to clubs and having fun although bonkers I feel his stuff had more relevance. And am I the only one who's getting a little platos atlantis from those last few looks?

28-09-2011
V.I.P.

seriously, he would make a FANTASTIC costume designer for science fiction movies. why make such blah clothes?

28-09-2011
fashion icon

That white thing worn by Magdalena looks a lot like something Mugler did 21 years ago.

28-09-2011
backstage pass

^ (MasterWood) You're thinking of the silver look near the close of Plato's Atlantis? The look worn by Gaga in one of her vids? In that there's shiny fabric and hooflike footwear there'd be some semblance of similarity. But nothing beyond that I wouldn't think?

Last edited by Tentacl Ventricl; 28-09-2011 at 04:36 PM.
28-09-2011
fashion insider

The looks seem to have emerged from the twilight zone or a retro video game! LOVE IT!

28-09-2011
front row

Same of the same , a couple of wearable dresses and the rest is for lady gaga

28-09-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerrouge View Post
I like Gareth Pugh, but I want to see his work evolve, for him to reach a point where his creativity strengthens, and with the confidence of having reached a certain level in the industry, for him to let it loose, and push his themes to a new level of mastery, where you see the structural invention and sense a depth to the design. Or is that asking too much of the man?
The perfect comment.

void( )

^i agree.
he knows how to create a mood, how to convey his vision in the strongest way and in my opinion, he is one of the most talented designers out there, without a doubt (and he is such a sweetheart too..). his collaborations with ruth hogben are always exceptional too (he is lucky to be surrounded by such great people like ruth, katie shillingford, matthew stone, etc).
i like the collection, and i would love to wear some things (especially the monochrome jackets),
but you guys are right, he needs to think further, push the envelope a bit. i was so impressed when i saw that video of raquel zimmermann walking in the hand-made dress that took him days (weeks?) to make, and again with katie's wedding dress. it would be great to see him go down that road again, experiment a little bit more.

Last edited by girlandthesea; 28-09-2011 at 07:46 PM.
28-09-2011
God Save McQueen

I get having a certain aesthetic but there is such a thing as progression. I know people endlessly compare him to Rick Owens since Rick's partner funds Pugh, but Rick does change it up every season.

28-09-2011
rising star

I was looking forward to this, but this collection has left me feeling flat. I always find an element of "fashion school student" in his work, rather than the work of a professional designer. Plenty of cool items (I love the vests), but there isn't really much growth going on here.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, gareth, paris, pugh, s or s