How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-02-2012
scenester

I love how the clothes look like their not finished. I love the details!

04-10-2012
windowshopping

Am I the only one who didn't like it?

fashion insider

It was not a cohesive collection (I can see about 3-4 different themes now) but some pieces looked good.
Definition of hit-or-miss to me.

Last edited by Morphe; 04-10-2012 at 06:08 PM.
05-10-2012
backstage pass

At first blush we had yet another essay on Yves and Christian - it really was the 'line of debate' of the season - but which ended up in cloying weighty princess dresses. The theatrical Giles. However redemption comes when you look past the heavy silhouettes of those pieces to the models and realise they are painted dolls who donned the garb of an old, possibly dead, ancestor? This gave the work Tokyo Harajuku, funky Tokyo girl in London kick. The irony of someone else's heirloom.

Joining with Rei and MiuMiu there were explosions prints. Joining to Dior with NewLook silhouettes. To Raf with pops of bright colour, stripes, bulbous forms, Yet also to the darkside for the 'print' of the lasercut leather pieces not only formed cosmic explosion evocations but they were also webs, and witchy. The wing helmet-frame behatted witchy closing look had that theatrical darkness Lee had.

The bust was erogynised. Everything shone and sparkled like stars. A liquid sheen. In the end, despite the silhouettes, in fact there was more glamour and dark edge than old world elegance per se. A non minimal collection (obviously) but that in the work isn't ultimately about line, it's about fabric, print, detail, embellishment. I'm going to say it's a form of twisted dark historical materialism. Probably, ultimately, it realises it's own darkness. Giles also likes to set alight his pieces with fire, de(con)struction. Destroyed wrong heirlooms on dolls. A delightfully anti-fashion message. Yes, a punk couturier.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1213, f or w, giles, london