How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-02-2005
kit
tfs star

Something tells me - GIVENCHY - here he comes !!!

18-02-2005
etre soi-meme

i think he actually got the Givenchy post no?

18-02-2005
kit
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
i think he actually got the Givenchy post no?
I think it's STILL in the balance .

18-02-2005
etre soi-meme

he proved he's perfect for Givenchy

suzy menkes reviews Gilles International Herald Tribune
Quote:
It was the most immaculate audition since Madonna did Evita. And if Giles Deacon does not get the vacant design job at Givenchy, it will not be for want of trying.
His eagerly awaited show in London Fashion Week came at a crucial moment in his career, when the 34-year-old designer has gone right down to the wire with Givenchy's owner, LVMH (MoŽt Hennessy Louis Vuitton). The show Deacon sent out was Hubert with a vengeance, from the ballooning sleeves and grand gowns through to fresh blouses and skirts.
While other London designers are still opting for street cred, Deacon took his cue from Paris couture in the grand old days when Balenciaga was Givenchy's mentor and the spirit was as haute as the show's high-ceilinged venue - an 18th-century church designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor and now the home of the London Symphony Orchestra.
"There are 1950s couture elements but interpreted in a modern way and with details that took our fancy," said Deacon backstage, after replying "no comment" to the burning question about the Givenchy job.
The show opened with a sculpted black jacket, with rings of velvet inserted at the waist and leggings for the bottom half. But things instantly turned grander as a big, bold coat swung out and another jacket had a rose whorled in chiffon at the back. By using satin and velvet and wafting feathers, Deacon made his cocktails of fabric seem suited to after-six hours, although day wear surfaced as a pony-skin coat, worn with a jaunty red hat, and as a pants suit mixing black and white in a graphic way.
After experience at Bottega Veneta and Gucci, Deacon is no fashion novice and his clothes were accomplished, whether it was the flourish of a mutton sleeve or an evening gown with a fiery red print on velvet. Knitted Lurex dresses with lattice work and pompoms were classy and could have been developed. But Deacon is a designer of very grand gestures, from the voluminous coats, through chain patterns inset on gray flannel (was he auditioning for Chanel too?) right down to the mules with giant bows like some extravagant 18th-century courtier. The result was bold, beautiful in its deep teal green colors but with a hint of vintage - as if the ghosts of couturiers past inhabited the show.

18-02-2005
V.I.P.

oh, i love this collection, very, very beautiful!

18-02-2005
V.I.P.

I love this dress! too gorgeous!

18-02-2005
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnine
Quite hit and miss.

I think that yellow dress on Eva Herzigova is essentially hideous, but there is something about it I really like, the embroidery and pom-poms are cute.
i know what you mean...

thanks for the background butterb...and for the article lena...
givenchy?...what ever happen to sofia?...and roland mouret...and martin grant...

hmmm...the fickle finger of fashion...

18-02-2005
Swim Upstream

i like some of this collection but the majority of it is black & the background is black so its really hard to see the clothes very well.

They yellow dress is bad - the pom poms look good but its such a horrible colour & knitted dresses are not very flattering on anyone IMHO.

18-02-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilista
I do like his collections and think this is a good one which will keep the department store buyers happy. I think he is a nice guy too - looks a bit nerdy.

Softgrey, from Showstudio.com
Biography
Born in 1969 in County Durham, designer Giles Deacon made a marked impression in debuting his own label 'Giles' with an Autumn/Winter collection for 2004. Deacon trained at St Martins School of Art in the early 1990s. It was on the strength of his graduating collection -which featured nature references and prints- that a meeting with Tom Ford was set up, and he was invited on board to take up a series of appointments with fashion houses in Paris and Milan. His most high-profile appointment came in 2000 when he joined Bottego Veneta as head designer to Katie Grand's stylist role. The hard-edged debut collection -using white, metallic and neon- hyped the reputation of the house considerably. Shortly afterwards he was re-appointed to another position designing for Gucci itself. His 'Giles' collection is a closer reflection of his own tastes, much less confrontational than his work at Bottego Veneta, though he is again collaborating with uber-stylist Katie Grand. The emphasis in his A/W 2004 was on strict, 1940s curves, tweed pencil skirts and silk blouses with pussy bows. Another close creative collaboration is with illustrator and textile designer Rory Crichton. He worked closely with weavers Stephen Walters and sons - a reflection of his commitment to use British mills as far as possible.
He's quite cute, and straight! Quite a rarity in this industry

18-02-2005
V.I.P.

i like his specs fashionaddict. now that givenchys been mentioned it makes a lot of sense--his clothes are so grandiose..i also like the gold top with the black hat, infact i love the hats. Its a very photogenic collection...he hits the right notes with color and accessories. his collection is refreshingly luxurious among so much redundancy.

Last edited by strawbutterb; 18-02-2005 at 07:21 PM.
18-02-2005
front row

This collection is so striking, very memorable (more so then a lot of what's been show so far). I think he'd be perfect for Givenchy...

18-02-2005
V.I.P.

A favorite here, which hasn't yet been posted, which I'd care to share... ...

c/o style.com

Last edited by jennifer~; 18-02-2005 at 09:33 PM.
19-02-2005
a dim capacity for wings

i did not like everything but there is a softness and glowing to some of the pieces which i find very appealing.

07-03-2005
fashion elite

I liked this collection, thanks all for the pictures. I could have done without those purses as hats--reminded me of the movie "Brazil" where the main character's rich and fashionable (in a society way) mother always wears hats that are shaped like huge shoes.

29-07-2005
rising star

When I first saw his collection, there was nth Vivienne Westwood abt it to me. I felt eccentric and liked those beautiful prints. I was glad for LFW to have such a talent to bring sth new to the scene... however, reaction from people are very extreme, some liked him and some doesn't. One major buyer in Paris said her team members think Giles hideous and very VW, a bit like Zac Posen of London (translate:Zac Posen to the team means zero talent, just a hype created by press). I hope Giles would make it in other ways without the help of big names like Givenchy in the future.
BTW, I think he looks very much alike the young Yves.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
05, a or w, giles, london