How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-03-2011
A Belated Celebration

It's quite surprisingly unique. How can one think of putting and combining panther, purple orchid flower, Lear, Page all together.. Very interesting and impressive.
BUT actually I don't like this collection after all. That's too much. I like the shoes though.

08-03-2011
V.I.P.

Ugly and cheap prints...

trendsetter

haha i love the black panther ear hat!

but the rest.... UM NO! so sad

backstage pass

I love the translucent skirts with the panther print under the jackets, that's
probably my favorite thing. That and the yellow outfit. But I really liked it! It
didn't seem very Givenchy for me, but I still really liked it. It was entertaining
to watch.

08-03-2011
V.I.P.

well..i like this, can't deny the panthers and the cat theme

no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterlein View Post
I wish that was it, I was actually thinking of Fall 10...

And hey, let's throw some Fall 07 in there for good measure shall we?

no offense to christopher kane's own work with silhouette and not withstanding both of their uses of black leather, i don't see a direct reference here. that tight binding almost sadomasochistic sheer skirt with the loose flippy skirt overlaying it actually remains something quite novel. it's not a miniskirt, it's not a pencil. it's a hybrid that if not new, then rare. we'll have to agree to disagree on this point.

style.com

Amour Comme Hiver

This is so... bizarre to me. I'm quite conflicted; I really love the silhouettes, which are so new and exciting, but it really, really pisses me off when designers ironically do ugly. Prada does it all the time; Marc Jacobs built a career off of it. Sometimes I wonder if it's all just some big joke on the fashion victims that are bound to eat everything up. Basically all of the sweaters fall in this category for me; most of the collections falls somewhere in between, however, featuring hideous patters on fabulous silhouettes. I do like the Versace-esque prints though.

08-03-2011
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
no offense to christopher kane's own work with silhouette and not withstanding both of their uses of black leather, i don't see a direct reference here. that tight binding almost sadomasochistic sheer skirt with the loose flippy skirt overlaying it actually remains something quite novel. it's not a miniskirt, it's not a pencil. it's a hybrid that if not new, then rare. we'll have to agree to disagree on this point.

[/IMG]

style.com
I find the juxtaposition of material and color, the colors, the floral motifs, the specific placement of ornamentation, specific details like a black collar on a sheer shirt, the ruffled leather, the homage to versace, etc, to be far too close to call this collection original, the ideas are almost exact. Tricking it up with a skirt like that is like adding a sticker to a graffiti'd bathroom stall and calling the whole thing your own.

09-03-2011
fashion insider

Christopher does Las Versace.... it's great to try something different, but this isn't "different", this is the tackiest of old Kane.

09-03-2011
fashion icon

I actually have no problem with the taste level here, only that he pulled it from another designer. Tisci has always had a few Versace references hanging around in his work for Givenchy, in the one collection he addresses it head on, I would have preferred if I didn't have to think about Christopher Kane.

09-03-2011
fashion insider

I think the reason he has been such a great fit for Givenchy is his level of maturity - he isn't a Dundas, Decarnin or Kane. There is elegance in his work, and although highly embellished, the maribou, studs, collaged motifs, embroidery, etc., these usually enhance some incredible sharp tailoring, shapes, folds, not tacked on. This is what makes this collection look cheap, it's a rather unimginative themed print, repeated in variations on the front of blouses, sleeves, just a lot less effort than what his fans usually expect from him.

09-03-2011
V.I.P.

oh la la, one of the things i hate the most! novelty print!

add those double layered skirts and i hate the whole collection!

why can't he let the Haute Couture collection inspire him... *sigh*

09-03-2011
Looking Up

^ You know I was thinking the same thing. Why has his Haute Couture become so separated from his RTW? I wish he'd correlate them more.

09-03-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
^ You know I was thinking the same thing. Why has his Haute Couture become so separated from his RTW? I wish he'd correlate them more.
well, soon we don't have to worry about that @ Givenchy anymore i guess...

09-03-2011
V.I.P.

Really quite...novel for Givenchy. I guess I'm more used to Tisci's blocking and austere gothicism (its still here, but almost parodied in a way). I can't say whether I like it or not..

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, f or w, givenchy, paris