How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-03-2011
V.I.P.

I hoped this animal fascination Riccardo seems to have lately would die with the menswear collection but sadly it didn't. This is nowhere near of what I usually expect from Givenchy. This is borderline tacky, gimmicky and one-dimensional. Basically bomber jackets and tutus paired with pencil skirts and pumps. Throw some caps and geek glasses to add some spice to this mess.

Is this supposed to be aimed for a different customer base? Because I can totally see this being worn by wrong people.

06-03-2011
tfs star

I am confused about this collection. I hated the menswear collection and I was praying the theme would translate better in womenswear. Sadly, I am truly disappointed. Is this the new Givenchy? Gimmick. Gimmick. Gimmick.

I hope Riccardo is just giving fashion the middle finger and just having fun for a collection or two. In that case, I'm ok with it. Because, honestly, Riccardo is too great of a genius to result to gimmicks. His designs alone are superb enough to gain attention on its own. While THIS is a CRY for attention.

06-03-2011
army of lovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologne_rocks View Post
Not that I am a fashion pro, but I don't think this does not come up to the corporate image of Givenchy.
Seeing this collection Givenchy seems to more and more evolve into one of those super trendy streetwear houses.... There is no neo-gothic chic left.... neither I see "magic" here... This is a nice streetwear collection and it lacks timelessness - In 4 years you will look at this collection and think "OMG, they used to wear such crap in 2011"?
Good point. It does have an upscale Jeremy Scott feel to it.

06-03-2011
God Save McQueen

it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good

06-03-2011
fashion insider

^ I was about to go crazy, someone said this looks like an upscale Jeremy scott, but it kind of does, i hate to say. Its very luxurious, its just styled to look a little street.

06-03-2011
front row

Uh...

...I like being confused, but this confuses me in a bad way.

V.I.P.

Full Collection HQs - Part 1

catwalking

tfs star

he is pretty much a genius. mixing 90's hip hop, versace (isms), black panthers, japanese school girl unforms and the macabre and still come out with an entirely succinct collection. his ideas arent filtered at all but the mixing is entirely cohesive.

styling has taken this route in the last couple of years where instead of a "samurai" editorial they would have samurai pieces styled with nike sneakers. i think this concept isnt entirely fresh but celine, givenchy and acne have all actively been pushing this type of design which i wholly admire and support.

V.I.P.

HQs - Part 2

catwalking

old-fashioned

christopher kane managed to make me like gorilla prints, and i thought that after that any good designer could make me like any print, but i see i was wrong. the shoes are killer, there are some nice elements here and there, but overall it's just really disappointing. none of the prints work for me, neither the hats or the glasses. i hope riccardo is just going through a hard phase that will end soon. it's givenchy for god's sake, we know tisci can do much better than this.

Last edited by *ana*; 06-03-2011 at 06:22 PM.
06-03-2011
V.I.P.

HQs - Part 3

catwalking

tfs star

I must say I do love the floral print (without the rottweiler) and the pencil skirts.

06-03-2011
V.I.P.

Random Thoughts:
* Well Givenchy topped Dior in that it stretched ten good looks into a forty piece collection;

* The straightforward looks are quite good and I would not be shocked if this is a financially successful collection on the commercial viability of a few pieces;

* The penultimate look is be-yoooo-te-full, but is Tisci capable of expanding on something that is so optimistic?

* I like that the first look is not so obvious, at least not from a distance;

* I know that some find the model cast exciting, and I do too, but it also smacks of covering a multitude sins;

* Even though it is hard for me to wrap my brain around Tisci's Givenchy and fun, I can see these elements being incorporated into whimsical editorials;

* I don't love this look from head to toe, but I like the superhero vibe of the corset, and hope to see it in editorials and (perhaps modified) on the red carpet;

* Tisci probably has a more high falutin explanation for it, but those naked women prints look like they were inspired by mud flaps on an 18-wheeler;

* The closing set of looks is the best part of the collection but other than the penultimate look, I am not blown away by the unexpected or satiated by the expected done beautifully;

* All in all this comes off as a collection that was not ready to be shown and needed several more rounds of editing and refining and / or re-conceptualizing;

* Even though there are some good commercial and editorial pieces here, this is not a good overall collection; however in light of recent events, it's hard for me to look at this too harshly, instead I wonder if there is not a churn factor at play, after all this is the third collection that Tisci has debuted in the past six or seven weeks.

Last edited by agee; 06-03-2011 at 06:34 PM.
06-03-2011
V.I.P.

I like the prints, I didn't even see the panthers the first time i looked at them. they weren't that noticeable to me.

06-03-2011
backstage pass

O_O @ this whole collection...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, f or w, givenchy, paris