How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-03-2011
V.I.P.

This looks like a joke to me, and not what Ricardo Tisci is capable of and known for.

06-03-2011
V.I.P.

I'm growing to love this SO much. At first sight I was disappointed, but after seeing it in its entirety I appreciate this so much more. Even the rottweiler/jaguar/naked woman prints are growing on me. Everything here is executed wonderfully (the kaleidoscope prints, the tulle skirts, the detail on the collars, the way he used leather and fur). This is ideal Tisci.

06-03-2011
V.I.P.

I'd buy the jaguar helmet cap in a heartbeat

06-03-2011
fashion insider

Ricardo give us his better, amazing.

06-03-2011
tfs star

Great shapes, pieces, and play of prints. Ricardo is putting out a strong silhouette this season. Modern chic and wearable. Kudos @Givenchy.

front row

The eyewear is ALL mine. He can truly do no wrong. What a ridiculous print (including that of his menswear collection), but brilliantly, playfully, and tastefully used. Some of those jackets looked very regal/renaissance, but the panther-infused print kept them fresh and of the moment. This collection was SO Givenchy, in every way. baseline: it's all about the skirt, hitting at the knee. Also, I cannot get over the transparent underlays; they work fabulously by both toning down the sexy-factor (had they not been there), and adding intrigue.

Riccardo, please, don't leave your post at Givenchy. "if it aint broke, don't fix it".

06-03-2011
rising star

I love Givenchy all the time!!!It's really like the same colliction as the menswear,I love them all!!

Looking Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchic View Post
The eyewear is ALL mine. He can truly do no wrong. What a ridiculous print (including that of his menswear collection), but brilliantly, playfully, and tastefully used. Some of those jackets looked very regal/renaissance, but the panther-infused print kept them fresh and of the moment. This collection was SO Givenchy, in every way. baseline: it's all about the skirt, hitting at the knee. Also, I cannot get over the transparent underlays; they work fabulously by both toning down the sexy-factor (had they not been there), and adding intrigue.

Riccardo, please, don't leave your post at Givenchy. "if it aint broke, don't fix it".
See I agree with this. People are complaining about the prints but they're actually very strategically used, in a royal kinda way as stated. I think he does it better than Kane, and Lord knows how much I love Kane.

06-03-2011
backstage pass

Inexplicably and inexcusably BAD.

I think we have two votes for joke and one for cry for help.

I smell a whiff of a dirty protest.

I imagine a scene where Arnault or one of his beancounters storms rudely in to Tisci's studio. 'Look Riccardo the Givenchy order book just isn't good enough. Marc had Louis Vuitton flying out the door. Next season from you we want shine, tack, lurid colour, animal prints, something a bit east, a bit street'

'Alright you bastards I'll give you what you say, just you see if I don't'. That he's working under some sort of duress is the only way I can explain it to myself. It just doesn't feel like anything Riccardo would choose or want to do.

I know that if the rumours Tisci's going to Dior are true it doesn't make sense but then what sense does this collection make as a signing off from Givenchy moving on to Dior moment. Baffling.

Mention has been made of Versace, Marc, Jeremy Scott and JCDC and I see all that. I'd add in Giles Deacon. Was it SS10 Giles and Jacobs went in a similar to one another cartoony, streety, vaguely Harajuku sort of vibe. But in Tisci's hands, if that is what's intended, that really, really hasn't worked.

I mean, if we can manage to look beyond all the too bad to be true themey prints to the silhouettes there is absolutely no design in them, no finesse whatsoever. The shapes are wholly generic. So it's as if Tisci's working to rule here. Under duress and protest. No way is this a true blueprint of his ability or his aesthetic. It's as if his body and mind have been possessed. By a beancounter.

And the fabrics just look so cheap, so fake. Tulle must be just about the most horrible textile you could make a skirt from. And it's hard to tell but the leather looks a bit like it might be polyurathene. The velvet doesn't look right either. I mean fake fur you can understand but fake leather!

Someone please come along and explain this away, help us understand what the hell happened here. It seems to me there's something seriously wrong somewhere in the corridors of LVMH.

Does anyone know what the purple flowers are? I'm no botanist so can't identify them but I find flower symbolism interesting and there might be some clue as to what's being said here by Tisci via that route.

Was it me or were the models gazing strangely skywards. As is they couldn't bear to look in the direction of the garments. That of course would have been directed. Certainly the catwalk vibe from the stills is not one of upbeat young and fun. Anything but. And many people in the front row seen in the stills have their hands over their mouths kind of agog in disbelief.

06-03-2011
front row

I think this is great. what most people are complaining about is really styling every collection you have the collective WTF moment but when u take the looks apart you see you have amazing pieces that are well designed and really capture the essence of the collection.
thats the amazing thing about riccardo's pieces when you add one to a look it now becomes a givenchy look. Who else can say that?
Plus when you add this to resort you actually have a great retail offering for the season.

06-03-2011
she's got the look

disappointing is the word to describe this collection. I like some looks but overall things seem to be out of place. and those nude prints, did we really need them?

V.I.P.

Besides the fact that Givenchy has the best cast of the season so far (although I think Louis Vuitton will have an exceptional cast too) I actually liked the clothes. I didn't like the menswear collection but this one is different. I love the suits, the bulldog (or whatever you call them) prints, the other crazy prints, the "Mickey Mouse-esque" hats, THE EYEWEAR, etc. But I'm a bit bias 'cause Riccardo Tisci is my favorite designer.

06-03-2011
fashion insider

This is so strange, I don't even know what to say.
And why do so many of the pieces look so similar?

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionFollower View Post
Incredibly gimmicky.
He was trying to achieve the same frenzy as Miuccia's "banana-monkey" baroque.
that's how I feel, he probably thought that's genious and wanted to make something similiar once if his inspirations all have gone. from head to toe, just too gimmicky.

06-03-2011
®

at least the consensus here is in line with mine...

oh dear, hubert and audrey must be spinning in their graves..

which is sad because i happened to like the similarly themed mens collection. the animal prints lent a sinister vibe to an otherwise drab wool coat.. the menswear accessories were awesome too, in that cool-dark-goth kind of way that is soo typically Givenchy.

and to be fair, his couture collection was a standout too.

but this... the first 10 or 15 looks were actually tolerable.. up until it cascades into a smorgasbord of ugly prints injected in officewear looks and throwing leather into the mix.. even the glasses, which i suspect should make the wearer look cool, just looks too try-hard. i swear i've seen some of those prints in tablecloths and curtains... no wonder it looks so cheap.

Last edited by IAmLordZen; 06-03-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, f or w, givenchy, paris