How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-07-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIs View Post
Yawn. This is becoming a glorified Marchesa at this point. How much beading and decorations can one take? Plus, it's the same thing in different colors for three seasons running now. I'm sure the detailing is beautiful, etc, but I'd like some variety in Givenchy HC collections at this point.
I agree completely. It's a whole lot of beading and decorations but that's okay because it's not Marchesa.

I didn't even like this the first time around.

05-07-2011
V.I.P.

looks magical

05-07-2011
Geometric Discharge

Absolutely stunning as Givenchy couture has been for the past three seasons.
I would like to see him move away from white, bodycon dresses and do some daywear etc but without losing these incredible details.
The tassels suspended from little metal hoops and the circular scales of fabric! Genius!

05-07-2011
fashion icon

I honestly have no words to describe how much I love what I see. Riccardo is a true master in making the most gorgeous dresses in the world. Truly incredible

05-07-2011
V.I.P.

It does look like a beautiful collection, but I wish Givenchy would go back to runway shows rather than these presentations we've seen for the past seasons

05-07-2011
V.I.P.

i´ve checked all ceations in HQ and have to repair my words... it´s beautiful. all handmade work, details with embroidery. tough, i would like to see a bit more experimental Tisci... not still same silhouttes and shades of white, ebony or beige...

05-07-2011
front row

I Love the Story in the Last 3 collections he is defining what couture is at Givenchy. The Most exquisite dresses on the market.
Every House needs a signature
Dior is Parade Floats
Chanel is Suiting
JPG is cooky
Now Givenchy is Refined and really about details!
Bravo this is Amazing

05-07-2011
V.I.P.

i honestly think he stopped doing runway shows because he idea for Haute Couture were running out... the same number of looks, repeated silhouettes, but with different references in regards to the details... it's like those doodle books where they give you the same background and ask you to create something different even though you know it's just a teddy bear....

05-07-2011
V.I.P.

This is amazing!

fashion icon

Wel i'm also disapointed by this type of presentation... nevertheless, this looks really really nice as ever

05-07-2011
fashion icon

Truly gorgeous! I'ts breathtaking
This is how every Haute Couture show should be,all about the details imo

In Bloom

It's pretty, I guess.

we were in love

05-07-2011
backstage pass

This is the best Haute Couture showing thus far.

I like Tisci, but will call him out on it if he produces a poor collection-- like the recent ready-to-wear collections for women and men. So to see him continue on and evolve his creations for the Givenchy Haute Couture line in the simplest, most restrained and mature manner is a breath of fresh heavenly air compared to the excessively overwrought theatrics that's associated with HC, or so practical it might-as-well-be-ready-wear collections that's presented currently.

This is no Marchesa; just because it's heavily beaded doesn't make it Marchesa. Marchesa just takes any ordinary dress and over-embellishes with trinkets. Tisci deconstructs the form of the dress-- but in the most delicate and subtle manner (unlike Rei or Margiela) so that the form remains flattering on a woman and without turning his designs into a concept. The embellishment never crosses that fine line so that it becomes gaudy or costumy; it remains complex, romantic and modern. And I think that's his skill: Whereas Marchesa's designs come off looking like glorified bridesmaids' dresses, Tisci's Haute Couture creations transcend the traditional, conventional and ordinary with his understanding and execution through deconstruction, embellishment, reference and restraint. It's the difference between being just fashionable, and having style. And Tisci's impressed me so much with his creations for Givenchy Haute Couture that he's not at all fashionable-- but that he's got style.

05-07-2011
barcode

^ Thank you for saying that. It's so true. These comparisons to Marchesa are honestly unfair because quite frankly, this is what Marchesa strives to be; dramatic, ethereal, utterly feminine and unflinchingly beautiful, all achieved through the most painstaking of workmanship. But whereas Marchesa's designs are overwrought and overwhelming - they rarely seem like they were designed to be worn by anyone but a mannequin - Tisci manages to make these clothes no only wearable but balanced as well. You could hardly call these dresses over-embellished because as detailed as they are, as many beads, fringes, feathers and embroideries they employ, there's a level of control that the ladies of Marchesa don't even seem to strive for, let alone achieve.

I'll admit that while I'm tired of seeing what does amount to the same collection for the third season now, this is so perfectly executed that I don't particularly care. Sometimes beauty is strong enough to trump everything else one might look for in fashion, including newness.

05-07-2011
V.I.P.

While it is disappointing to see a similar collection, in no way should it be compared to Marchesa. Unlike the Marchesa girls, Tisci's three couture collections were all well-thought out. Marchesa is just a red carpet brand. Nothing more, nothing less. Always overproduced and overbearingly overdone.

Last edited by LolaSvelt; 05-07-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, couture, f or w, givenchy, haute, paris