How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-07-2011
V.I.P.

This is beautiful and the craftsmanship is sublime, but frankly, I am also sick of seeing merely beautiful dresses at Givenchy. I miss his haute couture shows!

For me, his earlier haute couture collections were absolutely supreme. These shows were not merely about aesthetics but also about making you think. They stimulated on both aesthetic , emotional and, intellectual levels. I also loved the constant surprise; it was new but it was not exceedingly trendy or fashionable.

These recent collections however are beyond mundane. For something to be interesting it has to be stimulating; and for something to be stimulating, it has to affect us on more than one level (visual / aesthetic). This is where Tisci's recent haute couture collections fail. Sure, they consist of beautifully crafted gowns that are light as air and whimsical, etc etc - but do they consist of much else? Its such a shame, because we know what he is capable of. This is obviously some kind of commercial / economic strategy and therefore a waste of his talent.

05-07-2011
backstage pass

Exempting the hideously explicit western gaze, last seasons offering seamed to contribute to a contemporary fashion framework. This, whilst I'm sure beautifully crafted and a joy to wear, seems black and unimaginative.

05-07-2011
rising star

Gorgeous. But...boring. It's the same as the last two or three couture shows.

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives927 View Post
I personally respect Riccardo for retaining the intimacy of presentations. This is how couture should be presented, up close and personal for editors and Givenchy clienteles.
Which customers though? Almost every gown in from the last collection was seen on a celeb which I'm sure they were borrowed.

05-07-2011
Fat Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
This is beautiful and the craftsmanship is sublime, but frankly, I am also sick of seeing merely beautiful dresses at Givenchy. I miss his haute couture shows!

For me, his earlier haute couture collections were absolutely supreme. These shows were not merely about aesthetics but also about making you think. They stimulated on both aesthetic , emotional and, intellectual levels. I also loved the constant surprise; it was new but it was not exceedingly trendy or fashionable.

These recent collections however are beyond mundane. For something to be interesting it has to be stimulating; and for something to be stimulating, it has to affect us on more than one level (visual / aesthetic). This is where Tisci's recent haute couture collections fail. Sure, they consist of beautifully crafted gowns that are light as air and whimsical, etc etc - but do they consist of much else? Its such a shame, because we know what he is capable of. This is obviously some kind of commercial / economic strategy and therefore a waste of his talent.
I'm going to have to agree. These gowns are gorgeous. But gorgeous is all they are. I can appreciate the workmanship that goes into these pieces, but that's all, really.

For a year and a half now, Givenchy Couture has become nothing more than white sheer gowns bogged down with embellishments, embroidery and lace. And why only gowns? Whatever happened to seeing daywear, pantsuits and separates in Tisci's collections for the House? I miss those collections. They felt heartfelt...whereas at this point, this all looks very easy for Riccardo.

backstage pass

There's no doubt that it's a collection full of beautiful, perfectly sewn angelic dresses, but just like someone mentioned in a previous post - it's getting boring just like the Dolce&Gabbana sicilian theme. Yes, it's pretty, but people get tired eventually.
I totally agree with everyone on here who said they miss his couture shows. Shows are created to keep things interesting.

And for the person who posted this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives927
I personally respect Riccardo for retaining the intimacy of presentations. This is how couture should be presented, up close and personal for editors and Givenchy clienteles.
When the clientele wants to see/buy the collection, she gets a private showing in the house's showroom. Believe me, they have time to show the collection to any faithful customer who's ready to buy.

front row

Amazing as usual!

It's the collection I look forward to the most during HC fashion week.

backstage pass

Beautiful, but repetitive. The first time around (2 seasons ago right?) it was gorgeous, I loved it. The second time, I noticed that it was similar but I wasn't mad because slight changes were made and the dresses were beautiful.... but a 3rd time? He's really milking it for all it's worth, and I don't think it's worth much any more. This better change next season. Again, the dresses are beautiful but we've been seeing this concept for a few seasons now.

V.I.P.

I don't actually think the collection is boring. I think as a whole it looks lovely, however when looking at the HQs there's always at least one detail in every dress that I absolutely hate Especially how the butt is covered (or not covered) often looks awkward and the embellishments are too much in some dresses. I'd still take this over most of the tacky mess we've seen in other HC shows this season.

06-07-2011
front row

Hm... I'm a huge fan of Riccardo Tisci, but I'm starting to get bored.

front row

Beautiful garments, each stand alone and has strength! As long as couture clients love what they are getting through Tisci- then I can understand as to how and why he continues to showcase his collections in this manner.

Now that we know he is the king of 10-couture-looks, why not extend that into a proper couture presentation? I love viewing the photos on the models, but there's something about actually watching the models move and how the garment moves and sways (literally becoming alive)- I miss that....

06-07-2011
backstage pass

It's similar for the past Haute Couture collections BUT it's so magnificent that I don't care in the end. It's beyond beautiful. Who doesn't want to be in one of those creations ?

scenester

HQ Full Show:

Front>>>

Last edited by bennyboy; 06-07-2011 at 04:57 AM.
06-07-2011
scenester

Back>>>

FIN

06-07-2011
V.I.P.

thanks for the hqs

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, couture, f or w, givenchy, haute, paris