How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-07-2011
Looking Up

Yeah it would be really good to see something different. I mean this is absolutely jaw dropping but Tisci can do so much more.

06-07-2011
V.I.P.

I am loving dress on Kasia the best

06-07-2011
V.I.P.

The gold dress is stunning.

06-07-2011
V.I.P.

I don't have a problem with the Marchesa comparisons and quite frankly on certain dimensions Marchesa comes out ahead, namely more woman friendly and democratic, I don't consider it a plus for a design house when only the likes of Cate Blanchett and Naomi Campbell are suitable to wear your creations. Yes Tisci gets points for having a reference point and vision, and we all know that Marchesa's primary reference points are past Dior collections, although it should be noted that the dude has been having that same vision for I don't know how long, and just recently broke out of his funk, at least on the RTW front when he moved on from gothic religiosity to rottweilers and panthers.

Re this collection, I like its ethereal beauty, and the mixing of textures and materials are impressive. I definitely like it better than the last haute couture collection and it is a close second to the first collection of this ilk, I am over the sheer skirts and why are the shoes so ugly? The collection is at its most beautiful in medium quality images, but it starts to lose something in the HQs, at first glance I continue to be impressed by the architecture of the garments, but then it's like, "damn there is a lot going on and there's a lotta crap on that dress," and to me it becomes more about how to bedazzle using multiple materials than how to dress a woman.

Having said all that, I love this look, one of the best looks of the season:
http://a.yfrog.com/img620/3881/ol1hsp.jpg
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7...fullscreen.jpg

I like this one too:
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9...fullscreen.jpg

I think that I would have been more impressed if these two looks served as the jumping off point for the collection.

This one strayed into the too much going on category, but I still like it:
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6...fullscreen.jpg

Last edited by agee; 06-07-2011 at 08:33 AM.
06-07-2011
windowshopping

To be honest I think some of the reactions have been a bit ridiculous. Couture is about detail and when we look at how the details of Riccardo's shows have changed through his last couture shows they are really different. I think that a lot of people are looking at the silhouette of the dresses and seeing similarities between FW10 and SS11 HC when I mean ultimately you could never combine these three collections and try to call them one because they are so incredibly different.

Obviously the shape of the skirts and the bodices are similar but that's not to suggest we ignore everything that sets the collections apart. The hem lines have dropped and some of the skirts are finishing quite straight as opposed to the skirts that flared out in FW10. So yes some of the pieces are similar but some certainly are not. It's transitional to me.

But in the end I think we should give credit where credit is due - this collection would have taken thousands of hours of painstaking work, it's important we don't dismiss Riccardo's art as 'boring' or 'repetitive'.

Sorry I wrote so much..

Last edited by daisyhawkins; 06-07-2011 at 08:30 AM.
06-07-2011
front row

daisyhawkins I was just about to write that. It's true, the silhouette is quite similar as the last two seasons, but when you see HQ's, you really see that it's all about the details.

V.I.P.

Another stunning magical collection from Riccardo, when I think of couture I think of Givenchy, these gowns are just pure heaven esp the gowns on Kasia and Izabel

06-07-2011
windowshopping

Way before the HQ images were available I knew that this collection was going to be all about paying close attention to detail. I truly enjoy observing a designer's (artist) craftmanship, therefore I'm not disappointed.

06-07-2011
trendsetter

The intricate detailing is commendable for sure but honestly though.... I can't get over how the proportions made these models look like they're just above 5'3''.

06-07-2011
V.I.P.

that dress with the golden fringe...

and that clutch with the same fringe...

omfg

06-07-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Which customers though? Almost every gown in from the last collection was seen on a celeb which I'm sure they were borrowed.
Just because you only saw celebrities wearing the dresses does not mean Givenchy clienteles didn't purchase any of Riccardo's creations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodencebt View Post
When the clientele wants to see/buy the collection, she gets a private showing in the house's showroom. Believe me, they have time to show the collection to any faithful customer who's ready to buy.
Riccardo once said it in an interview and I was simply repeating it. I know clients can make appointments, I'm not ignorant

What's wrong with presentations? Why must collections be presented in such extravagant and lavish showings? It should be about the clothes and that is exactly what Riccardo is doing, allowing a small group of fashion insiders to see it up close an personal. Why should he entertain the rest of the world with runway shows when we aren't going to be purchasing these couture creations or using them for creative purposes?

Last edited by Ives927; 06-07-2011 at 01:36 PM.
06-07-2011
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives927 View Post
Just because you only saw celebrities wearing the dresses does not mean Givenchy clienteles didn't purchase any of Riccardo's creations.

Riccardo once said it in an interview and I was simply repeating it. I know clients can make appointments, I'm not ignorant

What's wrong with presentations? Why must collections be presented in such extravagant and lavish showings? It should be about the clothes and that is exactly what Riccardo is doing, allowing a small group of fashion insiders to see it up close an personal. Why should he entertain the rest of the world with runway shows when we aren't going to be purchasing these couture creations or using them for creative purposes?

If you're saying it should be all about the clothes and the experience for the clientèle then why the heck is he sending every single one of his gowns out for publicity with celebs? He's still entertaining the rest of the world who are not going to purchase them by loaning them out. At least he's saving in the production department.

As far as creative purposes, just send out the look book to people who request them specifically and call it a day.

06-07-2011
tfs star

I was talking about the presentation itself should be about the clienteles and editors, which is what Riccardo is doing, creating an intimate atmosphere and environment for them to see the clothing up close. I never said anything about celebrities. You brought that up about how you only see celebrities wearing Givenchy Couture on the redcarpet and questioned what other clienteles there are.

Everything I said was in regards to his presentations. They are created to entertain those who he chooses to invite. How he chooses to entertain the rest of the world later on is a separate entity. I never delved into that in any of posts.

Last edited by Ives927; 06-07-2011 at 02:25 PM.
06-07-2011
V.I.P.

Speaking only for myself, I agree with the assessment that this HC collection it is different details on the same silhouette, but I am not particularly impressed with taking the same silhouette and the same core materials, feathers and beads, add in a material that momentarily suits your fancy, e.g., metal bars and zippers, bedazzle (albeit amazingly) ten looks, rinse and repeat. I may like and even love the looks and be impressed with the craftsmanship, but I don't automatically see it as directional or the pinnacle of fashion design.

06-07-2011
fashion insider

Collection is very beautiful. I love white color. Models looks really like an angels.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, couture, f or w, givenchy, haute, paris