How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-07-2011
windowshopping

Tbh it really comes down to whether you think designers can continue a similar aesthetic throughout a couple of collections rather than an entirely different approach show to show (something we always saw with Alexander). That's a hard thing to decide. Francisco consistently shows minimalist work and it's flawless and beautiful and often named 'boring' but perhaps that's only if you see design as an art medium.

Always in fashion we see the artistic designer verse the market based designer - those whose ideas come from an idea and inspiration and grow and produce more ideas and, on the other hand, those whose ideas come from what customers want and what will sell. And within every designer there is a conflict of these two things. Karl is a very market based designer and that's why his work brings a lot of profit for Chanel, whereas Alexander worked from a personal place and people bought his pieces for their incredible beauty rather than day-to-day wear. But still Chanel features artistic reference and still Alexander created marketable pieces.

I think a lot of people see Riccardo as an artistic designer and for him to carry on themes in the way Bailey does it's assumed to be a bad thing. But it's fashion you know? If Riccardo chooses to use a silhouette he has used before because he knows it sells, rather than risk a totally new idea, that's his decision. The only real rules (I mean supposedly Resort is for Resort-ing but it's always full of jumpers) are what come from our personal opinions of what designers should and shouldn't be doing.

I WROTE TOO MUCH AGAIN. Sorry everyone I just wanted to make that sound right!

Last edited by daisyhawkins; 07-07-2011 at 02:35 PM.

07-07-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives927 View Post
Just because you only saw celebrities wearing the dresses does not mean Givenchy clienteles didn't purchase any of Riccardo's creations.
From watching The Secret World of Haute Couture I've learned that if an actual client sees a celebrity wearing one of the pieces, they usually wont purchase the same one. They want something one of a kind.

07-07-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogueParisLover View Post
From watching The Secret World of Haute Couture I've learned that if an actual client sees a celebrity wearing one of the pieces, they usually wont purchase the same one. They want something one of a kind.
That was Daphne Guinness, not everyone has the same ideas of clothing as Daphne Guinness. I think they still can be purchased but I guess old pieces that haven't been sold are eventually lended to Celebrities a couple of years later (Anne Hathaway wore an archive Valentino HC recently)

fashion insider

^ Opps! It's been a long time since I've seen it!

08-07-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogueParisLover View Post

That's understandable. If I was buying a couture piece I wouldn't want to turn on E! and see the same thing being worn by some celebrity. I'd probably cancel the order.

fashion icon

no tom ford, no thanks.

it's in these moments that the proposition of fashion and the notion of change truly interests me as one compares reactions to three collections -- resort, menswear, and couture -- and how contradictory they remain. when tisci put forward his beautiful bird of paradise resort collection for women, everyone decried it as just the same thing he had did before. "he's just doing more prints." then, when he pushed that pattern even more forward in menswear, everyone thought he had taken it too far. now, with the couture, when he's truly created easily the most opulent dresses we've seen all season, some think he hasn't changed enough. all of this tells me that tisci remains exactly on the right track. he knows exactly what his customer wants and he's giving them exactly what they're asking for. the woman who chooses to spend in excess of a hundred thousand dollars on a dress, does not want some temporal flight of fancy. she wants something she can slip into one decade from now and still touch that emotional place she found herself when she purchased it.

these dresses truly embody something profound about the times in which we live. it's in the gold. it's in the craftmanship. but it's also in the humility and the modernity. and as his collections have become obsessed "the light in the darkness," he's given us something so pure that still has something very troubling and devilish right beneath the surface.

V.I.P.

Just amazing, I saw the little style.com video and I'm impressed, especially by the fishdress... OMG!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, couture, f or w, givenchy, haute, paris