How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-01-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

to think back to his initial appointment to the house of givenchy that some of the fashion flock questioned whether or not tisci had the vision and talent to take on a couture house of this stature. let forever those critics be silent. it's quite frustrating, however, to find even among his fans some state that they don't find this collection dazzling enough or perhaps even hackneyed when just one year ago we witnessed purple bubble dresses and velvet pantsuits. this man has proven he belongs in the company of the lagerfelds and the gaultiers and the gallianos of the world. he's street enough to give us dog printed oversized t-shirts yet he's visionary enough to deliver this collection which looks like an oil painting it's so fantastic.

and unlike some couturiers of note, there's not one dress here so out-of-the-ordinary that it couldn't get worn tomorrow -- sans hats, of course -- to a red carpet event.

26-01-2011
front row

I really have no words to describe my enthusiasm and appreciation for this collection.

Just ****ing amazing.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
to think back to his initial appointment to the house of givenchy that some of the fashion flock questioned whether or not tisci had the vision and talent to take on a couture house of this stature. let forever those critics be silent. it's quite frustrating, however, to find even among his fans some state that they don't find this collection dazzling enough or perhaps even hackneyed when just one year ago we witnessed purple bubble dresses and velvet pantsuits. this man has proven he belongs in the company of the lagerfelds and the gaultiers and the gallianos of the world. he's street enough to give us dog printed oversized t-shirts yet he's visionary enough to deliver this collection which looks like an oil painting it's so fantastic.

and unlike some couturiers of note, there's not one dress here so out-of-the-ordinary that it couldn't get worn tomorrow -- sans hats, of course -- to a red carpet event.
I agree 100%

26-01-2011
rising star

wish we could have saw it in motion!

®

reminds me of a childhood i spent watching cartoons and power rangers.

but i don't see anything remotely beautiful in all these, i tried to find points of appreciation, as always, because last season's collection made my jaw drop. i don't see the fine craftsmanship so many others here say. the hats were absolutely hideous, the neon details at the back are like the plastic 'wings' of toy robots i played with in my childhood pasted garishly on the models' backs. the plastic zipper details too is a 'meh' IMO, it cheapens the rather opulent look infinitely especially when juxtaposed next to the sheer fabrics. this dress combined with this hat totally reminds me of Rita Repulsa in her own wedding dress. which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just that if this has been done more tastefully and with less gimmick, i think i would have liked it.

rising star

I'm a little bit disappointed. It's too similar to the last couture collection. My favorite thing about couture is the uniqueness. In this collection I don't see it. Yeah, I really like the embroidery, but it's the same place, same ideas... Boring and disappointing to me.

26-01-2011
fashion insider

This is the most beautiful yet modern couture collection! The detail techniques are breath-taking and the origami folds simple but effective.

26-01-2011
Looking Up

It's a such a shame because the dresses are so glorious but those headpieces ruin it. They're like a last resort attempt at trying to "go Japanese". Come on Ric, you could do better.

26-01-2011
windowshopping

absolutely amazing work

26-01-2011
front row

I really was not done seeing his last couture collection. So I'm so glad he is treading a similar path this time. I don't think couture has to dramatically change from season to season like RTW, that's why he has his RTW collection.

It is what it is. Couture. Costume, Dramatic, embroidered and embellished within an inch of its life, red-carpet ready, not red-carpet ready because of the costumy hats.

In my opinion it translates perfectly and incredibly.
And better than last time

windowshopping

I thought this collection was absolutely spectacular, and I don't say that easily.

V.I.P.

Precious

V.I.P.

The things sprouting out of their backs are REALLY weird. It looks like Tisci stuck a bunch of legos on the model's backs. The colors are also super jarring.

The collection is exquisitely made, but all of the dresses look like variations of last couture collection's ostrich feather dress. Only this time instead of skeletons, there are origami birds.

But satisfaction brought it back
27-01-2011
V.I.P.

I'm personally more wowed by the dresses in this collection than the last HC one, despite being very similar. The only HC collection this week that has impressed me.

tfs star

While certainly nowhere near important as the actual clothes, I think the hats are absolutely ridiculous. I've seen Philip Treacy make HUGE hats & headpieces, all of which, I think have struck a perfect harmony w/ the both the clothes and wearer (ie: McQueen, even this seasons Armani Prive collection), but here, the hats just look totally random & out-of-place...and they look like they actually weigh more than the models..

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, couture, givenchy, haute, paris, s or s