How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-12-2012
fashion elite

Givenchy is the only brand that makes couture!

20-12-2012
When in doubt, wear red.

WTF is going on in this (fashion) world ?!?! I thought his couture collections were very successful ?

V.I.P.

This can't be happening. No, I refuse to believe this is happening. Why can't Elie ZzZzaab take a break? Or Valentino? Why Givenchy?!

20-12-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
Agree with you yesitsdagny.

Yeah, The RTW collections are becoming hugely gimmicky, with those damn graphics that become dated the next season. I loved the masculinity and darkness of Tischi's vision of Couture-- it was always the anti-thesis of all those frothy, over-the-top girly-ness of so many's ideal of that medium. I loved how pared-down and tight the collections were, with only 10 pieces that were at once otherworldly and wearable, with the next collection evolving from the previous one-- instead of something completely new. I guess not many appreciate an organic process and deem it repetitive just because it's not a parade of excessive flashiness and gaudiness like at Chanel.
Even though I am fond of the graphics, I agree with the sentiment.

20-12-2012
chaos reigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIVENCHYlover View Post
Givenchy is the only brand that makes couture!
Darling, the Chambre Syndicale begs to differ. :p

fashion insider

Such a shame. I've said it before in these forums, but I'll say it again, I felt that Couture is where Riccardo truly shined. Givenchy RTW is usually hit and miss for me, but I suppose it will have to suffice from now on.

Hopefully the Couture line gets revived again later down the track, with some fresh inspirations and ideas. Hopefully.

20-12-2012
tfs star

I'm confused, they can't make a couture collection but they will still make couture dresses? How will that work?

20-12-2012
fashion icon

Aww... this is disappointing. Givenchy's couture collections were always one to watch. I hope it isn't too long of a hiatus, just a short one to get the inspiration flowing again. I imagine it can be incredibly draining always having to be on schedule and produce so many garments a year.

fashion insider

How were their HC sales going, I'm guessing not good?

21-12-2012
backstage pass

Oh wow... this is sad. Understandable though. Like YoninahAliza said, it seems extremely draining.

21-12-2012
Some Like It Hot

Quote:
#Givenchy will skip the January press couture presentation. Keeping the designs a surprise 4 Met Gala, where Riccardo Tisci is co-chair? WWD
*Jimshi809/Twitter
Quote:
There will be one less fantastical, intricately-crafted collection to ogle at the haute couture shows in January. Givenchy, whose couture collections have always been among the standouts each season, just announced it won’t be officially presenting a couture collection this season.

But that doesn’t mean the house isn’t still committed to producing couture. According to WWD, Givenchy will “continue making high fashions and welcome clients to its salons.” The house also told the trade that it’s still investing in its couture atelier and may present collections in the future.

Givenchy and designer Riccardo Tisci have been moving towards personalization in their couture business since 2010 when they changed the format of the brand’s couture shows. Instead of a runway extravaganza, Givenchy has been showcasing a small number of pieces on models in a still-life presentation format.

So now we’ll have to wait until Cate Blanchett shows up on a red carpet to see Givenchy couture.

But with Tisci co-chairing the Met Costume Institute Gala this spring, there should be plenty of Givenchy haute couture to tide you over.
*Fashionista.com

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by before View Post
I'm confused, they can't make a couture collection but they will still make couture dresses? How will that work?
They will just produce custom-made clothes for private clients and celebrities upon request.

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholybaby View Post
They will just produce custom-made clothes for private clients and celebrities upon request.
Yes I understand that but how is it possible for them to put in the resources for making custom-made clothes upon request but not an actual collection. What if the volume of requests is similar to what would be expected in cost from an actual collection?

21-12-2012
backstage pass

^^^The way Couture is traditionally presented as a complete vision is a huge loss in a House's revenue: the investment in labor and material to produce a collection, plus the investment in presentation. We all know that RTW and accessories provide the revenue for a House, while Couture provides and enforces the ultra-prestigious branding.

All Givenchy Couture is doing now is to cut the investment in presenting an official HC collection--that may, or may not be purchased by their clientele. The resources are there and ready to work-- if the clientele are ready to pay for a piece. They just want to cut the cost of advertising, so to speak.

21-12-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by before View Post
Yes I understand that but how is it possible for them to put in the resources for making custom-made clothes upon request but not an actual collection. What if the volume of requests is similar to what would be expected in cost from an actual collection?
They can use techniques from the past, all a presentation does is show clients samples of what they can do then from there they change it to their liking.

Honestly for the most part Givenchy has just been showing their extraordinary beading abilities for the past seasons (just barely were they changing the direction a bit), the cuts of all those white gowns they were showing is nothing special what made them extraordinary is the detail in them.

If someone requests something it doesn't necessarily have to be from this season particularly, it all depends on the client.

I don't think the cost is really an issue, and I don't see how hard it can be for them to make 15 gowns, take a picture of them and post it online, that's all they have been doing, they didn't even produce a runway show. I'm sure Riccardo has something up his sleeve and is being pretentious.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
collection, couture, givenchy, stops