How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-12-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderTMugler View Post
I don't think the cost is really an issue, and I don't see how hard it can be for them to make 15 gowns, take a picture of them and post it online, that's all they have been doing, they didn't even produce a runway show. I'm sure Riccardo has something up his sleeve and is being pretentious.
If your view on couture is simply making 15 pieces and posting pictures online then you are sorely mistaken. I'd imagine it's quite hard for them .. or at best certainly not easy.

Also, I'm sure cost is somewhat of an issue. I see the business move behind this decision. I'm not sure on the percentage of hiscouture collections that actually sold but now each piece will have a guaranteed buyer..makes sense to me. In a way it takes couture back to the essence of couture. Producing with a purpose, and making each piece more special, as opposed to producing a collection and hoping it tugs on someone's heartstrings.

21-12-2012
rising star

Well this sucks. Alexander Wang for Balenciaga, Margiela collaborating with H&M, Tisci no longer showing couture. Fashion is changing and not really for the better I think.

22-12-2012
front row

I wasn't surprised to hear this at all...It's sad but I'm sure it's not an entirely end to Givenchy couture's craftsmanship. I'm sure little easter eggs will show up every once in a while, granted for the right person....

Some Like It Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderTMugler View Post
They can use techniques from the past, all a presentation does is show clients samples of what they can do then from there they change it to their liking.

Honestly for the most part Givenchy has just been showing their extraordinary beading abilities for the past seasons (just barely were they changing the direction a bit), the cuts of all those white gowns they were showing is nothing special what made them extraordinary is the detail in them.

If someone requests something it doesn't necessarily have to be from this season particularly, it all depends on the client.

I don't think the cost is really an issue, and I don't see how hard it can be for them to make 15 gowns, take a picture of them and post it online, that's all they have been doing, they didn't even produce a runway show. I'm sure Riccardo has something up his sleeve and is being pretentious.
To call Couture 'nothing special' is quite insulting to the industry if I'm honest.

I think your understanding of Couture is mistaken, the most 'average' thing can take weeks if not months to cut and then construct without the most intricate embroideries which of late Givenchy have been increasingly intricate and time consuming which makes 'making 15 gowns, take a picture of them and post it online' by far less than simple to do.

Last edited by Chanelcouture09; 23-12-2012 at 05:49 AM.
27-12-2012
trendsetter

Are you kidding?

backstage pass

I guess Tisci ran out of ideas. Truth be told, the gowns were looking like each other more and more every season.

Ère de ℳodernité

That is some very sad news. I sincerely hope we're not leaning towards a complete disappearance of couture. It is part of the essence of fashion itself, and justifies why some people refer to fashion as an art form. Having to witness its extinction would be like witnessing the destruction of an historical monument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexagon sun View Post
Such a shame. I've said it before in these forums, but I'll say it again, I felt that Couture is where Riccardo truly shined...
Agreed. It has been a while since I've liked one of his RTW collections, but he always managed to win me over with his haute couture offers. His last few HC collections were quite repetitive, but they always had that little something that managed to impress me.

V.I.P.

Nooooo... My favorite couture collections are not being continued?

12-03-2013
V.I.P.

He has designed a custom Couture piece for Rihanna's tour... "Urban Haute Couture Elegance"

Quote:
March 11, 2013
Rihanna to Wear Custom Givenchy Couture on Tour
By Paulina Szmydke
WWD Issue 03/11/2013

A sketch of an onstage costume for Rihanna by Riccardo Tisci.

HAUTE PERFORMANCE: Riccardo Tisci has become a go-to guy for haute stage costumes. Rihanna kicked off her Diamonds World Tour Friday night in Buffalo in a custom Givenchy couture. A floor-sweeping ruffled silk crepe cape in black with a embroidered collar and a pair of black-and-white leather thigh-high boots with lacing details was the first thing the singer’s fans saw when she walked on stage.

The dark, yet romantic mood underlying Rihanna’s music and Tisci’s fashions continued throughout the lower layers of the singer’s costume. Taking cues from his fall men’s collection, Tisci designed a printed parka featuring gold bullet motifs, embroidery and Swarovski Elements. Underneath was a black-and-white leather bra with golden buckles and starry embroideries, juxtaposing a pair of black silk and satin mini shorts. Accenting the ensemble was a pair of couture goggles featuring gold hardware, a gold metal shark tooth necklace reading “RIRI” in the back, and white crystal stud earrings.

According to Givenchy, the costume is a symbol of “female empowerment and urban haute couture elegance.”

“Rihanna represents what young and amazing means today,” explained Tisci. “She is punk and talented. She offers intelligence, energy and pure beauty. She is the face of her generation.”

Following her sold-out performance in Buffalo, Rihanna had to cancel Sunday night’s concert in Boston due to laryngitis.
wwd.com

There are a few pictures of her stage outfits in Rihanna's thread. I'm assuming only the one in the 5th picture is a Givenchy one? They all look horrible.

12-03-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post
He has designed a custom Couture piece for Rihanna's tour... "Urban Haute Couture Elegance"

wwd.com

There are a few pictures of her stage outfits in Rihanna's thread. I'm assuming only the one in the 5th picture is a Givenchy one? They all look horrible.
The pics that she wore the custom couture piece have not been out yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by LRlovesDaria; 12-03-2013 at 04:42 AM.
12-03-2013
Hell on Heels

the boots and the hotpants look exactly like the ones in the sketch though

12-03-2013
fashion insider

Couture, not Rottweilers!

15-03-2013
Hell on Heels

another piece for the rihanna tour:

Quote:
DARK & ROMANTIC - Rihanna in Givenchy Haute Couture by Riccardo Tisci for her Diamonds World Tour. Discover the cape's sketch of Rihanna's concert entrance.

givenchy's official facebook page

19-03-2013
Hell on Heels

the actual clothes:
Quote:
Artist Rihanna in Givenchy Haute Couture by Riccardo Tisci. — RIHANNA - Diamonds World Tour Costumes.

givenchy's official facebook page

19-03-2013
V.I.P.

hm

i have no big complaints i guess...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
collection, couture, givenchy, stops