How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-03-2013
front row

I think it's kinda hilarious that he went from making these stunning pieces of art to such mediocre designs. Rihanna's stuff is pretty much exactly the same as his Madonna stuff for the superbowl, which I thought was hideous enough. His "bespoke" designs are frankly stupid. The dress he made for Florence Welch at the grammys was such a downgrade. It's a green dress with green spikes and sequined, as if it's anything special. He should go back to Couture, because that's where the house of Givenchy belongs. Not on a trashy celebrity.

19-03-2013
Hell on Heels

the thing is that what he delivered for rihanna it's basically what we've seen on his collections from fall 2011 one. Even Florence was basically wearing this dress in a different color by the way, it was just a rehash of an old dress.

style.com

i really miss his couture (even though it's been away only for 1 season).

19-03-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistress_f View Post
the thing is that what he delivered for rihanna it's basically what we've seen on his collections from fall 2011 one. Even Florence was basically wearing this dress in a different color by the way, it was just a rehash of an old dress.

please do not quote images
style.com

i really miss his couture (even though it's been away only for 1 season).
I didn't know it was just a remake. But still. His bespoke pieces that will show up at the met ball will probably suck. When he designed Beyoncec's dress last year, it totally ruined the dress it was based off. I don't even like her to begin with, but when she showed up in that dress I nearly vomited.

Last edited by lucy92; 01-04-2013 at 09:30 AM. Reason: please do not quote images
19-03-2013
fashion insider

I'm sorry but Rihanna is simply wearing custom designs from Riccardo, there is nothing that screams HC for her looks.

trendsetter

This really shows how it's all about the money.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)
19-03-2013
Hell on Heels

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGIN View Post
I'm sorry but Rihanna is simply wearing custom designs from Riccardo, there is nothing that screams HC for her looks.
oh i agree! it's the brand itself that's calling it ~haute couture

22-03-2013
V.I.P.

it's true. The green version that Florence wore, someone in the Stars wear runway thread said she looked like a dinosaur. And it wasn't a far off remark.

28-03-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinadaze View Post
This really shows how it's all about the money.
Yeah, but it also says something about the demand for couture. I think that we'll see less and less couture in the future.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKnardi View Post
Yeah, but it also says something about the demand for couture. I think that we'll see less and less couture in the future.
That's not true. The demand for couture is higher than it's been in years. Russia, China, and the Middle East have a lot of new money. And I mean (besides the Middle Easter royals) a LOT of new money. Russia is becoming a major client source because of the oil in Serbia. So the demand for couture is high, especially for BIG brands like Chanel and Dior. I just doubt that the demand for Givency couture is really high. Riccardo does 20 couture dresses a year. So it's harder for the clients to get something more personalized. And Givenchy's revenue from 2012 is only 117m euro. So I think Givenchy couture is just something they used as press. Their couture showroom must be a snoozefest.

01-04-2013
V.I.P.

their Haute Couture pieces actually used to be exhibited at their store on St Honore Faubourg. like, instead of mannequins wearing the Pret a Porter stuff, they'd wear the Haute Couture pieces, meaning that you could get real close to them.

and basically, with Haute Couture, every client can have the outfit of their dreams made. it doesn't have to be something from the shown collection, not even remotely based on it.

i think Tisci watered down the brand a bit too much in the recent collections. instead of doing something worthy of being 'high fashion', he sold t-shirts. which other Haute Couture brand relies on t-shirts?

sure it brings in the quick buck, but when you cater to the low end for too long, you're alienating the high end.

03-05-2013
front row

Discover one sketch designed by Riccardo Tisci for the costumes of the ballet 'Boléro’ by Ravel at the Opéra Garnier in Paris.

‘Boléro is all about intensity! The music has such an intense feeling. I wanted the dancers to feel naked somehow. The costumes express two sides of me: darkness and romanticism. The dancers wear nude catsuits in illusion tulle embroidered with white lace forming a skeleton. They shed several layers as they dance just like the life cycle of animals or flowers losing their petals. They become these moving skeletons, strong and fragile at the same time.’
Riccardo Tisci

givenchy's facebook

03-05-2013
Hell on Heels

some photos from a magazine's facebook page:

facebook.com/amagazinecuratedby

03-05-2013

Those costumes look sick.

V.I.P.

damn, look at those bodies of the dancers....

06-05-2013
backstage pass

Imagine how amazing a couture dress based off of those costumes would be.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
collection, couture, givenchy, stops