How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-12-2012
Some Like It Hot

Givenchy Stops Couture Collection
Quote:
GIVENCHY is taking a break from creating its couture collection and will not show during the Paris schedule in January.

While it's not yet known how long the intended hiatus is, the brand has confirmed that Riccardo Tisci will continue to produce one-off couture dresses for high-profile red carpet events - such as the 2013 Costume Institute Ball next May.

The brand stopped presenting large-scale couture catwalk shows in 2010, preferring instead to stage a more intimate presentation. Givenchy will continue to concentrate on its ready-to-wear line and has declined to comment on whether there are any plans to create haute couture collections again in the future.
*Vogue.co.uk

20-12-2012
she's got the look

Lacroix, Givenchy... What's next?

windowshopping

sad news...

20-12-2012
fashion elite

Nooooooo!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

20-12-2012
fashion icon

What!?? I'm so disappointed in Riccardo and the direction he has chosen for the brand. It seems Givenchy is now all about those tacky animal print tee shirts. And the customer of the brand went from Audrey Hepburn to Kanye West. What a letdown. For the past few years I only enjoyed the couture collections of Givenchy and now they took it away as well.

V.I.P.

Im happy it really needs a time off the pieces were getting repetitive season after season. but I hope it doesn't take a long time off! maybe 2-3 season is enough for the designer to come up with fresh ideas.

Hell on Heels

What. This is a disgrace, it was one of the few collections left that really got me excited and almost never ever disappointed.
How is Giambattista Valli doing couture and not riccardo?

20-12-2012
Stitch:the Hand

to be honest with you,i'm not terribly surprised by this measure. i feel like couture in the last five years has become increasingly less as important on the fashion itinerary as PAP,bridge lines and of course the rise in commercial endeavours. more so now since the industry is already struggling in this economy as it is,HC and the work that tends to go into it seems would only exacerbate the problem.

20-12-2012
backstage pass

Agree with you yesitsdagny.

Yeah, The RTW collections are becoming hugely gimmicky, with those damn graphics that become dated the next season. I loved the masculinity and darkness of Tischi's vision of Couture-- it was always the anti-thesis of all those frothy, over-the-top girly-ness of so many's ideal of that medium. I loved how pared-down and tight the collections were, with only 10 pieces that were at once otherworldly and wearable, with the next collection evolving from the previous one-- instead of something completely new. I guess not many appreciate an organic process and deem it repetitive just because it's not a parade of excessive flashiness and gaudiness like at Chanel.

20-12-2012
V.I.P.

I am genuinely devastated.

20-12-2012
fashion insider

I hope this is a temporary hiatus.

20-12-2012
V.I.P.

Wait, what?

20-12-2012
Geometric Discharge

How incredibly disappointing.
Out of all of the famous couture houses left Riccardo was doing something unique, modern and truly stunning with his couture collections at Givenchy. The seed beads encrusting dresses, or alligator scales cut out individually and re-sewn onto chiffon - these were some of the astounding ideas that really caught my attention and really made me believe that Haute Couture might be able to live on in the 21st century.
But it can't.
The masters are gone, may be for different reasons but they are all going, McQueen, Lacroix, Galliano, Ghesquiere at Balenciaga, and now the epitome of Riccardo's genius.. they all disappearing.. drowned in the murky pond of mediocrity.

20-12-2012
barcode

The strange thing is that, with all of the money the company must rake in from all of those cult tees, bags, shoes, printed scarves and jewelry would you'd think it would balance out the cost of their two couture presentations a year.

It's incredibly disappointing, if for no other reason than the fact that the house is a pillar of the couture. Yes Riccardo's collections lately had the tendency to bleed into each other a bit, and yes I was hoping that he'd eventually return to a runway, but I'd take more seasons of exquisite similarity over nothing at all.

Last edited by Spike413; 20-12-2012 at 02:13 PM.
20-12-2012
fashion insider

My heart just skipped a beat. Tragic news......Maybe the Mayans were riht and the world is ending tomorrow.

It was a matter of time is guess and now the brand can focus on making incredible ready to wear pieces

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
collection, couture, givenchy, stops