How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-07-2005
trendsetter

actually i should probably add to the best lables list VERSACE (when gianni was designing)

17-07-2005
kit
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCats
Other than that; Kit's list seems very good, cut Dior Homme for me though...
Actually , I thought long and hard over the last one and only put in DIOR HOMME , faut de mieux .

I think that I will take a chance on infuriating Arturo 21 , and nominate one of the staple labels of my fashion life STILL -

' Marithe et Francois Girbaud ' . The REAL one from Paris :-

http://www.marithefrancoisgirbaud.com/

NOT the overseas watered -down , licensee rubbish , like TWENTY - Barcelona , etc .

17-07-2005
tfs star

good god, I find nothing worse than Girbaud, from their technofibres, patchwork details and gimmicks, I find it terribly dated... (they´ve also been starting to copy from designers like McQueen)

I find it quite hard to name a list "of all times", many of the legendary names would come to mind for me... for sure Balenciaga for his structured silhouettes, the Japanese (especially Yohji Yamamoto) and the inventor of the Bias-cut, Madeleine Vionnet. The list goes on, although I wouldn´t necessarily find Christian Dior a very important innovator (as well as Hubert de Givenchy or Marcel Rochas) - apart from Yves Saint Laurent who was a pioneer with his women´s tuxedos.

However, here´s my greatest designers of today list (in no order):

- Olivier Theyskens
- Hussein Chalayan
- Junya Watanabe
- Hedi Slimane (apart from the silhouette, it´s the textiles that are subversive in men´s fashion)
- Nicolas Guesquière
- Hamish Morrow
- Sophia Kokosalaki (for her instantly recognizable hand-finished, draped clothes - if only she would find a manufacturer that can actually *produce* all this...)

I never really understood the point about Alber Elbaz, though - I find a lot of what he does for Lanvin a bit too easily made from a technical point of view - classic garments with frayed edges in luxe fabrics, what´s the deal about this?

Last edited by tricotineacetat; 17-07-2005 at 02:22 PM.
17-07-2005
kit
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotineacetat
good god, I find nothing worse than Girbaud, from their technofibres, patchwork details and gimmicks, I find it terribly dated... (they´ve also been starting to copy from designers like McQueen)

I find it quite hard to name a list "of all times", many of the legendary names would come to mind for me... for sure Balenciaga for his structured silhouettes, the Japanese (especially Yohji Yamamoto) and the inventor of the Bias-cut, Madeleine Vionnet. The list goes on, although I wouldn´t necessarily find Christian Dior a very important innovator (as well as Hubert de Givenchy or Marcel Rochas) - apart from Yves Saint Laurent who was a pioneer with his women´s tuxedos.

However, here´s my greatest designers of today list (in no order):

- Olivier Theyskens
- Hussein Chalayan
- Junya Watanabe
- Hedi Slimane (apart from the silhouette, it´s the textiles that are subversive in men´s fashion)
- Nicolas Guesquière
- Hamish Morrow
- Sophia Kokosalaki (for her instantly recognizable hand-finished, draped clothes - if only she would find a manufacturer that can actually *produce* all this...)

I never really understood the point about Alber Elbaz, though - I find a lot of what he does for Lanvin a bit too easily made from a technical point of view - classic garments with frayed edges in luxe fabrics, what´s the deal about this?
Fair does , Trico

I'm talking a fashion life , not just a moment . Girbaud represents the ultimate in French chic , no less and no more .

Always super jeans , with the little touches that mark out a label's particularity .

I really miss their , ' Compagnie des Montagnes et des Forets ' leathers from the 80s , and they also did some super leathers for ' Ruffo ' , around the same time .

I think that they have started doing leather again , but I've not yet seen it .

Loking foward to doing so .

17-07-2005
trendsetter

Designers:

John Galliono
Karl Lagerfeld
Jimmy Choo
Marc Jacobs
Monique Lhuillier

Labels:

Hermes
Fendi
Dior
Chanel
Luella

17-07-2005
front row

This is certainly a hard topic to answer, but fun! Especially since the term "Greatest" is so hard to define, I think. Do we mean greatest all around? Or greatest at innovation? Or most influential? Or a mixture of them all?

Anyway, for me, I guess that "Greatest" would mean great design, innovation, influence, as well as the ability to connect meaningfully to a large audience. I don't necessarily mean "popularity" as much as impact. I think that there are probably MANY incredibly creative designers out there, but I believe that the "great" category is reserved for those who know how to get their designs out there in a way that impacts people in many ways. So, I don't think that I could put Yegor Zaitsev or Callot Soeurs on my list... because I'm embarassed to admit I've never heard of them.

Top 5 current designers:
Helmut Lang
Jean-Paul Gaultier
Alexander McQueen
Nicholas Ghesquiere
Rei Kawakubo

Top 5 current labels:
Prada (like them or hate them, it is impossible NOT to recognize their influence over the past decade or so)
Etro
Hermes
Comme des Garcons (and their 9 million other internal lines and labels)
Dior

17-07-2005
windowshopping

1. Oscar de la renta
2. Givenchy
3. Versace
4. Balenciaga
5. Dsquared

army of lovers

YSL
Dior
Chanel
Balenciaga
Galliano
Calvin Klein

17-07-2005
V.I.P.

madame gres for her liberating application of fabric on the body (inventing the bias cut)

issey miyake is a modern day equivalent of madame gres. i see his forms as 'non' fashion. instead of pinning many many pleats and draping, he creates a similar effect w/ heat pleating processes. instead of creating the 'effect' of liquid movement he creates the form is inherently made for comfort and movement. his 'statement' is in the product and the liberation of fashion as a symbol of class.

comme des garcons the true contemporary avant garde designer: she has her thumbs in many pies whether it be clothing, graphic design teetering on the edge of fine art, retail .... Rei Kawakubo is an excellent strategist. the main philosophy of her vision 'movement, never staying the same' probably is one of the most successful brand identities in the world.

18-07-2005
windowshopping

i should apologise if i veered a bit off topic... it's just that i dont go in for popular couture.
I love the past... in my eyes all great fashion died after the 1950's.
thats just me.
I am a fan of fashion within the dates 1830- 1959
there are a few designers i like nowadays, but i enjoy full gowns, lace, hobble shirts and bustles. the corset and crinoline created the female figure divine!
when the british came into china the natives thought that when the englishwomen came off the ship their gowns brought in the sea with them. (could have been the opium talking lol) i chose YSL as one of mine because he incorporates alot of the past in his designs ( and because he was an innovator, having started out in an aprenticeship with Dior), and tom ford for his work with YSL and gucci.
I love norma shearer, greta garbo, marlene dietrich, and jean harlow.... glamour divine!
*p.s. coco chanel made comfortable clothes. they were not hideous and she wasnt a con... in the 1920's she helped women who were fighting for their freedoms to find the same freedoms in their clothes. and anyways she wasnt a bad person...she was a slut who dated nazi's and climbed over well made men to get to her position.... she was..confused.
:-) *

18-07-2005
front row

Designers:
Coco Chanel
Gianni Versace
Donatella Versace
Tom Ford
Yves Saint Laurent
Sophia Kokosalaki
Issey Miyake
John Galliano

Labels:
Chanel
Versace
Gucci
Dior
Biba
de la Renta

Last edited by LeLuna; 18-07-2005 at 07:57 AM.
18-07-2005
taz
MUSE

YSL, Dior & CHANEL will last forever

29-07-2005
rising star

my choix
My choix are:

John Galliano
Nicolas Ghesquiere
Olivier Theyskens
Vivienne Westwood
Chanel
Balenciaga
Vionnet
and the most important-- Yves Saint Laurent, the master of all...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
designers, greatest, time