How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-02-2011
fashion elite

frida closed the show in that outfit? polka dots and stripped pants. are you kidding? love the lipstick.

23-02-2011
tfs star

this is so tacky. especially for fall. but ugh, after last season...what a disappointment

fashion elite

Gucci - F/W 11.12 - Full Show (Exclusive on You Tube)

fashion insider

I actually love this. The style of this collection doesn't exactly fit the "Gucci image", and I can see some inspirations, but I just really like this collection as a whole. The dresses are quite beautiful.

front row

Too much fur. I don't see the need for fur as is and this is ridiculous.

®

i think this is a lovely collection! i love the use of fur and that snakeskin coat just looks so luxurious and classy (and an animal-rights magnet too). loved the boldly rich, rather dark tones too. i think no matter how stunning a Gucci collection may be, people here are just bound to piss on it but heap praises on a Givenchy / Prada collection like there's no tomorrow no matter how hideous it may be. well that's what it looks like to me anyway, all the hate i read throughout the thread just made me appreciate this collection more.

V.I.P.

"Overkill" comes to mind. And "garish." Disagee with Suzy's write up too, as I don't even really like the accessories. This is too retro for its own good. Except, perhaps, the floaty dresses, the ONLY possible saving grace, imo.

24-02-2011
barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by agee View Post
Tom Ford invented the clothing side of Gucci so there's no escaping his legacy and aesthetic; having said that, these days Frida is doing Tom Ford better than Tom Ford because her take on Tom Ford is far more modern than his.
Is it though? I mean I can see where someone might feel that Tom's new womenswear is somewhat dated (I don't, but it's a valid criticism), but this seems modern to you? I mean I look at most of this collection and not only is it fairly dated in it's more-is-more tacky/luxe aesthetic, it's extremely retro on top of that. Even the pieces I do like, such as the fluid dresses or some of the wool coats, really do scream 70s to me. I look at them and I don't see a reinterpretation of that era, I see a recreation of it.

I dunno, I stand by my feeling that Frida should just steer clear of the 70s, or any particular decade for that matter. She just doesn't know how to filter her inspirations. Her execution always seems so ham-handed. I still love the color palette though, even if some looks were overloaded.

24-02-2011
fashion elite

I liked the colours used, though I must admit that it was quite a bit to take in at first. I also liked the dresses, hats, and handbags. But unfortunately what was done to the fur was enough to make this a diabolic collection overall for me I'm naturally not a fan of fur but excessive use of fur in my opinion is not luxurious and dyed into these colours takes it down to a level beneath tacky...

24-02-2011
flaunt the imperfection

what is really sad to me is that so many posters here seem to think that this look comes from tom ford...

when in fact...
he stole it from YSL and Halston...
*sigh*...

granted....this stuff is not original...
but it's also nothing to do with tom ford...
he copied it just as much as she did...

and this is far more wearable than any of his stuff ever was...imho...

i would pare it down, of course...
no one is really expected to wear it with the hats and furs...
that's just for the runway...and it's totally fun, imo...
why not...?...when else are you going to do it...?
it's funny and fun....

it's just not very ground-breaking or revolutionary...

***will be interested to see what hedi slimane does when he takes over the house of YSL...
what will his interpretation be...?
kind of easy for him though...cause he can copy YSL and get away with it!!!...

i think this is good for gucci...
this is what they should be...imo...
and i like the colours a lot...

Last edited by softgrey; 24-02-2011 at 02:37 AM.
24-02-2011
Mr. Magic

I love Lisa (@1:55)

Some other videos:

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
24-02-2011
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
Is it though? I mean I can see where someone might feel that Tom's new womenswear is somewhat dated (I don't, but it's a valid criticism), but this seems modern to you? I mean I look at most of this collection and not only is it fairly dated in it's more-is-more tacky/luxe aesthetic, it's extremely retro on top of that. Even the pieces I do like, such as the fluid dresses or some of the wool coats, really do scream 70s to me. I look at them and I don't see a reinterpretation of that era, I see a recreation of it.

I dunno, I stand by my feeling that Frida should just steer clear of the 70s, or any particular decade for that matter. She just doesn't know how to filter her inspirations. Her execution always seems so ham-handed. I still love the color palette though, even if some looks were overloaded.
i think the a-line skirts, culottes and silk bow blouses are really quite classic shapes...
not dated at all, but rather, timelessly modern...
i have a vintage ysl bow blouse that looks just as good as an APC bow blouse and my friend has one from H&M...
i think this looks good at any time...at any price point...
and it seems especially 'of the moment' just now...

i get the 70's thing...it's totally that...
totally...
but it's also kind of 40's (bonnie and clyde, as someone mentioned)
this look never really goes away...just fades in the background for a little bit and then makes a comeback...

mostly because these shapes flatter most women-
no matter what age or figure type...

24-02-2011
V.I.P.

YSL 's famous collection 40 , in 1971 was really panned for being too retro 40s , people hated it initially but it became one of the defining looks of the 70s , eventhough its really 40s fashion , 30-40 years from now people will say they same thing, not 70s but 90s etc . More than anything this collection reaks of garish 1940s pimps and prostitutes . Problem with Frida is , her sense of designing has no base or depth . Marc Jacobs continually uses retro elements but injects modern quirkiness , and his collections have a lot of soul. While I like this collection from Frida , I know its just a fluke , there is always a nasty frida pant on the horizon waiting lol

Last edited by disco54; 24-02-2011 at 04:25 AM.
24-02-2011
V.I.P.

This collection will sell really well though , the trouser suits are very flattering , rich skanks will buy those fur coats , etc. I want the hats lol

24-02-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmut.newton View Post
Oh my lord this is an absolute kitschy mess of a collection! I am so surprised because her last two collections seemed very toned down but still luxurious. Why did she decide to go down this path? In comparison to Tom Ford, what she is doing here (day wear in particular) is really embarrassing in terms of design.

What happened here? Apart from the fact that the colour combinations are painfully horrific, half of this collection (minus the evening wear) looks like it was taken from the costume department of Foxy Brown or something! Too much reference to the past and not enough modernity!

I am also slightly confused by the timing of this collection. It is trendy, but for last season, (the whole YSL 70's aesthetic that we saw at many Spring 2011 collections). Why is she revisiting this aesthetic now?
i tend to agree with this assessment. one had more license to go overboard last season when these colors and this aesthetic hit the market fresh, but in the second season of it, it calls for design houses to either bring something new to this look or move on. one has got to wonder whether or not the fact that the tom ford boutique may open across the street from the gucci boutique has something to do with why frida would langour in this time period. a time period which never stood as her strongest suit. last season gave the milanese answer to marc jacobs glowing collection. and the menswear for this season remains on point. this just feels slightly repetitive although there exist very good pieces in here. all in all, it's a mixed bag. i guess it's hard to design out of fear.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, f or w, gucci, milan