How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-08-2008
tfs star

http://the-polyglot.blogspot.com/200...francisco.html

Quote:
But whatís most interesting about the Traina siblings is that they have allowed the public a glimpse into the world of future couture clients, where daughters are often introduced to coutureís private realm through their mothers. Their introduction to the craft and beauty of couture started early on through the exploration of their famous motherís vast closets and then continued each time they accompanied her to Paris to view the collections and sit in the gilded atmosphere of the couture salonís (while their mother was being fitted).

31-08-2008
Meg
inspired contemplation

thanks for the articles. Very interesting. It's funny. I'd love to know the relative price point of couture from the turn of the 20th century and mid 20th century. Because I never got the impression that it was as expensive as it is now. I mean, relatively. Perhaps because more people did it? It seemed like it ranged from well-to-do ladies who lunched up to and including royalty. Whereas today, starting points are 5-10k. Does anyone know about this?

01-09-2008
V.I.P.

^That's actually something I have wondered about for a really long time and still haven't found anything on it. It'd be impossible for prices to be the same as they are now, because in the mid twentieth century it seems that it wouldn't be uncommon for the wealthy to dress only in couture (and wear several outfits a day), whereas now that'd be completely ridiculous even for the richest.

Hmm...

01-09-2008
Fat Karl

Well, in the past...Haute Couture was the only way to buy designer fashion...there was no Ready-to-Wear. Relatively, I would definitely say that Couture of the past was less expensive than Couture of today. That's not to say that it wasn't expensive, but I think it was more along the lines of today's Ready-to-Wear price points. Ready-to-Wear didn't start until YSL.

Last edited by dior_couture1245; 01-09-2008 at 12:41 PM.
01-09-2008
tfs star

Wages were very low. Handmade clothes could be from the local seamstress, copying styles from a magazine, rather than Paris. You could also have your own full-time seamstress/dresser.

HC meant a trip to Paris, which was also a big expense. Of course once your dressmaker's dummy was made up, you could just order. I think these dresses were still very expensive. The expense was always part of the appeal, since your peers could tell the difference.

01-09-2008
tfs star

This is from a fascinating thread on a London couturiere around 1900, who expanded to NY and Paris.

Quote:
These dresses will take 12-15 days for delivery as they are all custom made. Delivery charges prepaid by us.
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ml#post4847427

Elinor Glyn photo scanned from the book "High Society Photographs 1897-1914" by Terence Pepper via Sacheverelle

02-09-2008
V.I.P.

^wow, that dress would still look modern today, i love it

12-11-2009
V.I.P.

This thread is very interesting and informative. However one thing I don not understand is why one must be admitted to Federation Francaise de la Couture before being able to purchase a Haute Couture piece?

If a woman suddenly decided to, say purhcase something from Chanels Haute Couture Atelier at Rue Cambon, would they say "No. We're sorry, you'll have to go through the Federation Francaise de la Couture"? Would a business turn away a potential million dollar profit?

Is it against the law to sell Haute Couture to non-registered clients or is it simply ill-advised?

12-11-2009
V.I.P.

I'm ninety-nine percent confident that the federation only regulates the businesses themselves and anyone with enough money could be a potential customer.

12-11-2009
rising star

You know that list of things to do before you die, one of mine is to own something couture. Better dream big right.

So how much does couture cost. I know the price is significant and I am asking a question like "how long is a piece of string" but I hve always wondered.
So for example how much would a Dior couture gown cost (ball park), or say a chanel couture suit. I know my question is very vague and the answer could be even more vague but I'm just after price ranges and what are the starting prices for garments.

oh and i'm not buying anything, it is for inteest sake.

12-11-2009
Power to the 99%

^ My impression is that you could spend anywhere from car money to house money on a piece of couture.

12-11-2009
rising star

ahhhhh thanks ta-ta
good way of putting it!

12-11-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ My impression is that you could spend anywhere from car money to house money on a piece of couture.
Would this include my '89 Nissan? It's worth at least $400...! Several Chanel buttons, maybe?

12-11-2009
rising star

^^^ I hope so, I could definitly afford couture if this is the case.

12-11-2009
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Would this include my '89 Nissan? It's worth at least $400...! Several Chanel buttons, maybe?
I had in mind more a new car But the Nissan should get you a feather or two ... maybe a couple lengths of handspun silk embroidery thread ...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clients, couture, haute