How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-01-2010
V.I.P.

^damn, i wish i had seen that....!!

25-01-2010
This is the Renaissance

I remember that in the JPG documentary. So scary!

I read an article somewhere that some ladies do not sit front row so that they don't ruin their husband's image.

Some of these women are the wives of politicians (in some cases, of poorer countries) or CEOs who don't want to be photographed should they be regarded as silly or extravagant.

They would later wear their couture and say "Oh, this old thing? It's nothing!"

25-01-2010
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
^ Good point... I saw an article about Becca Cason Thrash who is featured in Secret World of Haute Couture, and evidently she has the same problem...They were at a huge Houston Society dinner party she gave at her mansion and she changed three times during the evening so that she could show off her couture....bizarre...
I just lost what respect I had for her ... you really don't want to out-Lindsay Ms Lohan ...

In my mind, you want to be nonchalant, to wear whatever you have lightly. It's certainly not nonchalant to leave your guests three times to change But it is nouveau riche

25-01-2010
V.I.P.

^ True, on the other hand, Houston Society has few opportunities to show off- in between the cattle auctions and such....

25-01-2010
Power to the 99%

^ If she can afford 4 changes of couture, she can afford a plane and a ticket to a party somewhere else in the world.

25-01-2010
V.I.P.

^ Well it's her husband's business friends and all- Oyl, Darlin'! You remember Dallas, right? The actual oil industry is based in Houston, along with their ridiculously extravagant wives...

Last edited by Boomer; 25-01-2010 at 05:26 PM.
26-01-2010
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
I just lost what respect I had for her ... you really don't want to out-Lindsay Ms Lohan ...

In my mind, you want to be nonchalant, to wear whatever you have lightly. It's certainly not nonchalant to leave your guests three times to change But it is nouveau riche
i'd rather her do this than not buy it at all because that's what the couture is faced with. it's part of the crisis with fashion as a whole i really do think....honestly, in this economic environment, where else can one wear the stuff. there's only a select few that appreciate actual fashion in times like these. even the first lady has been forced to don j.crew for fear of populist outrage.

Power to the 99%

^ I don't think there's anything forced or inauthentic about J Crew and the First Lady. I guess I don't see the 'crisis' in fashion and/or couture as one of the world's leading crises ... hopefully that will not cause my membership to be rescinded I find this couture-changing thing tacky, absurd, not to say obscene and reminiscent of Marie Antoinette.

26-01-2010
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraJH View Post
Couture is no longer about profit, and it is barely about the status of being able to afford it anymore (we all know how expensive Balmain runs). Couture shows are just another advertisment for the brand.

I agree. For most brands it isn't about profit. For the smaller ones, it is all they do, so clients are extremely important.

I miss going to couture!

I want to be a client so badly!

26-01-2010
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelcouture09 View Post
^i don't exactly know to be fair but do you remember in 'The secret world of haute couture' Becca Cason Thrash said she started on the back row of the couture shows and she worked her way to the front row by raising money for 'the american friends of the louvre' but i dont know how they get their foot in the door

you are very right about business is business

From what I've seen, you do need to build relationships with the houses in order to receive an invitation to the fashion shows. Being Parisian helps a lot. Shopping in Paris helps a lot too. I think the easiest to get an invitation (as an unknown) is by shopping a lot at the flagships in Paris, so much at you are made VIP. Then drop hints that you would like to attend the show. This must be done over some time.

If you don't have enough money to do that, being in the industry, or having contacts in the luxury industry is extremely helpful. In Paris, so much is who you know. Almost everything works by relationships.

26-01-2010
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
I remember when I was learning French my professor explained a little bit about the French culture of buying. You don't simply walk into, say, a piano store, and buy a piano. You must be referred there by someone who knows the business owner.

I'm really oversimplying it, but that's the gist of it. It's all about connections and working your way through this elaborate transparent social system.

I'm guessing it's the same with couture. Of course, I wouldn't know from experience
Agreed!

26-01-2010
This is the Renaissance

Right, because it isn't just about money, that's so vulgar!

You have to have the money, the connections, the pedigree, the interest and an appreciation of the couture process. When I think about all that, I'm a little surprised there are 200 couture customers left! I'm sure many people who can afford it just don't care about such things.

I do think it's interesting how things have changed. One of my friend's great-grandmother used to fly to Paris 2x a year for her wardrobe. Her mother still has all the clothes - it's a lot of everyday clothes like suits but also a few gowns. I don't think it was financially on the same scale as today's couture though, as she was not super rich, but wealthy. What's amazing is that in the 40-50's she actually had consultations with people like Dior and Balenciaga themselves. My friend could care less, so I keep telling her Mom that I would love the collection should she ever tire of it!

27-01-2010
no tom ford, no thanks.

^it's so true. it's like making that argument about a country club or a private school. it isn't simply about the bottom line: if the wrong people get access, the right ones will flee.

trendsetter

Only trophy wives wear couture.
It is a glorified BURKA.
Real, productive, intelligent women steer clear of the stuff.
Hopefully women's aspirations will take to other venues.

V.I.P.

Um................................................ .

But satisfaction brought it back
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clients, couture, haute