How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-10-2011
Geometric Discharge

Fascinating article, btw.

12-10-2011
V.I.P.

^yes, but doesn't your quote mean: one gets the most expenisve dress and the others elegant and stylish?

Power to the 99%

OK, there's something wrong with this article It mentions repeatedly thousands of women in a room all wearing haute couture, and then specifically 4000 women wearing haute couture at a single event.

Are there really that many Middle Eastern customers of true haute couture? Or do they simply mean made to measure? Elie Saab for instance is not true haute couture, correct?

13-10-2011
V.I.P.

^ yeah i don't believe there's 4000 women actually wearing haute couture either. I mean I know they're filthy rich from their oil and other business ventures where people are literally handing over money for a small drop of fossil fuel, but even then that's such a high number. And given the information re: exclusitivity, the fashion houses combined cannot possibly come up with 4K looks altogether for one season.

13-10-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholybaby View Post
^^I shouldn't be so quick in judging them but by they way this article portrays them, they buy couture to show their social status and usually choose the flashiest and most embellished outfits. They don't buy it because they appreciate the craftsmanship and the timelessness of these clothes. Just because someone buys the most expensive clothes in the world it doesn't mean they have exquisite taste.
all of the above could apply to people in the West, or anywhere in the world who buy, say, RTW pieces. i wouldn't be suprised if an overwhelming number of even RTW customers only buy for the label.

and i'm pretty sure women in the west who buy couture do it to show their status too. you can buy beautifully custom made dresses for a lot less (though still a lot) than the prices the couture houses charge.

and when people dress for events, everyone hopes to look their best, to make good impressions, whether it be on 'future mother-in-laws', potential business partners, friends. different people just have different taste

13-10-2011
V.I.P.

^Of course there are women in the West who buy clothes simply because they are Gucci or Versace etc. But most of those who buy couture usually don't do it in such a superficial way. They do it because they want unique dresses that are made exactly to their measures and that are timeless. Even the richest of them wear haute couture outfits multiple times and yes they do it to impress but not with how much they paid for a gown but how beautiful they look in the dress.

Geometric Discharge

Okay let's do the maths according to the article: let's say they go to twenty weddings a year and five private functions a month, that's eighty couture dresses a year.
How much would you say the average couture dress would cost? £50,000? ($78,000?)
£50k x 80 = £4,000,000, maybe add another £500k if you're playing hostess..
£4,500,000/$7,000,000 a year on haute couture dresses - they're going to be making that much while they sleep!
And even if the dresses cost £100k each that's still only double that.
It's a drop in the ocean for multi-BILLIONaires.

13-10-2011
Power to the 99%

Haven't we seen it stated over and over that true haute couture customers number in the hundreds only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by franki View Post
all of the above could apply to people in the West, or anywhere in the world who buy, say, RTW pieces. i wouldn't be suprised if an overwhelming number of even RTW customers only buy for the label.

and i'm pretty sure women in the west who buy couture do it to show their status too. you can buy beautifully custom made dresses for a lot less (though still a lot) than the prices the couture houses charge.

and when people dress for events, everyone hopes to look their best, to make good impressions, whether it be on 'future mother-in-laws', potential business partners, friends. different people just have different taste
I think an overwhelming number are buying clothes because they have to wear something, and that something has no recognizable label at all.

As far as people who wear recognizable labels, I don't know, I guess probably the majority may be buying for the label.

Some are probably brand loyal because it's a shortcut to quality. One way to make your life easier is to shop a handful of department or specialty stores and boutiques, and doing that tends to also limit the labels/designers you're choosing from.

I buy based on personal style only, but I'm certainly excited to find something I love from one of my favorite designers.

Yes, buying couture is a status statement--a rarified one. But it's a serious commitment of money--the kind of money that could buy cars and serious jewelry. Many very wealthy people are famously tight-fisted. Women who 'invest' in couture tend to consider it art. I'm sure they also love the experience ... the fittings, personal attention, ability to customize, etc.

15-04-2012
fashion elite

Quote:
“I AM ALWAYS PUSHING MYSELF WITH EVERYTHING IN MY LIFE.”
–RICCARDO TISCI

GIVENCHY HAUTE COUTURE BY RICCARDO TISCI, 7:29 P.M., H‘TEL D’EVREUX
Riccardo Tisci can pinpoint his customer: “Givenchy clients today are queens, princesses, and baronesses who have left their horses and coaches and decided to be dynamic, energetic women who fly on private jets,” he smiles. “What does she want from me? Faithfulness, sincerity, and to always study something that is the best. And to celebrate the best angle of the body and personality.” That’s a hefty to-do list, but the Italian designer, who has been at the helm of Givenchy since 2005, seems to have checked every box. One extravagant piece from the edgy cou- ture collection found its way onto Hollywood red carpets within weeks of its debut, worn by Oscar-nominated actress Rooney Mara. “I was inspired by the movie Metropolis for its aesthetic and hardness, which was itself inspired by the music of the 1920s Russian movie Aelita, the origin of techno,” says the designer, who knows his way around a dance club and has forged friend- ships with several reigning R&B divas. “The second part of my inspiration for the collection is Berlin today at the Panorama club.”
vmagazine.com

15-04-2012
front row

Well, Karl Lagerfeld himself says that the main reason Haute Couture is still surviving is because the faithful clients can buy up to 30 pieces per collection. (Where he said this, I cannot remember, but it definitely stuck in my mind.) Sothe prospect of women getting 80 couture pieces a year isn't truly outlandish. Especially for people who have upwards of 700 mil. in their bank accounts. And the thing that MelancholyBaby brought up seems true. It sounds as if they are trying more to move up in their social circle than to appreciate the exquisite craftsmanship they are purchasing. At the Chanel flagship on Fifth, I went on the third floor (which seemed to be extremely empty, seeing as the first floor [bags] was packed) with my mother, and while we were looking around I overheard a sale with the client texting to someone (probably her husband) the details of the dress and reading aloud what she was writing. The thing that opened up my ears was the saleswoman saying "with embroidered Camellias" and the woman texting "embroidered chameleons." It opened my ears up because it seemed like she wasn't interested in the details of the beautiful dress she was buying, but that she was more interested in the 30,000$ pricetag. If you watch "The Secret World of Haute Couture" (which is available on youtube) you will learn a lot more about the clients in Haute Couture.

15-04-2012
Power to the 99%

^ Well, at least she knew the word 'chameleon'--wonder if she could spell it

15-04-2012
rising star

I read the whole thread at once. I have the feeling that I've reread the same article over and over again since 2008. Rich Russians and Arab princesses - yeah, I got it! It obvious to me that every year when hautre couture week is coming/present it's time for articles like that.

But I'm mostly impressed with the difference between HC now and then. Now I can anwer my questions why my mother/grandmother talks about "THE designer clothes". Now it's clear to me that back then there wasn't pret-a-porte and designer clothes had been only one type - haute couture. So today's HC is kind of something new, isn't it?

[Edit:] And something about billionaires coming to stores. As long as I know rich people, they just don't act in this way. It's all about connections. They just don't go to stores. They don't go to a dentist without some friend recommend the dentist and introduce you to him. I don't know if I'm right but that's my impression.

Last edited by Bonbonenata; 15-04-2012 at 07:11 PM.
19-04-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepetitcouturier View Post
The thing that opened up my ears was the saleswoman saying "with embroidered Camellias" and the woman texting "embroidered chameleons." It opened my ears up because it seemed like she wasn't interested in the details of the beautiful dress she was buying
Or she was using her Iphone and got auto corrected.

trendsetter

^ Hope so!

03-04-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidda View Post
Or she was using her Iphone and got auto corrected.
Oh no. She was typing as she said it.

Does anyone know if there are children (I don't mean 15 year olds, I mean 7 year olds) that wear couture? I'm not wondering if they're drenched in couture clothing but I'm just wondering if people ever buy their child a couture dress for something thats a big event on their part. Idk, I'm just curious. Lately I've been thinking about Eloise when her mother brought her that Dior dress for the ball, and I've just been curious. :p

(The people who would buy their child a dress that expensive definitely has more cents than sense.)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clients, couture, haute