How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
23-06-2012
  181
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 20


This is how Yves Saint Laurent started his RTW business, and behold the name is the same that Hedi wants to bring back today, but the only change that "Rive Gauche" is out and "Paris" is in.

  Reply With Quote
 
23-06-2012
  182
clever ain't wise
 
iluvjeisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,848
I guess the SLP isn't so bad. I still can't muster the idea of YSL/SLP in LA though...practical or not for HS.....it's still such blasphemy

  Reply With Quote
23-06-2012
  183
V.I.P.
 
KKnardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NYC
Gender: homme
Posts: 5,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by pohan View Post

This is how Yves Saint Laurent started his RTW business, and behold the name is the same that Hedi wants to bring back today, but the only change that "Rive Gauche" is out and "Paris" is in.
I agree with this, it's not a huge thing,... `i'm very excited to see his new collection...

__________________
KRISTOPHER KARPOWICZ RETOUCHINGvisit website visit blog
  Reply With Quote
23-06-2012
  184
fashion insider
 
TianSoFine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: a metropolis of dreams
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,424
To me, it seems a little dishonest to emphasize that it's in Paris when the designer is designing from LA.

__________________
*my twitter *my tumblr *my blog
  Reply With Quote
23-06-2012
  185
front row
 
Izreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Paris
Gender: homme
Posts: 238
about the name change, hedi did the same thing when he took over at dior, changing the name from Christian Dior, simply to Dior Homme. it's his way of wiping the slate clean and announcing a new era/direction is to follow. of course it ties in nicely with the early beginnings of the ysl house. i find it quite brilliant and a giant welcome as the letters YSL had started to become a little too mainstream dare i say tacky (probably thanks to the constant perfume advertising rather then stefano's work). i am however disappointed with him designing from LA, it just feels awkward and selfish although looking at his photo work from the last few years he seems a lot more inspired there then in europe which is i guess what ultimately matters (and for those hating on LA, there are a multitude of scenes there, and hedi's definitely feels coherent with his past, wether paris, london,berlin)

  Reply With Quote
24-06-2012
  186
V.I.P.
 
lemeray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,696
I feel indifferent to the name change, at the moment I just want to see his first collection for the house...everyone will soon forget about the name change anyways and become accustomed to it...

  Reply With Quote
24-06-2012
  187
V.I.P.
 
KKnardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NYC
Gender: homme
Posts: 5,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by TianSoFine View Post
To me, it seems a little dishonest to emphasize that it's in Paris when the designer is designing from LA.
The designer is not from LA, he's only based there and has his studio there. Who whouldn't want to work in fair-weather LA instead of gloomy rainy paris...?

__________________
KRISTOPHER KARPOWICZ RETOUCHINGvisit website visit blog
  Reply With Quote
24-06-2012
  188
fashion icon
 
Mutterlein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,406
Interesting that we can even have an exchange about designing in L.A vs. Paris in regards to a brand's authenticity.

  Reply With Quote
24-06-2012
  189
fashion icon
 
Mutterlein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterlein View Post
Interesting that we can even have an exchange about designing in L.A vs. Paris in regards to a brand's authenticity.
Also interesting to wonder if the collections Saint Laurent designed while away in Morocco are still valid as they were not designed in Paris?

  Reply With Quote
24-06-2012
  190
backstage pass
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LDN
Gender: homme
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterlein View Post
Also interesting to wonder if the collections Saint Laurent designed while away in Morocco are still valid as they were not designed in Paris?
i doubt that person is already questioning the validity of the new collections with the location change.

but why the addition of paris to the brand's name when you just moved the entire studio to LA? why not Saint Laurent LA, i for one love the sound of that.

do they even produce in paris?

  Reply With Quote
24-06-2012
  191
front row
 
Izreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Paris
Gender: homme
Posts: 238
^ in a way that would make sense, but i think ysl shareholders would have an attack... "paris" still means something very important in the world of fashion, it even used to be "rive gauche" which was making an even stronger statement. one has to also understand that although hedi is designing from LA, the maison and the atelier still remain in paris, and the fittings will still take place there as well. as unusual as it is, i'm not that surprised.. hedi is known for having his artistic phases often connected to particular cities, and he often stated in interviews he was tired of the paris scene not to mention his discomfort with dior corporate which made him retire from fashion in the first place. i presume being able to work from LA was the compromise YSL had to put up with to get hedi back into fashion.. anyways, anyone know when the mens SS13 presentation will take place?

  Reply With Quote
24-06-2012
  192
Ère de ℳodernité
 
Thefrenchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Paris.
Gender: homme
Posts: 11,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatouejeremie View Post
but why the addition of paris to the brand's name when you just moved the entire studio to LA? why not Saint Laurent LA, i for one love the sound of that.


Sure! And why not Laurent USA while we're at it?


__________________
> MY INSTAGRAM
  Reply With Quote
24-06-2012
  193
backstage pass
 
almudena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Paris
Gender: femme
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKnardi View Post
Who whouldn't want to work in fair-weather LA instead of gloomy rainy paris...?
You must be joking, right?
Would you?

  Reply With Quote
24-06-2012
  194
rising star
 
ogepma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Gender: homme
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izreal View Post
i find it quite brilliant and a giant welcome as the letters YSL had started to become a little too mainstream dare i say tacky
I don't understand this. If this is the case, Chanel, Dior, Giorgio Armani and Co should all change their names as they all offer perfumes and cosmetics with the same brand name and identity as their ready to wear lines. I do not think their brands are getting tacky because perfumes and beauty products carry their names.

As for Berge supporting this, I am not surprised because Slimane is a prodigy of his. My theory is that because Slimane is back at YSL, Berge will have a degree of "de facto" power within the house which he did not have during Ford and Pilati's tenure. I found the fact that he really dislikes Pilati very surprising especially since he was fond of him for the first 3-4 years of his time as CD. He even let him use the Berge-YSL foundation office for the S/S 2008 manifesto and attended a lot of his shows. Once YSL came back to the black after so many years, he disliked Pilati. Hmmm.

All in all, this looks like the brand will suffer an identity crisis. Keeping the YSL logo but calling it Saint Laurent Paris is very pointless. It's not like the brand has suffered any bad publicity recently like Dior and Galliano had! Yves Saint Laurent (YSL) is a national symbol of France and a household name. Since HC no longer exists, the best way this generation can remember him is by respecting his legacy and not toying with it because of money and publicity. If he wants to restructure the image of the house, its the clothes that he should work on; not the already perfect and elegant brand image it has!

YSL changed the rive gauche logo from what it was in the 60's to the HC one for a reason. It's best to leave it at that and focus on the clothes.

  Reply With Quote
24-06-2012
  195
trendsetter
 
thejarc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Berlin
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogepma View Post
I don't understand this. If this is the case, Chanel, Dior, Giorgio Armani and Co should all change their names as they all offer perfumes and cosmetics with the same brand name and identity as their ready to wear lines. I do not think their brands are getting tacky because perfumes and beauty products carry their names.

As for Berge supporting this, I am not surprised because Slimane is a prodigy of his. My theory is that because Slimane is back at YSL, Berge will have a degree of "de facto" power within the house which he did not have during Ford and Pilati's tenure. I found the fact that he really dislikes Pilati very surprising especially since he was fond of him for the first 3-4 years of his time as CD. He even let him use the Berge-YSL foundation office for the S/S 2008 manifesto and attended a lot of his shows. Once YSL came back to the black after so many years, he disliked Pilati. Hmmm.

All in all, this looks like the brand will suffer an identity crisis. Keeping the YSL logo but calling it Saint Laurent Paris is very pointless. It's not like the brand has suffered any bad publicity recently like Dior and Galliano had! Yves Saint Laurent (YSL) is a national symbol of France and a household name. Since HC no longer exists, the best way this generation can remember him is by respecting his legacy and not toying with it because of money and publicity. If he wants to restructure the image of the house, its the clothes that he should work on; not the already perfect and elegant brand image it has!

YSL changed the rive gauche logo from what it was in the 60's to the HC one for a reason. It's best to leave it at that and focus on the clothes.
I'd say that this is the opposite of an identity crisis and Saint Laurent personally chose Slimane to design the menswear in the 90s and Pierre Berge gave his blessing to the changes so it would be cool for everybody to just wait until the collections are out in order to judge. How you can you say he is destroying the brand when one of the brands founders likes the change?

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
creative, director, hedi, laurent, saint, slimane
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.