How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-07-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanelcouture09 View Post

I feel he's running before he can walk...

My thoughts exactly...

22-07-2012
front row

hedi's work for dior homme was often praised as couture quality. the craftsmanship on some of those garments was astonishing, particularly the embellishments. i remember examining the "love wound" shirt which was a hand beaded blood splatter and being amazed by the intricate details.

i think he'll do just fine!

22-07-2012
fashion insider

While I'm not thrilled with how Slimane is definitively stamping his own imprint on the House, I am looking forward to the rivalry between Raf Simons at Dior and Slimane at YSL which could yield rather exciting collections in Paris, almost like the KL and YSL rivalry revisited!

22-07-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydn View Post
hedi's work for dior homme was often praised as couture quality. the craftsmanship on some of those garments was astonishing, particularly the embellishments. i remember examining the "love wound" shirt which was a hand beaded blood splatter and being amazed by the intricate details.

i think he'll do just fine!
that's just a detail. doing couture is so much more than embellishment... I'm not saying he's not up for it but its a huge job. \\

some of the dior homme garments, as I remember them had poor quality.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKnardi View Post
that's just a detail. doing couture is so much more than embellishment... I'm not saying he's not up for it but its a huge job. \\

some of the dior homme garments, as I remember them had poor quality.
i'm sure he's not going to be producing the actual garments, rather just designing them, which i'm sure he's fully capable of.

in any case, couture back at ysl would be a step forward not just for the house, but for the world of couture in general.

25-07-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
@EdwardEnninful
Just spotted the new Saint Laurent Paris store #newday xoxo

fashion insider

I really am digging the new logo....I mean for me it still screams luxurious, even mysterious (obviously cause I have not seen the clothes....yet). Like Christian Dior, I hope this house gets cleansed first before going into new territory.

When in doubt, wear red.

I'm still not in favor of the changing the name. Mainly because Mr Saint-Laurent has now passed away, I feel like it's a kind of rejection of his legacy. But I do like the new logo. There's something very retro about it and couture of course, but that's obvious. However knowing Hedi, I'm sure the aesthetic will be much more modern than it seems.
Besides it's very common to say "Saint-Laurent" instead of "Yves Saint-Laurent", especially France. In english speaking countries people are more familiar with the full name because they tend to shorten it to "YSL". in France "Saint-Laurent" is the equivalent of "YSL".
Therefore, I don't think it will have a big impact on the general public, it's more a personal mattern for me and an issue for the ones who really care about fashion.

Last edited by Wolkfolk; 25-07-2012 at 12:45 PM.
25-07-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
While I'm not thrilled with how Slimane is definitively stamping his own imprint on the House, I am looking forward to the rivalry between Raf Simons at Dior and Slimane at YSL which could yield rather exciting collections in Paris, almost like the KL and YSL rivalry revisited!
It would also be quite juicy and rather fun!

Regarding the new logotype, the use of Helvetica bold is

It's a beautiful font but it is also the brainless, go-to for any graphic designer looking for an easy way to achieve "modern, clean, simple".
From a design perspective, I think it is a bit of a sin to replace the masterpiece that is A.M. Cassandre's YSL logo with this tumblr-esque one.

scenester

miss the old logo

backstage pass

Quote:
“opening soon” on Mercer Street in SoHo
intothegloss.com

26-07-2012
tfs star

I, for one, am happy they're replacing the original logo. For some reason, it always reminds me of the Young And The Restless logo..

(source: tvfanantic.com)

26-07-2012
windowshopping

uh? the original logo is the perfect trademark for the house and came from one of the greatest art deco artist out there, you can't just compare it with that young and restless logo...

Everything Hedi touches became helvetica, there's no surprise in it, so does with saint laurent paris logo. It's alright since he's not changing the YSL house logo as a whole

26-07-2012
fashion elite

Everything is looking so forced since Hedi went to YSL.

26-07-2012
.my prison is your brain.

Everything is being so over-analyzed since Hedi went to YSL. Although, he isn't helping the matter with all the gimmicky changes and PR releases.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
creative, director, hedi, laurent, saint, slimane