How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-10-2012
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetements View Post
Ps. I don't think he has the time to personally dictates who gets to sit front row and who doesn't, like what Horyn said in her article about the Le Monde editor...
Hmm... I don't know Hedi, but having worked with a number of designers who would be considered his peers, I'm fairly certain he at least took a look at the front row. Of course one can't be 100% sure. But... Everyone does. Some get more involved than others, but definitely everyone takes a glance at the show seating. If for no other reason than to know where their parents/siblings/friends are.

Edit to add: Someone who is this involved in the "image" of the house--that is, someone who changes the name and logo, who endeavours to create an "atmosphere" for the show, who envisions the show and the brand as more than the clothes walking down the runway on models--will recognize that the front row is an integral element in that process. The decision of including Pierre Bergé and Betty Cattroux (such clear nods to the house founder) reverberates in all the reviews and press that relate to the show. So it's all part of the strategy. If I were a gambling man, I'd say Hedi paid very close attention to where and how the show attendees were seated.

Last edited by Dann; 02-10-2012 at 01:03 PM.

02-10-2012
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izreal View Post
Some people seem to forget that he's been outside of fashion for 5 years, that this is his first ever women's collection and presentation for YSL nonetheless.
You have got to be kidding right?

front row

^ nope

02-10-2012
tfs star

^I meant that ironically. That is a preposterous excuse for someone who has been closely associated and affiliated with all things fashion the last 5 years from photography to art to magazines to editors and designers.

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotineacetat View Post
It's a pity to see someone like Hedi Slimane, who obviously had designed a few stellar collections towards the beginning of his career, water down his aesthetics to such an irrelevant, unfocussed, clichéd offering as this first collection for Saint Laurent. I was expecting a lot more rigor, editing and precision in his work, this falls flat with all the over-accessorisation and obvious vintage re-hashing. A brand like Saint Laurent needs a stronger 'message' and identity that distinguishes itself from other houses' identities, but as had already been pointed out; this look is already beaten to death by all of those designers nurtured under Emmanuelle Alt's eye. What a disappointment from a designer who used to have such a visionary voice of his own!
THIS IS THE BEST COMMENT WRITTEN ON TFS REGARDING THE YSL MEETS HEIDI COLLECTION, SO TRUE EVERY WORD... BUT ITS ALSO VERY SAD THAT WE ALL HAVE TO HAVE THIS SAD DISCUSSION, BECAUSE HEIDI IS / WAS REALLY ONE OF THE BIG ONES, I WAS HOPING THAT HE WOULD DO A HIT LIKE PHOEBE. I REALLY FEEL BAD FOR HIM, THIS WAS NOT HIM ON THE STAGE .....

02-10-2012
fashion icon

i don't know if this is the right thread to post it but this pic was posted an hour ago on hedi's official twitter.... not really classy

source: https://twitter.com/hedislimanetwit

Last edited by isa.b.elle.; 02-10-2012 at 03:17 PM.
02-10-2012
V.I.P.

I just read that- and wish all of the rumors that surfaced about his immature/narcissistic attitude had stayed as rumors only. If I had any respect for his work, it has dropped down to zero today. Besides the insults that just project how low he's willing to go when his 'craft' is criticised by people he feels, don't own enough credentials to, what?, "understand" his art?, it also shows what a gentleman he is, by obviously stretching out her gender and the established expectations (such as being editorial-ready when your job is writing).

I knew the impression on his vapid photography and trendy work at Dior wasn't completely unfounded.

V.I.P.

He needs a large dose of humble and a lot less ego.
What's funny is why do people keep making a big deal of what he says/did, he has been like this his whole career, I am not surprised by anything he says/did anymore.

fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentalicious View Post
He needs a large dose of humble and a lot less ego.
What's funny is why do people keep making a big deal of what he says/did, he has been like this his whole career, I am not surprised by anything he says/did anymore.
agree. honestly for someone who is known for being so private and reticent to speak and do interview, he has definitely lost an opportunity to shut up

02-10-2012
she's got the look

What an awful start... That was completely rude from him. I honestly don't know much about him as a designer (never been interested), only as a photographer.

tfs star

^^^OMG this is promising to be the fashion scandal of the season. Why would anybody go to that depth and show that much insecurity by making vile insults en plein public? Is this for real? Has this been confirmed?

fashion icon

^it was posted on his official twitter more than an hour ago..so it seems legit

02-10-2012
front row

Grow up, Hedi.

It's the emperor's new clothes and poor baby is just upset someone saw right through him.

Last edited by Uemarasan; 02-10-2012 at 04:04 PM.
02-10-2012
V.I.P.

Oh my. I really love Hedi as a designer, as a photographer and I really enjoyed this collection, but that "letter" is beyond childish and embarrassing. Just... shut up.

barcode

WOW. Just, wow.

I'm not exactly sure who Slimane thinks he is or what he thinks he's achieved with this or any other collection he's ever designed, but even by fashion standards, even compared to any industry FULL of egos, the response to Horyn seems beyond extreme, almost to the point of caricature but not at all funny in the end. Coupled with the info provided by BoF it paints a very, very negative picture.

And not for anything, it's no wonder Berge loves Slimane like he's his own child. That letter sounds like it could have been written by Pierre.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
creative, director, hedi, laurent, saint, slimane