How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-07-2007
The future is stupid

Hedi Slimane : Life after Dior Homme
Source: WWD July 16, 2007

Quote:
HEDI'S HEADLINES: For the first time in its 10-year history, Wallpaper is inviting outsiders to edit the magazine. Hedi Slimane, Jeff Koons and Dieter Rams will be the three guest editors of Wallpaper's October issue. Each is designing his own cover for the London title, and each has been given his own 20-page section, said publishing director Andrew Black. In the Slimane segment, there's an interview with the designer by German artist Thomas Demand, and 10 collectible, poster-size photographs shot by Slimane. The photos are very personal ones, said Black: There are fashion shots, details from everyday life and abstract images. Slimane has been hands-on, in touch with the magazine's staff every day. "We're an eclectic title with so many disciplines of design — we decided to have three guest editors instead of one," said Black. He said the editors chose Slimane because "he's someone we've admired for a long time." And also, no doubt, a designer with some extra time on his hands since leaving Dior Homme. Samantha Conti

16-07-2007
V.I.P.

Yes! This is perfect. Wallpaper is a great magazine, and Hedi can do a great job on this!

16-07-2007
V.I.P.

i miss Hedi

16-07-2007
rising star

Wow, what a line up...i can't wait to get this issue.

16-07-2007
DÔMMkammern

"life after dior homme" sounds so sad... i guess just because we've waited A LOT to see tom ford's life after gucci and i dont wanna wait just as much to see hedi back!

slow death

well previously i read slimane did a recorded conversation with thomas demand and peter saville (!!!!!!) that was meant to be printed... not sure if it will be in the magazine or it's own book.

17-07-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedolphin View Post
i miss Hedi
Same here. I will miss his jeans and seriously hope that we will continue with his designs under his own name.

tfs star

Excited.

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy View Post
Same here. I will miss his jeans and seriously hope that we will continue with his designs under his own name.
not intending to offend you on that, but if he was to be remembered basically for his jeans and casual clothing, he should not be making a comeback too soon. it would be painful to see him re-launching menswear with basically the same oeuvre as at dior homme. i think the customer is somewhat over-saturated with safari jackets, army-inspired trainers and 19cm jeans.

to prove himself as a true visionairy would mean that he finds a new vocabulary for his menswear.

back on topic though; i am looking forward buying this issue then - it sounds like a very exciting line up!

17-07-2007
fashion icon

wow...this sounds like a very good issue!!!
with hedi and jeff koons. thought i dont know the other guest

17-07-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotineacetat View Post
not intending to offend you on that, but if he was to be remembered basically for his jeans and casual clothing, he should not be making a comeback too soon. it would be painful to see him re-launching menswear with basically the same oeuvre as at dior homme. i think the customer is somewhat over-saturated with safari jackets, army-inspired trainers and 19cm jeans.

to prove himself as a true visionairy would mean that he finds a new vocabulary for his menswear.

back on topic though; i am looking forward buying this issue then - it sounds like a very exciting line up!
I second your wise words. I'm more than fed up with Hedi Slimane (he's everywhere , I'm happy that thanks to KVA, DH's poor items will stop springing up everywhere) but last day I took a look at Red's pictures, and I realized that something is really missing in fashion nowadays. I remembered those days when the DH show was the most exciting thing of the season. When it was still something quite intimate, yet not obscure or elitist. There's definitely a lack that someone must fix.

I hope he'll be back on the design business, not on his pseudo-art made of curtains' pictures or Pete Doherty related expositions

front row

i am actually curious about everyone's opinions on designer doing cameo editorship for magazines; how good has it turned out for instance?

i personally liked the margiela and yamamoto version of A magazine but didnt quite like the martine sitbon ones.

i personally thought that stephen gan's visionaire (hope it hasnt gone defunct) was very good actually, so is there still a real need for such other collaborations (minus the price factor that is)?

18-07-2007
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by belletrist View Post
I second your wise words. I'm more than fed up with Hedi Slimane (he's everywhere , I'm happy that thanks to KVA, DH's poor items will stop springing up everywhere) but last day I took a look at Red's pictures, and I realized that something is really missing in fashion nowadays. I remembered those days when the DH show was the most exciting thing of the season. When it was still something quite intimate, yet not obscure or elitist. There's definitely a lack that someone must fix.

I hope he'll be back on the design business, not on his pseudo-art made of curtains' pictures or Pete Doherty related expositions
I must honestly admit, though, that his photography has gotten a little bit better over the years. I don't really care for his concert/artist shots which I always found would be just an extension tool to put the clothing in the right context, but the more abstract lansdscape/object photography and some of the portraits do possess a kinda morbid romance.

18-07-2007
trendsetter

Aesthetics are not shed so easily except by the public & critics.
He created a very particular one that has been widely copied especially by his protégés. Such is the curse of success. There's no need to dismiss him so easily. Tom Ford came back without altering his vision but has simply evolved.

V.I.P.

Wallpaper and Hedi. I want that issue!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dior, hedi, homme, life, slimane