Hedi Slimane Is The New Artistic Director Of Céline - Page 4 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
21-01-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistress_f View Post
this is what people were saying before SL... And what he delivered was his usual teeange thrift store aesthetic and lots of money from fashion victims.
I don't see how SL clientele were fashion victims? That's the Vetements/ Gucci lane. Hedi's clothes were very simple (maybe too simple for some), they were all very well made and there was something for everyone.

we are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams. wandering by lone sea breakers and sitting by desolate streams. world losers and world forsakers, on whom the pale moon gleams. yet we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever it seems
21-01-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveDiorHomme View Post
People forget how good his Dior Homme years were... He completely changed menswear...and if guys wear skinny jeans today it's sill because of him haha.
Nobody forget it. Hedi is a genius. He has a vision, he can deliver a show and what he does is always slick.
He is a wonderful menswear designer. A lot tried but nobody can do what he does the way he does. BUT he is an awful womenswear designer and that's my concern.

Of course his clothes are well made but i'm sorry: this is exactly what i expect from any luxury fashion house. Add to that, given the simplicity of his clothes and the obvious lack of imagination or fantasy in his clothes.

I will be the number supporter of Hedi when he will decide to design womenswear. And, i've said design.

21-01-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
Believe me, if Alber wanted to work, i think it would have been done already. It's not like he is hiding...
Agreed ... his status is 100% voluntary. Fashion may be suffering for it, but he's not ready ... I just hope at some point he will be.

I never wore Celine, and I take this as bad news ... if I had a personal stake in it, you would be seeing a meltdown

21-01-2018
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlabe32 View Post
I couldn't care less. I'm talking about the clothes here.

The fact that he remains in LA makes things only worse. I don't expect him to find any source of inspiration there.

same... I'm disappointed and sad more than anything. Céline by Phoebe was (is) the only brand that keeps me excited about fashion.. and I'm a designer..

21-01-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDNA View Post
At least he’s not joining Chanel.
so true

21-01-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dalloway View Post
It's the reason I find it strange he is not at a big house already. He is not hiding, but there have been no rumors about him being a contender for any maajor job, either, right? If it is, indeed, his own choice, then more power to him, and I hope he comes back when he feels ready.
Dior approached him, right? I'd call that a major job, but he's been vocal about not being ready. Remember he said he couldn't even sketch, and I think that was a year out from the Lanvin break ... plus he's said he wants to work in a different way and (paraphrasing) not work with unpleasant people.

21-01-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
Nobody forget it. Hedi is a genius. He has a vision, he can deliver a show and what he does is always slick.
He is a wonderful menswear designer. A lot tried but nobody can do what he does the way he does. BUT he is an awful womenswear designer and that's my concern.

Of course his clothes are well made but i'm sorry: this is exactly what i expect from any luxury fashion house. Add to that, given the simplicity of his clothes and the obvious lack of imagination or fantasy in his clothes.

I will be the number supporter of Hedi when he will decide to design womenswear. And, i've said design.
Agreed. I recall women buying Dior Homme back in the days.
But what he designed for YSL women was LA trashy. Sorry for the harsh words but most clothes just look like high end prostitute outfits.
Somehow they did sell very well!

Will be interested in his new venture at Celine. I have a feeling that it will be either hit or miss.

21-01-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc10 View Post
I don't see how SL clientele were fashion victims? That's the Vetements/ Gucci lane. Hedi's clothes were very simple (maybe too simple for some), they were all very well made and there was something for everyone.
The bulk of the RTW sales as I understand it were not the (IMO) trashy looks on the runway, but Dior Homme-style tailoring, which he's actually good at ...

21-01-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
Dior approached him, right? I'd call that a major job, but he's been vocal about not being ready. Remember he said he couldn't even sketch, and I think that was a year out from the Lanvin break ... plus he's said he wants to work in a different way and (paraphrasing) not work with unpleasant people.
Above all, he seems to be very fragile or very sensitive. I mean, he still talking about being fired by Tom Ford in 2000...18 years ago!

So i believe that being in such an environment that was Lanvin where he was close with the owner and had a real pleasure to work to finally be fired and having a lot of issues, was difficult to handle.

I feel like he is going to comeback when he will be ready and above all, when and where he will feel safe and protected.

The problem in the fashion industry is that most of the time, designers have to deal with people who a running a business without coming from that business. The designer is the only person that knows what people want, will want or don't want. The business mind's job is to make sure that everything is in place in order to make the voice of the designer heard. Unfortunately today, a lot of executives thinks that they knows what should be done...

21-01-2018
backstage pass

This is probably the most exciting news in a long while, esp with the lacklustre new designers’ showings at Lanvin, Givenchy, Saint Laurent etc.

I am however pretty sure hedi won’t be sending out rock and roll aesthetics, his pride wouldn’t let him? I do believe he has grown with his tenure at saint laurent. And I do prefer what he did there than vacarello now.

So excited with anticipation for his new looks, and like someone said, the meltdown this site is going to get from the hedi haters hahaha

21-01-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetements View Post
This is probably the most exciting news in a long while, esp with the lacklustre new designers’ showings at Lanvin, Givenchy, Saint Laurent etc.

I am however pretty sure hedi won’t be sending out rock and roll aesthetics, his pride wouldn’t let him? I do believe he has grown with his tenure at saint laurent. And I do prefer what he did there than vacarello now.

So excited with anticipation for his new looks, and like someone said, the meltdown this site is going to get from the hedi haters hahaha
Fingers crossed...
But for menswear i think it's great. He could actually elevate it. Because i'm seriously tired to see Hedi's copies on the runway. Amiri or whatever is literally a copycat brand of Slimane. So if he can force some people to be original on their own by doing his rock thing FOR MEN, ok!

21-01-2018
V.I.P.

what a way to sink the brand... he's the least qualified person to take over Phoebe, who seems to understand women's dressing infinitely more than any other women and men in her range of commercial fashion.. Hedi's girls only exist for the purpose of embellishing the blond/modelesque rockstar his suburban French self is still so obsessed with, they have no other mission and they dress accordingly.. he has no proved experience or an idea of how to design for women. To say he has grown as a designer after SL? grown how? his last collections were still slip dresses and don't even get me started on the last one, which was EXACTLY what I'm talking about.. pointless women in fugly getups they can't move in and that seem made for waiting outside the backstage area like the ultimate aspiration.

his fanbase is mostly dudes so I will not be surprised to read the seasonal "okay, BUT THE CUT!".

That being said.. it's true it's hard to gather inspiration in LA.. when you have 10 minutes of sun per month in the winter and odious people on the streets, you'd be stupid not to extract or just come up with one interesting thought locked up in your studio or in the second best place (a museum). He should move back..

21-01-2018
V.I.P.

That's another brand I'm no longer interested in.

21-01-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
what a way to sink the brand... he's the least qualified person to take over Phoebe, who seems to understand women's dressing infinitely more than any other women and men in her range of commercial fashion.. Hedi's girls ...
That's my biggest issue here, Celine remained one of the last fashion houses that still aimed their market at WOMEN and not teenagers. For that reason, Hedi Slimane, who has made a living selling a teenager aesthetic since his Dior Homme days seems like the worst possible choice here. Another brand sells it's soul to the Instagram age. Oh well.

21-01-2018
backstage pass

Chanel is really commercial, always the same, uncreative clothes, everything is about the Setting and a brand Teenagers love, so I think Hedi would have been a better choice for Chanel than for Céline, where its actually about the clothes.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
add, artistic, celine, director, hedi, joins, men’s, slimane, wear