Hedi Slimane Is The New Artistic Director Of Céline - Page 5 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
21-01-2018
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanclaude View Post
From a positive point of view for Zara and H&M "design" departments this is such huge great news!! It´s easier copying Slimane than Phoebe´s work!
They actually won’t need to, they just need to search the archives. Half the clothes of his “grunge” collection came straight from 90’s Zara. That’s a twist i never saw coming.😄

21-01-2018
front row

I was convinced that all the time He's been supposedly working on a brand new Menswear line was Chanel pour Homme so It's quite surprising how this turned out...

I certainly acknowledge Phoebe's contribution to the brand and everything She did there but You have to keep in mind that Céline is a blank space and anyone can come in and start anew; Actually, the fact that Hedi went for this instead of Dior or Givenchy sounds like He (sort of) wanted his own line but without his name on it. Hopefully He'll go back to his roots and this become a personal project like Dior homme in the beginning.

21-01-2018
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
They actually won’t need to, they just need to search the archives. Half the clothes of his “grunge” collection came straight from 90’s Zara. That’s a twist i never saw coming.😄
Yes, of course all they need is to add the "new" ornaments of the season to the archival patterns...et voilà Céline by Slimane!

21-01-2018
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by george5 View Post
I was convinced that all the time He's been supposedly working on a brand new Menswear line was Chanel pour Homme so It's quite surprising how this turned out...
Karl has said many times that he has life-long contracts with Chanel & Fendi. I guess people believes him now.
Chanel doesn't need a proper, big menswear line.

21-01-2018
backstage pass

I guess he will show the same grunge thing under the Celine name. I don’t expect anything remotely interesting coming from Hedi.

21-01-2018
front row

I think both Slimane and Arnault desire to create a new Couture legacy.....

Arnault tried with Lacroix and it was a failure. He still has that challenge to tick off on his wish list. Slimane is the right man for this.

21-01-2018
fashion insider

What a great twist here. Now I wonder where Jacquemus will be at.

On one hand, I really don't like his work at YSL. Of course, I can appreciate his abity to reinvent the house financially and relevancy. It was very well-made, some couture pieces were really wonderful and womenswear was great. Especially the LA collection. However, I'm both scared and excited of what he would bring to the table at Celine. He's given a free rein here with more product line to play with. It's basically a Hedi brand under Celine name. Even at YSL, the cosmetics is still owned by L'Oreal. But the perfume will be created in house so it's very exciting.

I think Pheobe has created a multi-dimensional Celine women. I got to say that not only she can do magic with clothes but the accessories are fabulous. The Celine women is very unique and distinctive. I think that would be a challenge for put this voice in to it because I really don't think people who buy Celine clothes are the same people who buy his Saint Laurent clothes. But I might be wrong, but if Sidney wants to double the figure, he would need both to maintain Celine cult and his own following.

21-01-2018
V.I.P.

Wow, what a shock! And not in a good way at all. Yet another gem for him to pollute! I hated what he did at SLP with that LA rocker thing, and Dior Homme, so for me the idea that he's adding menswear to Céline is blasphemous! And since contemporary consumers won't have any idea what Celine menswear actually stands for it gives him more reason for him to pull ideas from a hat.

He'll have to move to Paris for this job, surely. Too much at stake.

21-01-2018
V.I.P.

Why he was chosen to succeed Phoebe is truly beyond me. He should stick to B&W photography of celebs and hip LA people or launch his namesake label instead of ruining another iconic French brand.

21-01-2018
fashion icon

Better than Jacquemus. I feel like Hedi will take Celine into a very adult direction. He can’t do the same thing he did at YSL. The menswear will be red hot. That was a very smart move for LVMH.

windowshopping

I am so glad and excited about these news. At least Hedi is back in fashion and his talent will not be wasted in time. Furthermore, I am very pleased that he is back particularly at LVMH Group, which is known for its distinctive artistic touch and level of quality. Since LVMH Group has brands like Dior I am happy that at Celine he will be able to kick ar**s of designers I hate like Kris Van Assche and Maria Grazia Chiuri because I have no doubt Bernard Arnault will compare their performace...

There is still nothing better than his Dior Homme for me personally. I did not like his Saint Laurent as much because I do not like Saint Laurent's DNA altogether. Nevertheless, I think he did not do bad at Saint Laurent too. Maybe not as good as at Dior Homme but still...

I know nothing about Celine so I am really curious what lies ahead. I read Celine does not have much of archives and history so he will probably have more opportunities to come up with something his own, it will be easier to make changes and set a direction. In addition, I think that Celine is relatively unknown and not too overhyped brand yet. Consequently, we can expect his first collections to be smaller scale production, higher quality and for more reasonable prices than, for example, Dior or Saint Laurent? Is not Celine something more of a niche and less commercial fashion house that as part of LVMH Group could still have access to higher quality production and materials because of LVMH Group's bargaining power to suppliers?

Anyway, I am glad he is not at Chanel. I hate Chanel, which became successful largely because of feminist movement and Gabrielle's pragmatic affairs with men and which lacks true feminine beauty, and which popularised cheap costume jewellery, suntan and other working class attributes. I think Chanel so overhyped and Chanel is definitely not for him too. Especially after Dior, which stands for totally opposite...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
Hedi is obviously very ambitious so i wonder why they didn't offered him the Dior job. I find it so weird to have KVA and Hedi Slimane in the same group...
Because Hedi would hardly help to sell Dior any better. Dior already sells well. You can appoint at Dior almost anyone today and it will still sell well just because is it a famous brand. Berard Arnault wants to maximise revenues within the group. That is why he appoints a strong star designer like Hedi to a weak brand like Celine. Furthermore, it is good for Berard Arnault to have such strong star designer like Hedi in backup within the group so if Maria Grazia Chiuri's or Kris Van Assche flops after flops will suddenly start to kill revenues of Dior, then Berard Arnault will be able to quickly move Hedi to sort out the situation. At least I think Berard Arnault hopes so. Berard Arnault is probably also afraid of having a designer like Hedi in competing fashion house that does not belong to him. Maybe he already feels the coming death of Dior. Remember how John Galliano was only for several collections at Givenchy until he suddenly was moved to Dior?

Last edited by Aurimas; 21-01-2018 at 06:38 PM.
21-01-2018
scenester

Just wow at the post above this. You can't say mention Céline and then comment it as being "weak", "relatively unknown" and "not too overhyped". As shocking as this appointment of Hedi.

21-01-2018
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by rqfsimons View Post
Just wow at the post above this. You can't say mention Céline and then comment it as being "weak", "relatively unknown" and "not too overhyped". As shocking as this appointment of Hedi.
Maybe because I am male.

Last edited by Aurimas; 21-01-2018 at 07:09 PM.
21-01-2018
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola701 View Post
Karl has said many times that he has life-long contracts with Chanel & Fendi. I guess people believes him now.
Chanel doesn't need a proper, big menswear line.
i think people totally believe his life-time contracts, i am just really worried how the life-long will last.....my grandma can't even walk properly at this age, it's amazing he can still handle so much work. but for how long? i feel every show may be his last and just kind sad

21-01-2018
army of lovers

To go from YSL to Celine? That's sort of a downgrade in my opinion. Why doesn't he just start his own youth driven, jailbait house?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
add, artistic, celine, director, hedi, joins, men’s, slimane, wear