How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-04-2012
V.I.P.

Helmut - Helmut Lang Diffusion Label
Those of us who have always lovedHelmut Lang's soft, drapey jersey but can't bring ourselves to pay $500 for a cotton dress — rejoice! The label just sent out a press release announcing their new diffusion line, HELMUT, which hits stores in May and will continue from season to season. The collection will consist of the label's most popular silhouettes (like those wispy layered maxi skirts, asymmetrical tanks, roomy tees, and leggings), all rendered in machine-washable cotton jersey and ranging in price from $95 to $210. nymag.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (27.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (12.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (33.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (13.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (19.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (28.3 KB, 6 views)

24-04-2012
V.I.P.

That's great news: I would like those comfy-looking black trousers and the wispy grey cardi right now!

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
24-04-2012
girl who fell to earth

i think i can find actual helmut lang for cheaper at tjmaxx :p

still, i think these diffusion brands must make a lot of money so it's probably a good move for them

kind of reminds me of T by Alexander Wang actually.

25-04-2012
V.I.P.

^I agree with you. I can't think of an outlet store that doesn't stock Helmut Lang at up to 90% off, you can literally get their collections for a lower price everywhere.
The main line already reminds me a lot of T by Alexander Wang, I kind of don't see why an even more basic line is needed. For some reason I always assumed (the new) Helmut Lang was mainly popular for the leather jackets and leggings, wouldn't have thought the basic stuff was popular enough for it to warrant a diffusion line with more of the same stuff.

25-04-2012
flaunt the imperfection

my guess is that this is in response to price resistance from consumers to their mainline.
the fact that you can find it discounted everywhere is telling...
makes sense that they would cut their losses and just sell cheaper stuff in the first place, rather than take the markdowns...

i'm still not buying it though...:p

25-04-2012
V.I.P.

I guess, too, one can get very similar looks at All Saints.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
25-04-2012
Stitch:the Hand

i have a suggestion to Theory owners....how about actually getting in real designers instead of mere jeanswear people whose only claim to fame is jersey? perhaps if they actually introduced a bit more variation in actual design instead of pieces masquerading as a design,they might actually make money again. but reality is,no one will pay exorbitant designer mainline prices for jersey....something you can so easily acquire at mass market.

25-04-2012
backstage pass

Are the Habitual couple still the designers for this version of HELMUT LANG?

I really wonder who their customer is? There are only so many customers who are willing to pay designer prices for what are essentially high street designs. Alexander Wang comes to mind on this point-- but Wang has the advantages of incredible industry-hype and strong branding on his side, somethings the new HL label is completely lacking. It's definitely not the original Lang customer as the label is nothing more than just another brand doing trendy drapey cuts with no resemblance or reference to the Helmut Lang that was a genuine force in fashion. The times they actually reference Helmut, it all looks so awkward-- like a 1st-year design student's project, or really poor knock-offs.

I've accepted that this label is an entirely different brand than the original Helmut, but as you've pointed out Scott, not only are the quality of these designs common for the price line, but as Not Plain Jane stated, the same designs can be acquired from high street labels like All Saints and the like. The leather jackets are probably their strongest offerings, but even at their best, they're Rock Owens knockoffs.

It's very disappointing to see such a visionary label come to... this.

25-04-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phuel View Post
Are the Habitual couple still the designers for this version of HELMUT LANG?

I really wonder who their customer is? There are only so many customers who are willing to pay designer prices for what are essentially high street designs. Alexander Wang comes to mind on this point-- but Wang has the advantages of incredible industry-hype and strong branding on his side, somethings the new HL label is completely lacking. It's definitely not the original Lang customer as the label is nothing more than just another brand doing trendy drapey cuts with no resemblance or reference to the Helmut Lang that was a genuine force in fashion. The times they actually reference Helmut, it all looks so awkward-- like a 1st-year design student's project, or really poor knock-offs.

I've accepted that this label is an entirely different brand than the original Helmut, but as you've pointed out Scott, not only are the quality of these designs common for the price line, but as Not Plain Jane stated, the same designs can be acquired from high street labels like All Saints and the like. The leather jackets are probably their strongest offerings, but even at their best, they're Rock Owens knockoffs.

It's very disappointing to see such a visionary label come to... this.
Agree with you all of the way, WTH happened to this label..?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
diffusion, helmut, label, lang