How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-03-2011
unspecified

THIS IS AMAZING
I'm kind of sad if I think that maybe he had to change the path he was following, in order to avoid bankruptcy, because all this greatness was always there, but in a very subtle tone. Although, now the subtle part is that there are little theatrics, so he can focuse it in the clothes, and give us this pattern playful joy, wich I enjoy the most.
That sweater is marvelous, love everything that is sleeve-related and the neckline detail in a couple of coats that rethinks the scarf/tie. Just Genious.

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style

03-03-2011
V.I.P.

Incredibly done oversizing
Totally love the shapes of all the pieces!

03-03-2011
.my prison is your brain.

Swooning! This is modern minimalism at its finest. I love the way this was styled, the low-cut blazers with nothing underneath are accentuated against the high turtlenecks. This collection seems a study in contrasts -- light against dark, sleek against oversized, structured versus flowing pieces. It's sexy as can be.

03-03-2011
old-fashioned

completely in love
this is so good. the cuts, seriously, the cuts! there's something really fascinating about perfectly done tailored clothes. it's something that just feels so good to look at, and might be even better to try on.
great to see such a good collection from chalayan again.

trendsetter

How exciting to see him back doing what he does so well! Gorgeous!

THANKS for posting!

03-03-2011
Fat Karl

Absolutely wondrous. And the video is gorgeous as well. And I love that it's a very specific extension of last season's collection. Where Spring/Summer 2011 was about the closed off period in Japanese history, this is about the opening up of that culture to the world. So fascinating.

windowshopping

Fantastic! Beautiful mix of well tailored architectural pieces and soft flowing drapery. The silhouettes are amazing, so bold and strong, and the printed pieces looks to be the shadows cast by blinds closed over a window? Exactly the type of collection to post on my blog hah

03-03-2011
flaunt the imperfection

^^^darling...
i imagine everyone/anyone who has even the remotest sense of taste will be posting it on their blog...
:p
and every editor will be shooting it in every magazine as well...
notice...
not one bad review in the bunch!...
i am literally obsessed with it!

i keep telling everyone who will listen how amazing it is...
and i keep coming back to the thread...
i am seriously dreaming about that ivory sleeveless top...

Last edited by softgrey; 03-03-2011 at 11:56 AM.
03-03-2011
unspecified

I guess if I could have some of those in my hands, I WOULD cry. I've never felt so cliched in my life!

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style
03-03-2011
V.I.P.

amazing. he never make me dissappointed. who is that model anyway?

03-03-2011

No model talk allowed, so I'll message you

03-03-2011
backstage pass

soo was this a presentation with the same model again and again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmydays View Post
soo was this a presentation with the same model again and again?
Ha, no, it was a film presentation this year that he played in his showroom.

03-03-2011
tFS STAFF

Front page on tFS today: Hussein Chalayan Fall 2011 Runway Review

03-03-2011
old-fashioned

from style.com
Quote:
PARIS, March 1, 2011
By Tim Blanks

Spring was called Sakoku, or "closed country," referring to Japan's deliberate policy of cultural isolation. For Fall, Hussein Chalayan titled his collection Kaikoku, meaning "open country," a reference to the way Japan was compelled to open up to the world in the traumatic aftermath of World War II. Phew! That's context.

Chalayan himself insisted he was shying away from anything literal. He was more inspired by the notion of a place—once isolated, now exposed—where new ideas could be explored, where wildly diverse elements could manifest in peculiar ways. That place sounds a lot like his own near 20-year career in fashion, which he has been tapping into more and more. Wise move—the world missed out on those Chalayan genius moments from the late nineties and early naughties. There is also no time like the present to be reminded that fashion's most cerebral designer has always been absorbed by the body. You could feel that obsession in the fluid lines of the tops and dresses that had scarves flowing from their lapels, or in the sinuous asymmetric bias-cut pieces.

Despite the designer's protestations to the contrary, the Japanese connection was inescapable. And explicable, because the rigorous thinking that goes into every Chalayan collection is something he instinctively shares with Japanese culture. Here, he was utterly mesmerized by Japanese form: the kimonolike sleeves and wraps, the delicate dévoré texture used on a coat and jacket, the oversize man-tailoring, even the robot dress that acted as the finale of the film that Chalayan directed in lieu of a show. And, not least, the model he chose for that film. She had the huge eyes, bud mouth, and flowing hair of a manga heroine made flesh. Plus, there was an abstracted photographic print the designer visualized as the view through a Japanese window of an American bomber.

The evocation of a moment of violent transition in a country's history crystallized an enduring frustration for Chalayan's rah-rah club in the fashion industry. There is absolutely no doubt that he is driven by an intense passion for his work. He has extraordinary ideas—and the all-consuming drive to realize them. That robot dress, for instance, which unleashed spring-loaded crystals intended to convey the idea of pollen exploding into the air. Gaga will go gaga, and the world will hear Chalayan's name one more time. But he is so much more than a gimmick, and this collection is, unfortunately, not the one to let the world know that.
i didn't think this collection was gimmicky at all
and i hate how he said "gaga will go gaga", i really don't see lady gaga in any of this.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, chalayan, f or w, hussein, paris