How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-03-2011
Stitch:the Hand

^i hated that gaga comment too. it's just so patronising and offensive. like we're all puppets that need to be led. chalayan has been around a lot longer than that and some of us have been on this journey with him so we know what he does and what he's capable of. it's irrelevant. the collection is not even that flamboyant anyway,so i too,do not understand the correlation,anyway.

as far as gimmicks,has tim followed his previous collections at all? this is chalayan of the old days....authentic and pure.

03-03-2011
God Save McQueen

this is a really beautiful collection. to be honest though, i am a little torn about this. I miss the days when Chalayan's presentations were more than just beautifully made clothes. They were artistic and political statements. I guess that doesn't sell too well, but some of his older shows were magic. His living room converting into clothing collection was one of the shows that got me into fashion.

04-03-2011
tfs star

i hate to use the word sophisticated but that word kind of sums up how i feel about this collection.

fashion icon

really really good !!! shadows prints are more than great !!!!!!!

04-03-2011
vertebrae by vertebrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
^i hated that gaga comment too. it's just so patronising and offensive. like we're all puppets that need to be led. chalayan has been around a lot longer than that and some of us have been on this journey with him so we know what he does and what he's capable of. it's irrelevant. the collection is not even that flamboyant anyway,so i too,do not understand the correlation,anyway.

as far as gimmicks,has tim followed his previous collections at all? this is chalayan of the old days....authentic and pure.
seriously... Blanks is talking out of his a$$ there. this is one of the most stripped-down showcases of Chalayan's pure finesse and ingenuity.. totally devoid of anything that could be considered a gimmick. I wondered if he was looking at the same collection as we are

04-03-2011
tfs star

i hate to use the word sophisticated but that word kind of sums up how i feel about this collection.

V.I.P.

I don't understand that review by Tim Blanks, I always find him so sensitive and knowledgeable on what he writes and the way he understands collections.. I certainly don't find this particular collection as devastatingly amazing as some have, perhaps because I have a specific way of seeing Chalayan and this doesn't quite fulfill that notion, but Gaga + gimmicks, really?, did he overlook Chalayan's experiments in 2007?, he's been doing this for years, Tim knows that better than anyone.. so bizarre that he'd write something like that after his years of experience and witnessing Hussein's development as a creator, I can only conclude they probably don't get along too well.

fashion insider

I still don't get this brand's aesthetic. Influenced by a different designer every season or what?
I'm going to be a combo breaker here and say that I find this collection to be a bit average in every sense.

V.I.P.

Love that window airplane print! It is fantastic. Also, the jackets/blazers are so severe and striking; I'll bet they'd look great in motion. The dry ice in the presentation just reminds me of 80s dance clubs. Lol.

05-03-2011
Stitch:the Hand

mullet,that's exactly how i felt too. i've long been a fan of tim blanks...in fact it was he who introduced me to fashion,so i've always trusted his synopsis. it's disappointing that he would resort to this kind of pandering review. indeed,he knows chalayan and has followed him long enough to know what the man is brilliant at. you're deduction could be right though---it seems too odd.

as far as the conceptual aspects....certainly it doesn't have the same kind of dynamics as the cocoon collection or the coffee table skirt and thereafter....but even in those,within that narrative,there was multitudes of beautiful,pure,well-made clothes that you wanted to own...wanted to wear.

Last edited by Scott; 05-03-2011 at 09:11 AM.
05-03-2011
This is the Renaissance

Hmmm, I don't agree with Tim Blanks at all.

I've seen a lot of gorgeous collections in the last few weeks (and hopefully a few more to see) but I keep coming back to this one.

It's just so beyond that I don't even know how to describe it. Chalayan has always been a favorite but he is working his way up there again. Where everyone else is a mere designer, he is an artist. Some of the lines here make me want to weep.

05-03-2011
front row

Simply stunning!

06-03-2011
front row

It's boring, but wearable and sophisticated.
For me, it feels like I'm staring at a blank canvas.

Last edited by Menace; 06-03-2011 at 05:25 PM.
06-03-2011
tfs star

So much better than what he has shown recently! I love that it is stripped down to those beautiful cuts. I don't understand the last two lines from the review by Tim Blanks at all and I do generally like to read his reviews. Still, I don't need a critic to tell me what's good and what's not, and I don't find the collection to be gimmicky at all.

07-03-2011
tFS STAFF

Front page on tFS today: Paris Fashion Week Fall 2011 Hits and Misses (Forum Buzz)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1112, chalayan, f or w, hussein, paris