Imitation of Christ Haute Couture FW2005 ? - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
08-07-2005
rising star

I think she is a pretentious twit. But i would wear every single dress that has been posted so far... Doesn't she just tweak vintage gear? How is that haute couture?

08-07-2005
no photos, no photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
I think Tara should have stuck to re-working because that's where her talent really was at. Or was it Matt's? I dunno. It just seems strange and quite arrogant that she would try her hand at this.

I couldn't agree with you more..........

IOC and HC don't quite match do they?

08-07-2005
rising star

i've had a feeling during her last few shows (since matt left) that she feels out of her element, like she knows she's pulling the wool over every one's eyes.

08-07-2005
backstage pass

Well guys...

I'm playing devil's advocate to an extent here but don't forget the sickly state of HC, it's not as big for the upper class to buy clothes to impress each other so if they're going to keep it they have to change it along with the way society is changing. Couture is run by its own group anyway, and I assume they make money off it, just like any business. So maybe introducing a trendy/younger house is an attempt to make couture more accessible so that people will actually pay attention to it again. Of course that's contradictory for the idea of couture, but it's not like couture is going to go anywhere unless they make some changes.

08-07-2005
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimair
so far it looks better than what she did for rtw...
agreed.. regardless she's a tweet or not (i dont know anything about her really) she can make some few cool vintage dress copies..

sure it is not couture, could it be her ss06 collection?
could the title make it any more ...acceptable?
because couture or not this is acceptable by my standards..

stereotypes are a bit ...you know :p

08-07-2005
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphelle
introducing a trendy/younger house is an attempt to make couture more accessible .
couture needs 'wearable' but inventive approach with all the dream detail craftmanship and the detailed elegance of old school..
new names, new vision, new attitude..

bringing prices down a bit could also help a lot in keeping the Houses and the Craftmanship alive..
democratisation of couture, i wouldnt mind that
new designers, indie production and lower prices please

08-07-2005
Unveil Yourself....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
thats true, apart from this the dresses look not too bad
Agreed. I don't have anything other to add then: why was she invited and why did I not know about this

twitter.com/ErikP87
08-07-2005
V.I.P.

Meh, it's bland. The dresses give me no feeling either way, I can say that isn't Haute Couture. That is available at any Urban Outfitters and quite frankly is several seasons out of date.

08-07-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena
agreed.. regardless she's a tweet or not (i dont know anything about her really) she can make some few cool vintage dress copies..

sure it is not couture, could it be her ss06 collection?
could the title make it any more ...acceptable?
because couture or not this is acceptable by my standards..

stereotypes are a bit ...you know :p
I think the dresses are gorgeous, and I agree with you that the label attatched to the collection doesn't change that. My personal philosophy is to know what I genuinely like, without getting swayed by whether something is "cool". And I like these dresses. I think it is pretentious though that she is passing them off as haute couture. I dont know heaps about her, but I am pretty sure she started off as an actress, and had an idea to revamp vintage clothes with Matt, and then this media frenzy stated around her. Im pretty sure she has had no training- (I bet if you woke up in her position you could put out a collection of beautiful dresses)- which is fine, but call a spade a spade- I just dont like that she portays herself as a visionary.

I think this is a big improvement from her last collection, which seemed over-intellectualised. This is pretty and very wearable.

08-07-2005
etre soi-meme

we dont know too much about her in EU, imitation of crist became slightly famous for one season ages ago due to their controvercial 'name' thats all i know about this label, but it seems she has some fierce 'critics*' in our forums..

(*most of whom's the taste and culture i happen to deeply respect)

08-07-2005
barcode

IOC really became known a few years ago for their reworking of vintage pieces....I believe they were all one of a kind. Then one of the duo left (Matt Damhave or something like that) and Tara Subkoff changed tactics, gained a huge "hipster celebrity" following and became an obnoxious b**ch. That's really all I know about the IOC label's history.

Maybe she's doing a Yohji and is showing during couture week regardless of the Federation's wishes...but if it is in fact a haute couture collection I'd be very shocked because for the Federation to invite her when there are designers out there with way more talent then her is just wrong.

08-07-2005
V.I.P.

it's very pretty, much better than anything I recall seeing in her collections before - but ... it looks more like a rtw line?

V.I.P.

she's arrogant or tenacious?

08-07-2005
V.I.P.

It was anounced she'd be doing couture awhile ago. It's pretty actually, but very boring.

barcode

^ Now that is the death of couture

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
christ, couture, fw2005, haute, imitation