Iris Van Herpen Haute Couture F/W 2016.17 Paris - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-07-2016
V.I.P.

Iris Van Herpen Haute Couture F/W 2016.17 Paris

nowfashion.com

04-07-2016
V.I.P.

04-07-2016
V.I.P.

A high tech D&G. Always the same.

The presentation looks so pretentious. It makes me cringe.

04-07-2016
front row

It has Mcqueen's "Plato's Atlantis" written all over it...
Still, I can't deny its beauty!!

fashion insider

Great couture stuff
She actually never dissapoints
Wish she had more money to use better models

04-07-2016
front row

Some of them do look like ripoffs of McQueen's Atlantis. Pretty nice anyway, the dress on the black model (don't know her name, my current-model knowledge is pretty limited lol) is amazing.

04-07-2016
windowshopping

So, her ready-to-wear challenge has ended? I was kind of excited and really hoping to see such a young designer passionately trying to incorporate these wonderful techniques into prÍt-ŗ-porter...
I think it’s a beautiful collection, and that it’s probably alright for her to be this way if that’s how she wants to be, though I don’t really understand why she’s chosen fashion as her medium when she makes objects for museums to exhibit, not clothes for people to wear. I really think a piece of clothing loses its meaning when it’s not made to wear. What’s the point, really?

I’ve heard the Netherlands government give financial support to designers like Van Herpen and Viktor&Rolf, which kind of indicates their principle.
But what about “fashion designers” in the country? Do they get the same level of support from the country or domestic companies?
I’m not at all familiar with Dutch fashion, but considering all the amazing talents the Netherlands has produced, from painters to footballers, I’d assume they have some good young fashion designers who could become marvellous designers like Lucas Ossendrijver and Josephs Thimister.
They might support such designers too, or they might not, I don’t know. But I sometimes wonder why we only have a few good Dutch fashion designers, and whether their government support is working properly.

Back to Van Herpen, I haven’t read any articles on this collection, so I don’t know what kinds of techniques she has applied to her stuff this time, but I don’t think she has many ideas in the first place? Her stuff basically looks samey, silhouettes are always almost exactly the same, the last look in particular is very much like the water dress she made for SHOWstudio a few years ago. Good to look at, but not covetable at all.
I want to see clothes that are new, beautiful and wearable, clothes that balance creativity and commerciality.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ominao View Post
Her stuff basically looks samey, silhouettes are always almost exactly the same, the last look in particular is very much like the water dress she made for SHOWstudio a few years ago. Good to look at, but not covetable at all.
I want to see clothes that are new, beautiful and wearable, clothes that balance creativity and commerciality.
Ditto her "clothes" do absolutely nothing for me. I pass.

04-07-2016
fashion insider

The four long dresses are gorgeous.
The rest not so much.

04-07-2016
front row

The first look is horrendous, tentacles curling out from the centre of your skirt is never a good thing. It's very McQueen, but I'm not completey mad at it.

04-07-2016
Fat Karl

She is so obnoxious. Girl, it's not 2009 anymore. Those platform heels are so delusional. And ultimately I could care less how technically masterful the clothes are when they're this ugly, useless, and dated.

04-07-2016
front row

I love her imagination and how far Iris can take her vision into actuality. The dress in the latter part of the collection felt new, love the mix of fluidity and pattern. My only issue with Iris is the symmetrical, fractal approach gets a bit too repetitive.

07-07-2016
trendsetter

Such a unique designer, there really is no one else like her out there at the moment. Pictures simply don't do her pieces justice because you have to see them in motion, they really take a life of their own. I hopes she continues to show her couture because I have missed it so much, completely unrestrained and full of ideas, not watered down like her ready to wear (so it is wearable and sellable). I don't care if these are impractical, they are still absolutely amazing works of art. Keep doing what you're doing Iris!

V.I.P.

Beautiful clothes and technique. Of course most of it isn't wearable but that's not her point. It's art.

Gorgeous setting and presentation.

Finally a designer is being creative and not commercial, like all the other designers everyone complains about, and you guys are throwing sh!t at her. Jesus.

07-07-2016
fashion insider

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
couture, f or w, haute, herpen, iris, paris, van