How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-03-2009
botanizing on the asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheneveriwakeup View Post
Idk maybe I'm too old school, but a part of me wishes all these stylists would've remained enigmas... it's becoming much too difficult to separate their own personal style from their achievements as stylists.... It's a shame because a lot of these people are truly talented...

Alt, Roitfeld, Lanphear, etc... the immense interest in their personal style, lives and philosophy on clothes + fashion is understandable..
Let's be frank, it is nice to see pictures of people with true style, whether they be fashion types or random individuals on the street... and one can't help but wonder what these people are like and also what kind of things these people may find appealing...
But this almost celeb-like frenzy in regards to these people is taking a toll on the richness and strength of their work as stylists...

But ah, I digress... am def. on a tangent... sorry mods!
I agree 100% and I think this really needed to be said. Personal style may inflect one's work as a creator (stylist, in this case) but it should not over take the object itself. I would love to hear some stylists sound off on this...in another thread of course. :p

07-03-2009
a hymn to darkness

Hey Laika! Thanks for the sweet karma... great seeing you too, love

I agree. That'd make for a great conversation...

Frozen irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemeray View Post
I don't think you can even compare Balmain to this...Balmain didn't invent shoulder pads...mini dresses are nothing new!...their are no blatent references to Balmain...
No, he did not invent shoulder pads..but take a jacket when it's military inspired, suede and the extended shoulder pads..I believe Balmain produced a jacket exact like that in his collection.

It is also the swarovski crystal used..the shiny material..very party-girl... the boots look like Balmain did a couple of seasons ago which all the editors were wearing, which also had studs and suede.

I am just seeing too much of a 'euro trash' look here..and I am not liking it..but I guess it will suit her new L.A clientele

08-03-2009
V.I.P.

what i would like to know, is, in isabel marant's case who steered the cart, her or the stylist? isabel marant, seems like a strong willed woman, but if this isnt her show then why bother? keeping in mind, the runway show is a staged version of the collection, its our personal style thats the greatest test of all. i think when this gets to stores it will be a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by luckyme; 08-03-2009 at 05:31 PM.
08-03-2009
front row

I really like this collection!

08-03-2009
front row

...im incredibly dissapointed, Isabel (((

29-03-2009
V.I.P.

beautiful collection imo

30-03-2009
Swim Upstream

i like some of the pieces from this collection...but iam not sure about the overall vibe that she is routing. I was first attracted to IM in 2001 - on my honeymoon in Paris I bought a couple of pieces before I had even heard of her as a dsigner...i.e I genuinely liked the clothes not just any hype surrounding the label...and what attracted me was a sort of innocence...gamine cuteness, sexy but not knowingly-so.....if that makes sense. A typical french insouance....like jane birkin I suppose. This however seems to have moved away from that starting point.....which I guess maybe is understandable and everyone moves on or grows up....there is a much greater emphasis on sexy dressing......but not in such an innocent way. Maybe its Alt (I suspect so), maybe its giving people what they want.....(she is much more commercially sucessful now than when I first started buying her stuff).....

Its still good...and come Autumn in paris I will probably find 101 things I want....but I am just less keen on the vibe of the show.

07-08-2009
backstage pass

I love it, adore it! It's like someone has taken what I attempt to construct in my personal style and put it all on the catwalk. I'm in love and if I had to pick ONE label to wear (head to shoes) this would be it.
to all the amazing forumers who posted up the entire collection!

flaunt the imperfection..

so weird..
IM trying to be balmain...

why???...

i have always really liked animal prints...
hoping that once the line is pulled apart and arrives in stores there will at least be something interesting in that print....

doesn't look like it at this point though......

bummer!

13-08-2009
V.I.P.

this is popping up in some of the fall magazines and is about right. the redeeming factor may be in the silk chiffon skirts and tops.

27-08-2009
V.I.P.

redacted, the animal print pieces are too short, tight and vavoom for the marant aesthetic.

28-12-2009
trendsetter

This Is Her Best Collection Ever!!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0910, f or w, isabel, marant, paris