How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-05-2014
.my prison is your brain.

J.Crew to Open Lower-Priced Chain, Mercantile
I guess in the same vein as Banana Republic, Gap, Old Navy : J. Crew, Madewell, Mercantile

Quote:
Report: J.Crew to Open Lower-Priced Chain, Mercantile

Earlier this year, there were reports that J.Crew was planning to lower prices -- only to be quashed (how sad!) by the retailer's in-house PR. Well now it seems that more affordable J.Crew may soon be a reality: According to the Wall Street Journal, the company is planning to open a new, more budget-conscious chain called J.Crew Mercantile.

J.Crew has indeed registered the trademark J.Crew Mercantile, a filing in the United States Patent and Trademark Office reveals. The filing was made in November of last year to cover such goods and services as bags, wallets, umbrellas, footwear, jewelry and apparel. A rep for J.Crew would not confirm whether the name is being used for a new chain, but sources tell WSJ that the retailer is developing a new store format under the name which will sell merchandise in line with what you might find at J.Crew Factory, at a comparable price point. This, however, would not have the same "outlet" association -- it would be its own brand with its own full-price merchandise and discounts.

While fashion people fall more in love with J.Crew each season for its Jenna Lyons-fueled, high-end, fashion-forward items and its fancy collaborations with the likes of Sophia Webster, the retailer's elevated aesthetic and prices haven't completely caught on with its more budget-conscious customers.
fashionista

02-05-2014
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAnne View Post
I guess in the same vein as Banana Republic, Gap, Old Navy : J. Crew, Madewell, Mercantile

fashionista
i wonder how it's going to compare with madewell.

mercantile might try to compete with C. Wonder (the chain from tory burch's husband)

fashion icon

I thought Gap was already the lower priced J Crew?

02-05-2014
front row

GAP vs JCrew- mh, GAP has mixed-wool jumpers whereas JCrew has pure merino and cashmere ones... same with the silk items...UK's high street brands have so much polyester on offer, I would really welcome more options

front row

This is really not the path I wish to see them take, since jcrew is one of the few 'upscale' high street brands that offer reasonably high quality, compared to topshop, hm, gap etc.
This is just going to dilute their brand image.
At this rate, I feel they should just sell themselves to uniqlo, as per the rumors.

09-05-2014
flaunt the imperfection

i don't know...
if they go back to their old basics of cute flannel PJ's and updated wool peacoats and striped waffle henleys, etc...
and they do it with reasonable quality at a reasonable price, i think that would be great...
(and i don't mean crap from china that falls apart immediately- like H&M)
they used to do great wool flannel herringbone and tweed trousers and the like as well...
all lined~!
i also miss their old swim section and their summer cargo shorts...
they used to have a great 'american summer at cape cod' feel...

very classic stuff with a modern cut and fit...
truly timeless...and not dowdy...just classic...
good at any age...

i miss that completely...

i do think that gap should be jumping into that arena...
but they haven't and someone needs to!

Last edited by softgrey; 09-05-2014 at 05:06 PM.
09-05-2014
.my prison is your brain.

UPDATE, this doesn't seem to be in the works any time soon:

Quote:
J.Crew CEO Mickey Drexler dampened our hopes just a little today when he told WWD that his company bought the license to the name J.Crew Mercantile simply because he liked the name — not necessarily because, as previously reported, J.Crew is planning to launch a cheaper line.

“Mercantile is a name we own. There’s not much beyond that. It’s a name that was available and we liked. The way we run the company, we are always thinking creatively, innovating, and managing our assets. We have secured names and trademarks with either loose ideas or intentions, or with our imaginations. Sometimes things come of it, or they don’t," said Drexler, adding that the company has registered several other names over the years, though he declined to specify them.

As for media reports that the company might be using the name to launch a lower-priced offshoot, Drexler said: “It’s kind of been distorted beyond the reality of what it is." Maybe the positive response to these reports ought to change his mind?...
nymag

But softgrey I am 100% behind your plea to bring back the lined trousers! The quality of J. Crew's dress pants has nosedived in recent years (yet the price is the same if not higher!). And enough of the super skinny&cropped pants, I'm not a fashion blogger I have an actual 9-5 job that I want to look professional at.

11-05-2014
flaunt the imperfection

seriously---
and i, personally, do not want to be a jenna lyons clone...

they seem to be doing fine with the generation who grew up on sex and the city and doesn't realize that those characters were a JOKE on a situation COMEDY ...
not role models to be emulated...
whatevs...

ah, well...
maybe next year...

Last edited by softgrey; 11-05-2014 at 03:21 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chain, jcrew, lowerpriced, mercantile, open