How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-01-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmycolin View Post
I 100% agree with IloveDiorHomme here. I was at the show yesterday, and it was a pretty fantastic show. I'm a huge fan of Jonathan's work, but this time around when I saw it I felt a little bit teary because I found it to be beautiful, as silly as that sounds.

He pushes boundaries. He's trying to get men to veer away from suits, and go for something different. He's catering to his clientele that buy his wares, and to me, this is a perfect collection. I think people who rag on this don't really appreciate the fact he's trying to show people you don't always have to be so prim, and proper.

It was a very sexual collection, to me. I mean, mini-dresses? Bustiers? Shorts that were skirts but were short skirts that were shorts? Absolutely genius! I want to wear those, and I hate my legs! I think this was a brilliant collection, big gold star for you, Jonathan!
I am glad I am the only to appreciate this collection. I find it very desirable indeed, it's so pure, poetic, peculiar and sexy at the same time. It's definitely a fashion-forward collection.

10-01-2013
fashion insider

Miuccia would be dissapointed to know J.W. took the concept of her menswear F/W 08.09 collection, mixed in with Miu Miu F/W 10.11, and made it incredibly more feminine and incredibly unwearable for even the dynamic male to wear without feeling insecure about his sexuality.

Last edited by GERGIN; 10-01-2013 at 02:21 PM.
10-01-2013
V.I.P.

^Sexuality and clothing have nothing to do with each other. I think that's precisely what he was trying to communicate here. 'Real guys can wear skirts, too!'
That doesn't mean that everyone likes it and would wear it - I wouldn't be caught dead with those skirt/short things - but just because it's not to my taste does not mean that it's bad. Mean tailoring, looks of beautiful details on those last dresses. And besides, there are some neutral, gender-appropriate, beautiful sweaters and tailored pants.

10-01-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneSkipper View Post
^Sexuality and clothing have nothing to do with each other. I think that's precisely what he was trying to communicate here. 'Real guys can wear skirts, too!'
That doesn't mean that everyone likes it and would wear it - I wouldn't be caught dead with those skirt/short things - but just because it's not to my taste does not mean that it's bad. Mean tailoring, looks of beautiful details on those last dresses. And besides, there are some neutral, gender-appropriate, beautiful sweaters and tailored pants.
You're right, real guys can wear skirts, but THOSE skirts? Who are you kidding? I've seen designers do much more appealing androgynous clothes than J.W. Anderson. He brings zero originality to this collection, not to mention bland colors, I bid you good look selling clothes in this market J.W. Anderson, you'll desperately need it, hopefully you can also come up with your own identity and not try to steal a designers instead.

backstage pass

I don't remember a best collection for men. I really love it

Dressing like a woman isn't a shame, and this collection is the future.

V.I.P.

My eyes still hurt from this.

31-05-2013
windowshopping

Honestly this collection is such a dose of daringness.
It's so "out there" but actually makes the figure rather attractive. I know a lot are complaining about how short the skirts are, or how the collection questions sexuality...but this is absolutely fabulous and I think his ability to make it so short and dauntless, yet still attractive, is amazing.
I find it artistic and not at all an ugly, senseless collection. It pushes boundries on what is menswear and what isn't, and I like that.
Defintely want to see more of this!

02-06-2013
doldrums

I know I'm months late with this comment, I recently watched a small portion of an interview J.W. Anderson did with ShowStudio. When I first saw pictures from this show, my first thought was that it was a middle finger to the audience or a rebellion. I now have a better understanding and can appreciate this approach and vision more.

I wouldn't call this androgyny or even gender fluidity. It's very masculine. Women bodies and our clothes are sexualized and this type of sexualization rarely and often doesn't translate over to the aesthetics of men fashion and bodies. Anderson said that the only time when men are seen or advertise in a sexual manner is when they're dressed in their underwear. Women it doesn't matter what we wear, covered from head to toe or nothing at all, we're sexualized in any way possible and he wanted to apply some of that sexuality and sexualization to his collection.

It's very telling when our mind internalize a tube top as a silhouette for women and what exactly is a tube top anyway? A shirt, with exposed shoulders. And what is so feminine about this kind of silhouette? What's so gender specific about this? Rhetorical questions of course. This collection made me see and questions things I didn't see or question before. This is collection well done, not only that but made me think of my own biases, internalization of gender and other ideas I never addressed or thought about.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1314, anderson, f or w, jw, london, mens