How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-01-2013
backstage pass

Pretty much without fail, I am impressed with Gaultier's clothing, always for differing reasons. And that may be one of the keys to his success - he's forever re-inventing and maturing his style. I love the excitement, the creativity, the themes.. it's so refreshing and inspiring to view as a designer. The tailoring here is truly divine.
Holy smokes what I wouldn't do to intern/apprentice with him.

12-01-2013
Stitch:the Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenius View Post
When I read the review re: re-interpreting items from past/early 80's Gaultier, I wonder if he was looking at pieces from when Martin Margiela was a part of his team. While I'm not 100% certain on all things Margiela, there are pieces that do seem to have that MMM spirit: the asymmetric coats, the half-leather jackets, the leather bustier with attached skirt in the back & sides, the cream colored gown that only wraps around most of the knit gown beneath, plus the pants done in 2 different fabrics & cuts on each leg. But who knows--maybe it's nothing more than two different designers sharing a similar approach to design.
i dunno i guess to a degree i can see a margiela spirit here but if you go back and look at a lot of JPG's earlier work he wasn't without a lot of these elements himself. even though margiela was much more concept oriented and less about fashion,he and JPG did share a lot in common in terms of construction and humour.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, gaultier, jean, paul, prefall