How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-03-2004
front row

Massardi resigned last week! yet another small triumph for jil

27-03-2004
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally posted by nikos@Mar 27th, 2004 - 5:41 pm
wow...

27-03-2004
etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by nikos@Mar 27th, 2004 - 11:41 pm
thanks for the news nikos, anything for Jill to do it her way

28-03-2004
no tom ford, no thanks.

is every fashion house in upheval? i would love to see someone do an over arching story about all of the conflicts that have taken place in the past twelve months in these conglomerates? it would fill a book, easily.

flaunt the imperfection

yes mike...i believe every house is in some sort of conflict right now...dismal sales will cause stress and pressure every time... everyone is in a panic...

at least rei kawakubo is experimenting with alternative solutions...she' on the right track, imo...

30-03-2004
front row

Vukmirovic's 2003 figures revealed - a staggering loss of €28.2 million, turnover decreasing once more from €138.8 million in 2002 to €125.7 million in 2003.

01-04-2004
etre soi-meme

here, more facts & numbers on the JilSander label

Quote:
Wednesday March 31, 2004
Despite Jil’s Return, Sander Stays in Red

By Courtney Colavita

MILAN — Last year may have marked the return of Jil Sander to the company that bears her name, but it wasn’t enough to bring the Prada-owned fashion house out of the red.

Jil Sander Group widened its net loss to $34.6 million in 2003 from $32 million in the previous year. Dollar figures have been converted from the euro at current exchange. In local currency Jil Sander reported a net loss of 28.4 million euros versus 26.3 million euros in 2002.

Group revenues, hurt by unfavorable exchange rates and the residual effects of the SARS epidemic, slid 9.4 percent to $153.4 million, or 125.7 million euros, from $169.4 million, or 138.8 million euros in 2002. The company said on a constant currency basis, sales fell 2.6 percent to $164.9 million, or 135.1 million euros.

“With this difficult year behind us, we have signs 2004 is off to a good start thanks to Mrs. Sander’s return as creative director,” Bernhard Wirmer, chief financial officer of Jil Sander Group, said in a statement. “Orders and sales for the spring-summer and fall-winter collections have been very strong.” The statement went on to say that Sander’s return was “especially important” for the company’s “overall strategy, image and brand equity.”

After a three-year absence, Sander returned to the fashion house last May. Her first collection, which was well received by both the press and retailers, bowed this spring.
from wwd

01-04-2004
V.I.P.

she will have to do something extraordinary to keep the buyers coming for more than one season

07-04-2004
backstage pass

interesting...

it's always hard to see a design through without any issues. a designer unfortunately has to navigate through all the red tape that makes up his or her staff, management, etc... and focus on bringing their design to reality.

and prototype to production, adherance to quality, and a shared philosophy to build a better product... it's an uphill battle. you add to it cultural beliefs, readily accepting of details like quality materials, craftmanship, etc... it gets crazy...

=) makes me tired just thinking of all the people skills I navigate daily when it comes to my own designs. but the end, the product-when it's built correctly and becomes even more beautiful than you imagine, it makes all that effort worth it.

16-11-2004
windowshopping

Jil Sander
From german news websites:
"
Ad-hoc-announcement transmitted by DGAP:

JIL SANDER AG, the Hamburg fashion company announces, that JIL SANDER AG and designer Jil Sander have agreed to amicably terminate their cooperation.

end of ad-hoc-announcement ©DGAP 16.11.2004
"

16-11-2004
flaunt the imperfection

hi wildgans...welcome to tfs...and thanks for the info...

i'm not sure what it means...?...

16-11-2004
front row

Quote:
Fashion Designer Jil Sander Quits Again

In a surprise move, Jil Sander will for the second time in five years stop working for the fashion design company that bears her name. Her firm announced the decision Tuesday in Hamburg in a mandatory communication to the stock market. The German designer and her company had "agreed amicably to end their cooperation," the statement said. Jil Sander had only returned to the company in May 2003, after a three-year respite in the wake of disagreements with then Prada boss Patrizio Bertelli. Sander had sold controlling stakes in her company to the Italian Prada group in 1999. The Jil Sander label suffered profit losses from her departure and only started to recover once the designer returned to work there.

flaunt the imperfection

holy cow!!!
i wonder if that means right away ...or if there will be one more season...
what the heck happened this time???

and there's another job up for grabs...

16-11-2004
trendsetter

Personally, I'm not so surprised. I don't know about the financial figures, but I didn't think new the Sander designed collections were up to much. I think she is, unfortunately, very much a "nineties" aesthetic designer (I know she was around before that but as far as I know it is during the 90s that she became properly successful). She didn't seem to me to be able to move on very much. In addition, I don't think the label could recover properly from the period where she wasn't there. I also think that the quality wasn't so good any more. It was still very expensive, but the production values seemed to have gone down. It's a shame though. I remember seeing a women's Jil Sander suit for the first time and being bowled over by the quality of it - the weight of the fabric, the depth of the colour, the cut, the simplicity. To me, that wasn't there any more.

16-11-2004
Swim Upstream

I beg to differ johnny. The spring summer Sander collection is spot on I think. She has moved on & is gaining her stride.

...and was there not a particular silvery white skirt you were raving about.....?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
jil, sander