How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-02-2012
tfs star

To say this is the best collection ever in the history of fashion maybe a little over the top, but to call Raf Simons overrated and his designs boring is a major understatement. I'm not even going to try to defend his designs, because quite frankly, anyone with taste and an understanding of minimalism can see the level of craftsmanship this man has cultivated over the years at Jil Sander. Minimalism is so under-appreciated in regards to the complexity and difficulty of creating something exquisite (not the popularity of it as a trend), relying on tailoring and fabrication.

Last edited by Ives927; 25-02-2012 at 11:26 AM.

25-02-2012
fashion insider

Truly stunning collection; beautiful in so many ways. Thanks for the HQs Fashion_Girl22.

25-02-2012
trendsetter

This was so lovely to watch, truly beautiful what a wonderful way to leave on.

25-02-2012
V.I.P.

Ives927 Sorry, but that is what I think, that's my opinion. I say whatever I want... and if you think you can change it... so, try it

Last edited by Pradable; 25-02-2012 at 11:41 AM.
25-02-2012
Stitch:the Hand

i agree with you ives....i think the reaction is a bit over the top,imo. maybe guided by the emotions of the situation? it's perfectly good but it's really kind of sanitized for raf. and certainly not the best collection he's done at JS.

collections like this exemplify why jil sander needs to return. because there is absolutely nothing JS about this. as tricot was saying she lied the groundwork for a liberated woman....like a less conceptual yohji yamamoto she did strong tailoring,menswear materials,cool,relaxed minimalism. this is so saccharine it completely contradicts the essence of JS.

it really kind of disappoints me in a way because it just screams,"i'm going to dior".....because the entire thing looks like a tribute to his signatures.

25-02-2012
tfs star

I know it's your opinion and I have no desire or intention of changing it. It has no benefits for me in doing so.

I was simply expressing that it's a shame minimalism is seen as boring as lot of times. And Raf isn't overrated. In fact, I think he has been underrated until recent years, then came along Spring 2011 and now all the rumors surrounding him and Dior with his departure at Jil Sander, adding to his hype.

25-02-2012

i don't think raf is overrated at all. i think raf selling out to the machine of fashion is what's become overrated. i really would love to see him return that form that was not so much "l'enfant terrible" but certainly one that went against the grain....shunned the ideals of the industry so he could stay true to himself.

25-02-2012
fashion insider

There are a few pieces that I'm not too big a fan of, but I think it's nearly impossible to like every piece in a collection. For the most part, the silhouettes and colours are incredible! I think this is about as feminine and elegant as minimalism gets.

clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
i don't think raf is overrated at all. i think raf selling out to the machine of fashion is what's become overrated. i really would love to see him return that form that was not so much "l'enfant terrible" but certainly one that went against the grain....shunned the ideals of the industry so he could stay true to himself.
If he is going to Dior (or to YSL that almost seems like better match) it only makes sense to showcase his ability to make other clothes than what passes for minimalist avantgarde. And he has done so quite admirably.

25-02-2012
fashion insider

I see femininity here the way it was shown at Rick Owens SS12, very pure, elegant, timeless and almost REGAL, unlike the Prada SS12 "femininity" of retro lace, cars, and other 50s references. I find this collection strong despite the paler shades and the pinks, not to mention the fantastic volume, because of the element of the "couture" like complex cut and construction, without any distraction like appliques, surface decorations, prints, etc. from the serene minimalism. This is one of the best collections I've seen from him, and it is a highly refined way of interpreting the trends towards volume and softer feminism.

This is so different from Dior, especially the overwrought Dior that sells millions of bags, shoes, trinkets, etc., the garish "Quartier Pigalle" make-up and degrade, loud embellished Dior, I can't see this collection as a calling card for Dior.

Last edited by Zazie; 25-02-2012 at 12:18 PM.
25-02-2012

honestly,i've always felt raf had more depth than simply being minimalist. that's not what concerns me.....to me i feel he's presenting a very safe,somewhat shallow version of what he's actually capable of doing. people often criticised(mostly those with mainstream attention spans) as much as others lauded raf's work in the past,saying that he never had range but looking beneath everything and in his cutting is where you saw this extraordinary intricacy and innovation. there was just wonderful sense of mystery in his work that i appreciated. nothing like that seems to be the case today.

25-02-2012
God Save McQueen

This is just fantastic. Lovely and ladylike with a hint of subversion with the latex. I think he would do excellent at Dior. If he doesn't end up there, it would be a waste.

25-02-2012
V.I.P.

Details

vogue.co.uk

25-02-2012
V.I.P.

vogue.co.uk

25-02-2012
V.I.P.

vogue.co.uk

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags